Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
14" contender .223 bullet vs javelina/coyote,etc #9767 08/31/2005 2:26 AM
Bandit Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Im new to reloading and trying to decide what the best bullets would be for my 14" contender .223 barrel for 3 purposes: Javelina, Coyote and possibly just standard small varmints. Most bullets seem to be designed w/ light jackets and dont seem to be suited for an animal as large as a Javelina. Ive seen a Javelina hit by another hunter using a .223 pistol and I believe the bullet used was likely too light, too thin of a jacket. They lost that javelina. What would you recommend for each use? Im wondering if you should use a different load for Coyote and Javelina. Javelina Im planning on keeping the meat for, so want something that I can use from 10ft to 100yrds, something that will kill the animal and not maim it, and try not to damage too much meat. As far as coyote goes, my only interest would be best chance of one shot kill, and if I got a good one with a nice coat..minimize pelt damage. Also, if you have any recommended loads, that'd be appreciatated. Im also trying to consider best bullet for cost. I see some notes on the web regarding Barnes and the Speer Trophy bonded bear claw, those are more expensive rounds but wondered if you had tried them? Please remember Im new to reloading, and would appreciate that you be specific regarding brand/model of bullet so Im clear on your replies.
I'll mainly be using this for my yearly javelina hunts. So thats what this subject was really meant to cover. Im also trying to decide if I should maybe just go with a heavier caliber. I know Javelina hair tends to plug up the entrance/exit wounds and Ive seen a hunter lose an animal due to lack of blood trail w/ archery & on a pistol hunt. I have several other choices: .41,.357, or 7-30waters as well.

Thanks,

Bandit/AZ

Re: 14" contender .223 bullet vs javelina/coyote,etc [Re: Bandit] #9768 08/31/2005 2:49 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
Greetings! I have been using the 223 rem for years on Woodchucks and also Feral dogs, so for your Coyotes, my feral dog bullet should work.

I have never hunted Javelina,and do not know what all is involved in their physiology i.e. do they have gristle plates on their shoulders like a feral Hog? Heavy bone?

At any rate, one inexpensive bullet that works surprisingly well for me on feral dogs is the plain old Remington PSP 55Gr. with an over all length of loaded cartridge of 2.230", 28 grains of Win 748, CCI primer, which give me gave a velocity of 2950 in my 14" Virgin Valley Bellm barrel.

The Speer 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw is perhaps the toughest, best bullet [though more expensive] for bigger tougher game and varmints in the 223 Rem, and might even work for your Javelina. It has a fusion bonded core and solid copper shank, and bullets I have recovered held together and retained a good deal of their weight, as opposed to most others which are varmint bullets and have explosive reaction in game and varmints.

The Bear Claw is .040" longer than other 55grain bullets, so you must work up loads specifically for it and not just use your same 55grain data as for other bullets. I use 26 grains of Win 748 and a CCI primer with this bullet.

PLEASE, do not use my data! Look up data in a reloading manual and work up from there.

Re: 14" contender .223 bullet vs javelina/coyote,etc [Re: SeanVHA60013] #9769 08/31/2005 3:09 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i'd recommend searching "javelina hunting sites" to see what the guided hunters are using.
here's one..........not sure if there's any tips in their articles, but you can look around there, or search for others in your browser search.
javalina hunter <LINK

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: 14" contender .223 bullet vs javelina/coyote,e [Re: KYODE] #9770 08/31/2005 7:03 PM
tommyn Offline
The Sierra 55 gr Game King would be worth looking into.

Re: 14" contender .223 bullet vs javelina/coyote,e [Re: tommyn] #9771 09/01/2005 12:46 PM
bowmag Offline
I've hunted them a lot with a bow. They are nothing like a feral hog. They don't have the thick shoulder "armor". Actually they are not a big animal. They are very thin, not much penetration is required. In Texas, a big one would be 40 pounds. Not nearly as large as the ones in Arizona.

Re: 14" contender .223 bullet vs javelina/coyote,e [Re: tommyn] #9772 09/01/2005 12:58 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i'd say tommy made an excellent suggestion.
i really like those hollow point boattail designs when just a lil tougher is needed.

which gives me another idea fer ya. email the sierra techs n see what they recommend for such uses. they are more than willing to help with their bullets.
SIERRA techs link

Last edited by KYODE; 09/01/2005 1:01 PM.

Kentucky….no place like home.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod