Next Thread
Print Thread
Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com #148713 08/17/2014 12:36 AM
Hoggin Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Super Munk
A partnership between Bayside Custom Gunworks and SWFA.
By: Christopher Rhodes. Owner of BCG. http://www.BaysideCustomGunworks.com
We set the goal of a long range 22 handgun after hunting prairie dogs at WYSHOT 2014 hosted by Ernie Bishop. The goal was set at ¼ mile with a 22LR. On the long 30 hour drive back Jeremey England and I dreamed up a project. When I got bot to my shop a Keystone Arms Chipmunk pistol was ordered. The barrel was chunked and replaced with a Green Mountain blank and reamed with an “extra tight” chamber reamer I designed. The trigger was worked down and the stock was bedded. A custom scope mount was added as well as an older 10x42 SS by SWFA. The gun shot great. Groups were way above and beyond what I expected out of this little critter. Here we have Super Munk phase 1.
[URLm://s1236.photobucket.com/user/bcgunworks/media/IMG_0007_zpse2b280dd.jpg.html][/URL]
Even tho the gun shot great there was a problem. The ergonomics of the gun were horrible. The stock was form fitting and would not allow for a relaxed grip. Under recoil the little stock wanted to twist in the hand as well. So I set out to cut a new stock from a blank. I am primarily and handgun hunter and by handgun I mean traditional revolvers and semi autos. So when I designed the stock I traced a Smith and Wesson K frame grip into the stock. Its curves allow a relaxed grip and fill my hand well. I also added aluminum to the underside of the fore end and the butt. The butt and the fore end are machined in parallel so the gun will track smoothly on bags. The stock only has two coats of poly on it at this point due to the fact more shaping will likely take place before WYSHOT 2015 when we attempt the ¼ mile prairie dog shot. After the final finish is applied this thing will look like a NASCAR with the stickers from sponsors!
Super Munk Phase 2.

The Optics!
http://www.SWFA.com supplied us with a new scope to replace the older SS. They sent us a 12x42 MRAD SS!( http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-12x42-...flescope-P53714.aspx )
Upon initial unpacking and inspection the scope looks pretty much the same as the older SS. The knobs are different due to the MIL/MIL adjustments. The scope has a nice matte finish and the built in sun shade should work great in the field just like the older SS I was using.
The MRAD reticle appears to be leaps and bounds ahead of the MIL dot reticle as far as its usefulness for smaller targets since the reticles measurement features are transparent and will not obscure as much of the target.
[IMG]
First Range Trip with the Super Munk Phase 2 and the 12x MRAD!
Today after the last coat of poly was dry the Super Munk was tightened down into the bedding and off to the shop range I went. I didn’t even bore sight the optic, I just started out at 25 yards and used the Mil/Mil reticle and was roughly centered in 10 minutes or less. Then I moved back to 100 and did some serious work. I decided to get prone using the bipod and field bag. With the new stock the gun had minimal recoil and I did not lose sight picture during the shots. I was able to use the MIL/MIL to make adjustments and I found this to be quite easy. You just have to beat the thinking of inches out of your head! And yes it’s difficult to break old habits.
The Super Munk was fired with the barrel tuner removed today. Bellow you can see pictures of our groupings and the Super Munk Phase 2. Groups are 5 shots at 100 yards. Fired off a bipod and rear bag.
[URL=http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/bcgunworks/media/12XReticle_zps01ffbc85.jpg.html]

A lot more reviews to come! And A LOT MORE DISTANCE!

------------------------------
Bayside Custom Gunworks
Mathews, VA
Custom Firearms, Full Service Machine Shop, In House Metal Finishing, Gunsmithing, Firearms Sales, and Hunting/Shooting Supplies.
http://www.BaysideCustomGunworks.com

Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: Hoggin] #148715 08/17/2014 1:12 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Welcome Chris!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: Ernie] #148718 08/17/2014 2:15 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcom! That's a fine creation and very accurate!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: KRal] #148725 08/17/2014 1:11 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Chris,

The SuperMunk is one bad .22 - can't wait to see your results at long range!

What ammo are your running in it? Does it digest all brands that well?

Dur

Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: SChunter] #148729 08/17/2014 1:38 PM
Hoggin Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Only ammo I have found that it won't chamber is cci

It will even shoot golden bullets well

Sub sonic is key for distance. When it goes supersonic to sub it looses stability

Right now I am running Aguila 40 rn sub sonic

Swfa sent me some gem tech ammo to try. I have not shot it yet

Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: Hoggin] #148730 08/17/2014 1:40 PM
Hoggin Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Average groups with just about everything I shot. 20 different brands/loads from hv and sub. Match and junk. We're all 1/2" at 50 or better. Many were sub 1/2" at 100

Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: Hoggin] #148738 08/17/2014 4:36 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That's impressive...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: jamesfromjersey] #148741 08/17/2014 6:29 PM
tracker77 Offline
addict
addict
That's great accuracy.

Do not take your greatness to the graveyard!!
Re: Super munk. Sponsored by swfa.com [Re: tracker77] #148755 08/17/2014 11:00 PM
Hoggin Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Did a little 200 yard shooting. And did a little more grip shaping trying to get it just right. I ran the 1/5 scales at 200 with very good consistency. The left right stuff is all me and my grip/trigger. Once again I'm new to specialty pistols. I'm a standard handgun guy.

The reticle really shows it's usefulness at distance. The sun was at my back so I could see the bullets arc in and read my adjustments with the reticle.

Still using the same ammo. I had to come up 7.5 mils from 50 to 200.

Last edited by Bcgunworks; 08/17/2014 11:03 PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod