Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help me understand this please. #148865 08/20/2014 8:56 PM
TM Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

There have been several requests for a full power 44 mag. Load that recoils substantially less than our other Heavy 44 mag. Loads, but will still penetrate deeply and be deadly on game animals.

"Lower Recoil"??? I would guess compared to the heavier loads, 300 gr. and bigger, this would probably be "reduced recoil" Is that how they are able to use the term reduced recoil? I'm not a ballistics expert and I don't even play one on TV but I would think that a comparable load to the advertised 255 gr. Keith bullet the recoil from both would be close to the same, from the same gun at least. I wouldn't think you can reach velocity close to 1350 FPS, give or take a few and have "lower recoil?

Re: Help me understand this please. [Re: TM] #148876 08/21/2014 12:38 AM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, for a 'full house' load, the only way to reduce felt recoil is to have the bullet take as much energy with it down range. The way to do that is to use a light bullet.
I know a lot of the more recent variants of white tail will just shake off a 180 grain .430" round. But if you can find an older model one that doesn't know there are 'better' bullets out there, you might just bring one home with you.

I've a really nice .44 mag that kicks a bit. The stumpy 2" barrel seems to be the culprit. Full house 240 grains are a bit uncomfortable for all day shooting, but the 180 xtp's do nicely.
(I thought of a t-shirt: "apparently, my insensitivity extends to recoil also')
I get 620 ft/lbs of energy out of the short pipe, and 'hunting grade' accuracy out to 50 yards, shooting out of hand. I've hunted with this piece, but not had the chance to 'pull the trigger' yet with it. I'm a disciplined enough hunter to not take wild shots, and only sit with it in close quarters.

I did what I thought was a nice write up on this gun over on anther site. Check it out:
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f100/might-i-suggest-new-sidearm-258920/

It seems to me that your question is really a fizix question, and the light bullet is the answer.

Hope this helps.

db

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod