Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maybe a little songdog hunting Sat morning... #148104 07/31/2014 2:36 AM
jwarren Offline OP
OP Offline
A friend and I were planning to go to a closeby gun show Sat morning, but his Uncle died, so now he will be involved with that on Sat. So, I can go to the gun show and perhaps be able scare up a little powder or I was thinking that I might just go hit a couple of spots to see if I could get taker on the FOXPRO.
It is a tough call as I would really like to go to the gunshow, but we have had somewhat of a cool down here in south Ga and I would kinda like to take advantage of that and try the coyotes.
Another quandary...but I am leaning toward the hunt.

Re: Maybe a little songdog hunting Sat morning... [Re: jwarren] #148108 07/31/2014 3:37 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
From what I've seen at gun shows of late, I'd take the day afield.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Maybe a little songdog hunting Sat morning... [Re: s4s4u] #148116 07/31/2014 12:55 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
I'd get after the Coyotes too. The mornings have been nice and cooler around here too and it has me thinking of Coyotes also. However with all the crops in the fields and the majority crop up here being Corn it makes things tough for calling Coyotes this time of the year.

Good luck on the hunt.

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Maybe a little songdog hunting Sat morning... [Re: Larry in SD] #148153 08/01/2014 2:16 AM
jwarren Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Larry in SD
I'd get after the Coyotes too. The mornings have been nice and cooler around here too and it has me thinking of Coyotes also. However with all the crops in the fields and the majority crop up here being Corn it makes things tough for calling Coyotes this time of the year.

Good luck on the hunt.

It is tough for calling coyotes in Ga anytime of year. We do not have open land here...this is all woodland. Coyotes in dense vegetation are tough critters to hunt. They will come in, you will never see them, and they will work their nose until they nail you. Also, just like in your area, they virtually never stop moving. I have been hunting them off and on for 25yrs and I figure that you have about 5 seconds to shoot, after a coyote shows himself.

These things combine to make a coyote in my area, that is called and killed...a trophy. But, it is fun...

Last edited by jwarren; 08/01/2014 4:11 AM.
Re: Maybe a little songdog hunting Sat morning... [Re: jwarren] #148160 08/01/2014 4:06 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Go hunting. For most of us the "hunt" is the goal of our sport. Gear shopping is good but actual hunting is far greater. My condolences to your friend and his family.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Maybe a little songdog hunting Sat morning... [Re: billa] #148170 08/01/2014 1:13 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
I consider every Coyote I call in and kill a trophy. Some times I win some times the coyotes win. Our coyote population seems to be on the down hill slide and the Fox are coming back. Haven't called in a killed a Fox in several years so may have to concentrate on them again this year. Good luck with the Coyotes.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod