Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
encore shooters with riflescopes #152813 12/03/2014 2:22 PM
lamina1982 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
How do you guys stay steady in a stand. I knows its practice but if i try and use anyone elsea stand i alwyas seem to have the same unsteady affect.
I have an encore 308, ported barrel.with 3-9x riflescope.
Missed a doe out of a group of 5 last night from a box tower stand..window openings prolly 4.6" wide and what seems to happen is i rest forearm on sill with glove under and usually rest elbows on knees, but then when i fire i seem to rotate muzzle down and shot below her. In my stand i can use a bipod and alonger board. Out in a different stand now and gonna try a bipod shooting stick to rest my hand on and then forearm on sill...seems pretty steady just looking through gun so hope thats the ticket...but curious how others adapt to different shooting instances as decribed.
Thanks

Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: lamina1982] #152815 12/03/2014 2:34 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
In a box stand as you describe, I use the sill with a glove or something soft. Then, I use a Bog Pod with the Fork removed from the top. Leaving a flat surface. There, I place a rear bag and set the grip of the pistol on that.

Very steady.

I don't generally like hunting from box blinds with pistols, though. Many have too narrow a window and recoil can be problematic with hitting the top of the window if you project the muzzle out. If you keep the muzzle inside the blind..............well...........the blast gets interesting. To say the least.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: Zee] #152823 12/03/2014 4:43 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
I hunt deer on my farm from elevated blinds. In the blinds I have built, a ledge is constructed on the inside just below the window. All of the windows are 24 inches wide, 12 inches high. The ledge allows a sandbag to be placed slightly below the window. Rifle or handgun scope makes no difference. By placing the handgun on the bag, the shot itself is rather mercenary--far from a "Hail Mary." Best of luck

Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: Zee] #152824 12/03/2014 4:45 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Well unless you're shooting over 3-400 yards I would question whether you should mount a rifle scope on the gun. A high-power Burris or Leupold handgun scope would be a better option in my opinion. However, I shoot from a box fairly often here in Texas and I will steady the gun by resting the end of the barrel of the gun on a bag that sits on the window opening. The recoil of the gun will bring it back into the box and eliminates the issue of hitting the top of the window with the gun. Of course you have to be mindful of the muzzle - you don't want to blow up the bag either. I've also shot with the gun completely inside the box and as long as you have good ears on that's not a big issue to me. Game tends not to spook as much either when shooting from inside.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: Gary] #152827 12/03/2014 8:00 PM
lamina1982 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I just cld never get used to the eye relief of pistol scopes...whwther length of my arms or what. I just like them with riflescopes. It has noyhing to do with magnification. My 223 barrel is no issue even shooting offhand but i can be more leniant about eye releif n not get smashed in face..although the porting does help.

Thats agreat idea about the second inner ledge.

Im ok from my known setup, just wondered an ease if adaptation to others

Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: lamina1982] #152831 12/03/2014 9:14 PM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
l am a bit confused by rifle scopes being mounted on handguns.. Esp big bore kickers... With the short eye relief,there is no way l would shoot my S&W 460 PC looking thru a rifle up close my eye...

So ,l would love to see a couple pictures demonstrating your handgun hold...

thanks

Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: sw282] #152833 12/03/2014 10:27 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I don't know of anyone shooting a revolver with that cartridge with a riflescope. I do with a 357 Mag Ruger GP-100, but that is not worthy of comparing to a 460.
I shoot cartridges much larger than the 460 in SP's using riflescopes, but I have more weight as well.

Rests in box blinds:

Put this over the rail for a steadier shot. I use both sand and or corn cob media in these:
http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: Zee] #152834 12/03/2014 10:33 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would hate to see someone catch their clothes on fire with any type of muzzle blast....
 Originally Posted By: Zee
In a box stand as you describe, I use the sill with a glove or something soft. Then, I use a Bog Pod with the Fork removed from the top. Leaving a flat surface. There, I place a rear bag and set the grip of the pistol on that.

Very steady.

I don't generally like hunting from box blinds with pistols, though. Many have too narrow a window and recoil can be problematic with hitting the top of the window if you project the muzzle out. If you keep the muzzle inside the blind..............well...........the blast gets interesting. To say the least.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: sw282] #152835 12/03/2014 10:41 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
His Encore is just a 308 Win-Probably has a brake on it as well.
Very easy to use a riflescope with that kind of set-up and still be safe. In my pics above I was shooting a XP-100 with a cartridge that is bigger than the 308 Win (300 Short Action Ultra Mag) with a 198 grain bullet at 2540 fps) off of the Bog Gear tri-pod with PSR top.
You can be quite close to a riflescope and not get hurt with a braked SP.
Notice how close Erik is to the ocular shooting a 7mm SAUM with 162's. Weight and a good brake is your friend. Way less recoil than your 460. I wouldn't think of trying it with a 460.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_FbsGLxxw8&list=FLfEoqqK-q7iARmKwk742NZg&index=18

Originally Posted By: sw282
So ,l would love to see a couple pictures demonstrating your handgun hold...

thanks

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: Ernie] #152852 12/04/2014 12:32 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have shared shooting sessions with Ernie up in Wyoming several times now, plus hunted with him and his son. It is amazing how effective a muzzle brake can be on a heavy kicking SP Pistol.

As most here know, Ernie uses rifle scopes on his SP's as he shoots at Loooong ranges (well over 500 yards) and the muzzle brakes on them decreases the recoil (backward movement) on big cartridges to where only 3-4 inches of eye relief is sufficient.

I believe he and a couple of his gunsmith buddies have been pioneers in recoil brake development. JMHO

Last edited by Gregg Richter; 12/04/2014 12:34 AM.

Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: Gregg Richter] #152889 12/04/2014 5:48 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Gregg,
I have not designed any muzzle brakes.
I just shoot stuff and break things
\:\)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: encore shooters with riflescopes [Re: Ernie] #152913 12/05/2014 1:41 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Gregg,
I have not designed any muzzle brakes.
I just shoot stuff and break things
\:\)

OK, I was just sayin'; and I am sure that your feed-back on this stuff is pretty well acknowledged.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod