Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ruger single six hunter 22mag for coyotes? #152506 11/27/2014 12:23 AM
IAshooter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm trying to decide if I want to try one of the new Ruger single six hunter models with the 7.5" barrel and Ruger rings. I think it would be fun to use a 22mag scoped handgun for some coyote hunting.

Does anyone have any real world experience with this gun in 22mag that can tell me how good this gun would be @ 100 to 150 yards for coyotes/etc?

Hunt, Fish, Eat, Sleep

Patriotic, Independent, Veteran, Atheist

BIG fan of the 2nd Amendment, even BIGGER fan of the 1st Amendment!
Re: Ruger single six hunter 22mag for coyotes? [Re: IAshooter] #152563 11/28/2014 7:46 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I own a Single Six but not the Hunter model. I have not used it on a coyote.

Coyotes are extremely tough and I am sorry to say that I have even lost a few hit with a 22-250 when I was hunting them seriously for their fur... If you shoot enough coyotes it will probably happen. Obviously they were marginal hits or worse.

The gist of my response is that yes the .22 Magnum will work under perfect conditions (ie. heart-lung hit at 100 yards give or take, less is better. I have done it with my .22 Magnum Savage rifle but I keep my shots less than 100 yards. Keep in mind the 7.5" revolver barrel with the barrel cylinder gap will compromise your velocity compared to a rifle, giving even less power.

Re: Ruger single six hunter 22mag for coyotes? [Re: Gregg Richter] #152566 11/28/2014 10:18 PM
SEAK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have found its good at fifty yards and some trackin needed many times at seventyfive yards with handgun. Hundred yard is about max with rifle

Enjoying to circle of life
Re: Ruger single six hunter 22mag for coyotes? [Re: SEAK] #152948 12/05/2014 6:28 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
using the Hornady v-max 30 gr. bullets my single six is shooting well over 1700 f.p.s. and that is with a 5 1/2 inch barrel.I haven't shot any coyotes yet with it but my own thinking was 50 yards or less should do the trick.Greg, I used my 22-250 on groundhogs for years and that baby would stop em in their tracks until one day I shot a 15-20lbs. boar and he trembled right where I busted him for about 10 seconds and then took off running towards another hole 90 yards away and made it in the hole,...to say I was bewildered/amazed is a better word,...but anyway,all the way down to the 90 yard hole ,pieces of that critter littered the field but somehow he made it there ,...that's the only time I ever had that happen in all the years using that round,...they always dropped in their tracks until this one.The shot was only 35 yards ,my handloads shooting 50 gr. speer bullets just under 3900 f.p.s.-I'm still amazed to this day just thinking about that critter-I'm sure he died in the hole from all the havoc I seen on the ground leading into that hole,but I'm still amazed he even moved from the spot I shot him!-johnw.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Ruger single six hunter 22mag for coyotes? [Re: johnwilliams] #153045 12/08/2014 12:31 AM
bigbore442001 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Coyotes are tough animals. It seems that they can take a bit of abuse and not really show much reaction. I recall many years ago shooting large male with my inline muzzleloader. He was hit at about twenty yards from my treestand and made a semi circle of about twenty feet before dropping dead.

I suspect a hit in the vitals with any rimfire would result in a similar reaction. You'ld see them drop dead before anything else.

This post is very pertinent for some people especially me who hunt parts of the east coast that are mandated rimfire only.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod