Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
reloading die question..... questions #148619 08/15/2014 12:15 AM
nytracker Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I am new to reloading. I am having some problems that I was sure was caused by me. Now I am not so sure it is me. First I am loading 44 mag. First step resize and decap once fired brass and resize np. Check case length 1.282 . Set expander and flare just enough to start bullet. Set die and adjust seating depth np set crimp as per rcbs directions crimp a little at a time . I get a a decent crimp just need a little more .... and I buckle the case. Now I set this up 8 times and still buckle the case. Call rcbs... guy goes through set up procedure on the phone walks me through it step by step still buckles the case. Guy was great great customer service. Says he doesnt know perhaps cut back case a little try again. Set up case trimmer , sized case wont fit over piolet. Measure piolet it reads .426 check sized case, not belled it measures . 421. Call rcbs back and ask what a sized case should measure after resizing. I get it could very... . If I would like I can ship my die set and have them inspected but theres probably nothing wrong. First question what should a properly sized case read id. Could to long a case cause buckling?
Next question my redding case trimmer says to trim after sizing ... before belling. Rcbs rep says to trim after belling... How does that give you an accurate trim length.... and it contradicts rcbs printed directions... ?
Oh if it helps I am trying to load 240 grain cmj bullets that have a really light cannelure..the buckling is occurring half way down the case not at the cannelure.

Last edited by nytracker; 08/15/2014 1:27 AM.

Save liberals from them selves, stich their sphincter closed so they cant talk out their arse
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: nytracker] #148623 08/15/2014 12:51 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My RCBS 44 expander mic's at .4275". If those bullets just happen to have a real thick skin, as well as a shallow cannelure, you may be asking for too much crimp. If crimp bottoms out and the handle keeps pulling, the case is all that's left to give. I always trim after the first F/L sizing for uniformity.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: s4s4u] #148624 08/15/2014 12:55 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Mike, make sure the brass is all the same length,it may help you to seat and crimp separately.

Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: racksmasher1] #148628 08/15/2014 2:08 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
Seat and crimp in two steps bud. Should fix the problem.

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: GlennS] #148633 08/15/2014 2:47 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hornady brass??

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: H2OBUG] #148635 08/15/2014 3:09 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Does the bullet have a cannelure ( knurled groove ) in the body of the bullet? Speer #14 manual has good section on crimping. Alternative is to get a taper crimping die ( Redding, Lee custom - on Lee's website ) and avoid using the roll crimp. Best advice: Speer #14 manual.

Doc

Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: doc with a glock] #148650 08/15/2014 2:23 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Rack and Glenn have it correct, you need to seat and crimp in two steps at least for now to isolate your variables here. Also when you trim, you need to chamfer and debur the case mouth.

The case is buckling because the die is trying to push the bullet down while at the same time squeezing for the crimp. If you did not debur and chamfer the case and/or you are trying to get too much crimp, the one step seat and crimp will not work.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: GlennS] #148658 08/15/2014 3:03 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Use a separate roll crimp die. That should help with the cases buckling, and it'll provide a stronger crimp.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: Chance Weldon] #148667 08/15/2014 4:37 PM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
fly...Sorry you are having trouble w/44 mag dies.. A couple suggestion that may help..First is Cleanliness. l tumble fired cases before AND After sizing/primer pocket cleaning...Second, l adjust crimp/seating die using a loaded factory round.. After adjusting the seat/crimp die l insert an empty belled/sized case and insert a bullet.. Then l slowly begin seating my bullet.. l stop and check the seating progress frequently.. lf l sense or feel ANY resistance l ''STOP''...Most of the time buckled cases are caused by the crimp being started before the bullet is fully seated...

l trim cases for competition/target/hunting rounds... l have only started recently seating and crimping in separate steps...This is on my S&W PC 460 Magnum l got awhile back to provide a sufficient crimp to handle the heavy recoil of the gun..

Dont give up or get discouraged...Making my own custom ammo is just about the most satisfying part of shooting... Knowing l have made a round that can shoot as accurate and sometimes better than the factory feels really good..PLUS..l can make rounds NO factory produces

Last edited by sw282; 08/15/2014 4:38 PM.
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: sw282] #148748 08/17/2014 7:51 PM
nytracker Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
How do you adjust seater to stop before crimping when you adjust seat then crimp then screw seater down till it just touches seated and crimped bullet?
Thanks for the info guys.

Save liberals from them selves, stich their sphincter closed so they cant talk out their arse
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: nytracker] #148749 08/17/2014 8:10 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I adjust the seater long and stop when I have the bullet as deep as I want. Then back seating stem out so it dosent touch and adjust crimp . With the crimp adjusted and ram in up position screw the seating stem back down to touch the bullet, and lock it down. A factory crimp die in a seperate operation is the best way for me,but I use both systems.

junebug
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: junebug] #148756 08/17/2014 11:28 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I adjust the seater long and stop when I have the bullet as deep as I want. Then back seating stem out so it dosent touch and adjust crimp . With the crimp adjusted and ram in up position screw the seating stem back down to touch the bullet, and lock it down.

Bingo! I have never had a problem with crimping and seating in one pull of the handle. If the bullet has a good cannelure I seat to the upper middle of the cannelure and then set the crimp. When adusted correctly the crimp just rolls into the cannelure as the bullet is taking that last set. But if there is little or no cannelure on a jacketed bullet you can only crimp so much regardless of how you do it.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: reloading die question..... questions [Re: nytracker] #148769 08/18/2014 1:58 AM
campbellkids Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Best bet for me anyway was to purchase a taper die or a factory crimp die, from lee. I love the taper crimp when i have mixed brass.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod