Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Holsters for scoped six guns #152455 11/26/2014 7:35 AM
Docins Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Looking for a leather chest holster for my scoped Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter. Will be used for hunting mainly. Any good one being made?

Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: Docins] #152473 11/26/2014 5:25 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
7X Leather has one that is highly recommended as is the Ringler Wyoming Combo Holster.

I have the Ringler for the identical gun you have and really like it. It wears a bit more like a bandoleer holster but is still very comfortable for lugging that big piece of steel around.

Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: 98Redline] #152474 11/26/2014 5:29 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
7X is my suggestion. Great design, great quality, reasonably priced, and designed and made by someone who carries and hunts with revolvers rather extensively.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: Whitworth] #152476 11/26/2014 6:13 PM
FAH Offline
I own and hunt with a 7x and love it for all the reasons Whit stated! Used it this past season to hunt elk in the rain forest of the Pacific Northwest, worked beautifully.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: FAH] #152479 11/26/2014 8:10 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yup, Von Ringlers Wyoming Combination Holster

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/show...st-lots-of-pics

Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: Snyd] #152543 11/27/2014 6:45 PM
FAH Offline
Consider how you are going to hunt. I hunt hard and go in deep with back pack (hip belt) on so the chest holster over a hip or bandoleer type holster works best for me.
If you're hunting from a blind then it doesn't really matter, bandoleer, chest or bag it.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: FAH] #152545 11/27/2014 7:34 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: FAH
Consider how you are going to hunt. I hunt hard and go in deep with back pack (hip belt) on so the chest holster over a hip or bandoleer type holster works best for me.
If you're hunting from a blind then it doesn't really matter, bandoleer, chest or bag it.

This is a great point, consider how you hunt. I like to have my binos handy at all times which means no chest rig. I always carry a day pack or on a sheep hunt a full size pack since it's a 7-10 day backpack hunt.

I pack the WyoCombo around my waist cross draw style when hauling a backpack. I can then pack binos as well. I put the rig around my waist, throw on the pack and have the holster above the backpack belt. Here's a couple picks on 30+ mile walk-in sheep hunt in the Brooks Range a couple years ago. Over 10 miles one way to where we pitched. In the one pic of us in the rain coming out heavy with a ram, you can see that the rig is covered by my rain coat while I'm sitting. Also standing there in the fog out hunting.

Couldn't close the gap to any closer than 276 yds on that ram opening day so I let my partner shoot him with his 270 rifle. We hunted another 5 days in and out of the rain but didn't see any other legal rams to go after. Here's a write up of that hunt.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/11358/walk-brooks-range-colt-bishunter

Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: Snyd] #152558 11/28/2014 3:58 AM
AmmoHouse Offline
I use the Pistol Packaging Bandito rig for mine.
I like having my binos handy up front.
IfmI'm out fishing I do use the Chesty rig from Simply Rugged.

I don't harvest animals, I kill them...I don't take a Combine hunting!!!

USAF AMMO Retired!
Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: AmmoHouse] #152575 11/29/2014 3:06 AM
Rick P Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: AmmoHouse
I use the Pistol Packaging Bandito rig for mine.
I like having my binos handy up front.
IfmI'm out fishing I do use the Chesty rig from Simply Rugged.

I did as well for my Africa trip though I ended up using the holster, stand alone, in a cross draw style configuration.

If you're going to get one of these, make sure that they place the hammer-keep strap (or whatever you call it) on the body side of the holster. Mine was on the outside and as the leather relaxed, the holster flapped more and more open and didn't keep the gun close to the body. This was important going through brush to avoid getting hung up. I had to re-locate the strap and it was fine after that.

Republicans believe everyday is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15th. -- Ronald Reagan
Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: Rick P] #152586 11/29/2014 2:21 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The 7x chest rig can be adjusted to the side. Check out their site. The owner (Wes - who is a member here) designed his chest unit to work with a back back and other equipment worn in the field.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: FAH] #152750 12/02/2014 6:45 AM
RedSS Offline
 Originally Posted By: FAH
Consider how you are going to hunt.

x2. During gun season, I mostly hunt from a tree stand, and to a lesser extent, still hunt. Two years ago, I learned the value of having good binoculars immediately at-hand at all times during daylight hours, whether simply coming and going to a stand or when purposely still hunting. This necessitates that the glass is worn on a chest rig; the glass supplanted the handgun and required a move to a cross-draw holster, which I've found is the best compromise to date. Bino's are at-hand, gun is both out of the way but immediately available, and both don't interfere with the backpack/climbing stand straps.

My get-up looks pretty much like SNYD's depiction.

Re: Holsters for scoped six guns [Re: Whitworth] #152767 12/02/2014 6:09 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I cannot speak for the other holsters, but I have a WYO-Combo holster from Ringler leather also. I bought it based on Snyd's write-up that he has the link to (thank you sir!)

I realy like mine. I hunt in a lot of different ways, from still hunting without a pack or wearing a fanny pack, to sitting in a climber or hang on tree stand, to hiking in and hunting with a large frame pack out west, to sitting in a box or ground blind. I have found it to work very well in just about every situation, you just have to wear it a different way. Its versatility is what appealed to me in the first place, and it has not disappointed

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod