Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
.460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! #153396 12/13/2014 9:12 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
This has been an amazing day. I'm so wiped out and giddy.......I don't know where to start.

If you remember the other thread regarding the .460 S&W Encore and the range report from today after testing loads..............you'll remember the hassle of the broken forend and the repair I had to complete. You might also remember that.......at the end of the range report.........I had exactly one round left over.

Not wanting that perfectly good round to go to waste, I decided to go hunting this evening and try to take a deer with it. So, I packed up and headed out to the property I'd been hunting most this year. As a side thought............I decided to take my 7mm Remington Mag. I figured, I hadn't taken any game with this rifle yet and ya never know. So, I packed it as well. Once at the ranch, I gathered my gear and started my walk into my hunting area. I thought, this isn't so bad. I don't have that much to take with just my pack, my Encore in a shoulder holster, and the SPEC-Rest. Oh wait.......CRAP.......I almost forgot the 7mm Mag! Luckily, I hadn't gone far from the truck. Grabbed it and took off.

About 1/2 mile later, I reached my usual spot. The one where I'd taken the doe with the Casull and that I'd sat at many other time watching deer. The neighboring field was being harvested as I set up along the fence line.

Deer travel this long fence line from the river bottom to the wheat fields behind me. I thought it would be a good spot to catch the deer moving right towards me and hopefully in range of the .460 S&W. As the clocked ticked by.......there didn't appear to be an end to the harvesting on the neighbors field. I thought.......it's Friday evening! Don't they have other things to be doing? Guess not. It was getting late, there were no deer (as there should have been by then) and I needed a back up plan.

I quickly packed my gear and headed back towards my truck and the wheat field I'd crossed getting to where I was. I didn't thing there was much hope any deer would make it to the field from another direction before dark, but I was out of options this late in the game.

So, I tucked back into a patch of palm tree real tight and waited.

The sun began to set and I though I was out of luck. It was still a beautiful evening and I enjoyed being there, none the less. Hey, I got to watch the sun set behind me! Beats the Hell out of a couch, right?

Right after I took that picture, I turned back around and continued glassing. DEER!!! Coming my way from the river bottom!! I look back at the sun, then look at the deer, and prayed they hurried up. They were over 300 yards away and it was getting late.

Apparently, they heard my willful pleading........or their tummies were grumbling. Because, they picked up the pace and trotted along towards the wheat field.......and me.

As they got to the wheat, they crossed the fence and spread out to feed. I picked out the biggest doe and followed her in the crosshairs. When she entered the field, she was 150 yards away. Moving along, she was directly facing me as she progressed. I didn't want to take a frontal shot particularly...........so I held fire until she turned. Finally, after meandering a bit.......she held still quartering to me at 123 yards with her right shoulder.

BOOM!!!!!

The impact was amazing! She instantly sat back on her haunches, flipped onto her back and rolled to her left side. I saw her legs kick once and that way it. It happened so quick.......the other deer didn't even run. They just looked at her on the ground........looked over in my direction........and looked at her again. They didn't know what just happened. Literally, they just stood there as if dumfounded. In fact, they showed no sign of leaving!!! So, I took out my camera and snapped a picture.

The white strip to the left of my muzzle is the doe laying on her left side. Just to the left of her and before the next wire, are the other three deer just standing there. I waited a few minutes to see if they left as I didn't particularly want them to see me. I finally stood to slowly gather my things. Quite happy with the performance of the .460 and the 250gr XTP bullets. I was rather impressed. Standing there, I raise my binos to look at the other three deer. Hey.............that in the distance............those are ANTLERS!!!! BIG ANTLERS!!!! Holy Crap!!!! That's an Axis buck!

I instantly felt like Barney Fife with my one round expended. I had NO bullets left for the Encore. I quickly grabbed my 7 Mag and sat back down. The Axis was coming from the same place the deer had come. But, I could only see his antlers as his body was below the horizon. I watched in agony as he slowly made his way towards me and the view through my scope got dimmer and dimmer. Finally, i could see the white throat patch above the tall grass and eventually, his body loomed like a shadow into view. I could see him now..........but I couldn't see the fence barbed wire fence strands anymore!!! I could shoot him in the field he was in as it was part of the ranch I was hunting.......but I didn't want to risk what may be my only shot EVER at a big Axis buck and hit the fence!

Let's pause for a second while I explain something. Living in Texas.........there have been several animals I've wanted to take. Over the many years I've been here, I checked them off one by one from my grail list. First, a Black Buck. Next came my Gemsbok. Then, another Gensbok and eventually two Aoudad. Big Aoudad!! I was ecstatic at that point. After that, I set out to try and find my remaining grail animal. An Axis buck. For the past 5 years, I've hunted a few places that had Axis on them but never saw any. I wanted a free range animal. Just like my previous Blackbuck, Gemsbok, and Aoudad. All free range low fence hunts. Buit, I couldn't find my ghost. My Axis buck.

Then, I was given permission to hunt these fields this year and eradicate the hogs that were destroying the wheat. In the process, the owner said I could take whatever deer I wanted and anything else that showed up. Literally, it's three big fields in a row with no cover save a grove of palms in the middle. But, the deer come from miles away to feed there at night........so did the hogs. Those.......I fixed. And, in the process, I lucked out and got a really nice Blackbuck last month there as well and later the doe with the Casull.

Fast forward to this evening...........I'm now staring at the sole remaining animal from my grail list and it's getting dark fast. Not risking hitting the wire, I waited painfully until he made it to the fence separating the wheat field from the alfalfa he was in. Standing quartering to me with his left shoulder up against the fence.......I could judge the gap from the barbed wire. It was now or never.

BOOM!!!!!!

POP! Coming out of recoil, I see him hunch up and lurch forward to his left. I knew I hit him, right? I mean......I heard the impact! He just took a 162gr A-Max through the chest.........right? Why is he running? He ran to his left about 40 yards and came to a stop right next to an irrigation pivot. I could barely see him now through the scope. But, that was him.......standing there quartering slightly away. I know i hit him! I think I hit him. Did I hit him?

BOOM!!!!

I fired again and he disappeared. It's now almost dark, so I grabbed my lights and hurried to the last known spot. Arriving.......I can't find where he was standing in the tall grass. I KNOW I HIT HIM!!! TWICE! Right? Almost in a panic that my final grail animal had once more eluded me..........I find him. Just 20 yards further back from where I'd hit him the second time. Yes, he soaked up two 162gr Hornady A-Max bullets from a 7mm Remington Mag going 3,195 fps at the muzzle. Both shots were in the chest. The entrance of one and the exit of the other were within inches of each other! That was one tough Axis!

Here is the action board.

A - Where I shot the doe.
B - 1st Shot on Axis.
C- Where the does and Axis came from.
D - 2nd shot on Axis.
Having found the Axis, I walked over to the doe to check on her location. Then returned, gathered my gear, and headed the 1/4 mile to the truck. Dropped off my stuff and returned to the doe. Drug her the 1/4 mile to the truck and returned to the Axis buck. Drug..............pant.....pant.....drug......gasp..........drug.........oh God I'm gonna DIE..........drug that big.....heavy bastige to the freaking truck!!! I thought I was going to pass out. I had absolutely NO clue that Axis were so BIG!!!!

After I regained my lungs and put my spleen back inside my body.... I took pics.

.460 S&W
250gr Hornady XTP
Muzzle Velocity - 2,250 fps using the SWAG method ( Scientific WildAss Guess)
Impact Velocity - 1,615 fps (SWAG)

Bullet struck her on side shoulder. Shattered her scapula in about 5 pieces..........and STOPPED in the hide behind the opposite shoulder!!!! Yes......STOPPED! With a sliver of jacket protruding from the hide.

7mm Remington Magnum
162gr Hornady A-Max
Muzzle Velocity - 3,195 fps
Impact Velocity - 2,971 fps

Excuse me while I post a few more pics of my sole remaining grail animal.

And, just so you all don't thing I'm sitting WAY behind him to exaggerate his size.........

......that's a bent elbow with my hand resting on him. Sucker was a BEAST!!! I had absolutely no idea they got that big.

To cap off this grand adventure.........I am blessed to have had such a wonderful season and taken so many animals this fall. I am blessed to have finally completed my list of grail animals. I am pleased with the performance of the .460 S&W Encore after the broken forend. I am pleased with the performance of the bullet. Both the XTP and the A-Max.

I am blessed. Simple as that.

I'm tired......I'm sore..........I might have lost my liver out there somewhere dragging that buck. But, I'm too tired to look for it right now. It's 3:00 in the morning..........I'll post the autopsy photos tomorrow evening. After I can move.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153397 12/13/2014 10:13 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Congrats. Its nice when it all comes together just right.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Walkingthemup] #153398 12/13/2014 11:02 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
Zee that is a great story and I feel your pain. The dragging part, and it only gets worse. [I am 62] I would take the pain any day for that harvest. CONGRATS!!!!

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: dhom] #153399 12/13/2014 11:22 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Very nice, Zee! Congratulations on the fantastic trophy!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Whitworth] #153400 12/13/2014 12:06 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Zee,

You didn't waste any time putting that 460 to work! Congratulations on breaking it in quickly, and by the way, fantastic Axis!!!

I wants me an axis buck in a bad way...

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: SChunter] #153402 12/13/2014 1:49 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Congrats and well done---thanks for sharing.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Mark Hampton] #153403 12/13/2014 2:12 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Congrats! I understand your thriving for an Axis. I had one on my list for many years and was finally able to get one. They are the prettiest of all deer species...IMO. Wish you coulda had a Barney +1. It woulda topped off you hunt to get it with your new 460, but at least you got to break it in with style.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: KRal] #153405 12/13/2014 2:25 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Zee, that is awesome! You are a go getter. I have the upmost respect for true handgun hunters, and that you are. When you get a new handgun, you hunt with it.
;\)
that is what makes this site great, handgun hunters. There is something to be said for a guy with only a few posts and several trophies. I've seen several guys over the years have thousands of posts, and never go handgun hunting. Seems a little strange to me.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Franchise] #153406 12/13/2014 2:36 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
You have no idea...
It has been a epic year of hunting for you. I am so pleased with your success.
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
Zee, that is awesome! You are a go getter.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Ernie] #153407 12/13/2014 2:58 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
the 240 gr. Hornady X.T.P. is made for those kind of velocities where the techs at Hornady said the 250 X.T.P. is not suppose to be pushed over 1600 f.p.s. because it starts to come apart.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Ernie] #153408 12/13/2014 2:58 PM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Great story Zee. What is that rest you're using.
And just b/c I'm a curious SOB, what is up with your photo ?

Support bacteria:
It's the only culture some people have
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: dhom] #153412 12/13/2014 3:10 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: dhom
Zee that is a great story and I feel your pain. The dragging part, and it only gets worse. [I am 62] I would take the pain any day for that harvest. CONGRATS!!!!

The dragging sucks. Especially since I don't gut them until I get home. For one, I don't like leaving gut piles on the owners propers. Especially in the middle if his field. Second, it's all in the name of science. The autopsy is conducted at home.

But, at some point.......I'm gonna have to rethink this dragging nonsense. Whoever came up with that........should be shot!

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: archr610] #153413 12/13/2014 3:13 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
The plastic surgeon did a terrible job when he tried to do a Antonio Banderas look-a-like
;\)

Originally Posted By: archr610

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: archr610] #153414 12/13/2014 3:18 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert

It's a rifle rest called the Spec-Rest.

http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/Spec-Rest-Tripod.html

I adapted it to work with handguns as well.

Which photo are you referring to?

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: KRal] #153415 12/13/2014 3:24 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: KRal
Wish you coulda had a Barney +1. It woulda topped off you hunt to get it with your new 460, but at least you got to break it in with style.

Believe me, I do too. But, honestly, I don't know that I could have made that shot on the Axis with the available light........or lack thereof. It's was on the edge of doable with a rifle. I'd have loved to culminate my Grail List with a handgun, without a doubt.

I gotta say, I've hunted for a free range Axis buck for going on 20 years now. I'm glad I had what I had. I'm glad I had ANYTHING!! Ha!

There was assuredly some anxiety going on front start to finish on that encounter.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Franchise] #153416 12/13/2014 3:33 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Franchise
Zee, that is awesome! You are a go getter. I have the upmost respect for true handgun hunters, and that you are. When you get a new handgun, you hunt with it.
;\)
that is what makes this site great, handgun hunters. There is something to be said for a guy with only a few posts and several trophies. I've seen several guys over the years have thousands of posts, and never go handgun hunting. Seems a little strange to me.

Wow. Thank you, sir. That's the nicest thing been said to me since I've been here. I appreciate that.

Ernie and I are good friends. In fact, I called him last night once I got home. Giddy like a school girl.

He is responsible for me being here and the reviver of my handgun lust. I've been hunting with handguns since I was a kid. But, it never grew to the place bowhunting held in my heart. I was a fanatical bowhunter. But, honestly...........I'm a rifleman by nature. I've don't some very fun things with rifles.

Fast forward to surgery on my left shoulder and pending one on my right.......archery isn't as fun (doable) anymore. Ernie kicked off the dust of my handgun hunting desire and kick started my plunge into Specialty Pistols.

He's like a crack dealer.

After a few years with SPs.........I'm swinging back to my roots of handgun hunting and playing with revolvers again as well.

Fact of the matter............I just like guns. Ain't much good at anything else.

Well, knives too.

:-)

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: johnwilliams] #153417 12/13/2014 3:39 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: johnwilliams
the 240 gr. Hornady X.T.P. is made for those kind of velocities where the techs at Hornady said the 250 X.T.P. is not suppose to be pushed over 1600 f.p.s. because it starts to come apart.

Yeah, I knew the 250gr XTP wasn't designed for the .460 S&W velocities. I'd originally gotten them for my .45 Colt. Having decided to use cast bullets in the Colt..............the 250s needed a purpose. So, I re-appropriated them to .460 S&W duty.

I like trying and testing new things and concepts. Dispelling myths as it were. Like, the A-Max not being a good hunting round.

Well, these 250s did amazingly well for where I put them. I'll show in the autopsy photos that this bullet performed right at perfectly for the impact velocity that occurred. Now, had the impact been over 2,000 fps..............I can't vouch for the results. Guess we need another test.

For deer size game, though. This bullet is a solid performer in the terminal ballistics arena.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153418 12/13/2014 3:47 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
That's awesome, Zee! The 460 sure didn't disappoint, did it?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Chance Weldon] #153419 12/13/2014 3:58 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
That's awesome, Zee! The 460 sure didn't disappoint, did it?

It was.............dramatic.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153421 12/13/2014 6:24 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Great hunt, Zee. It also is obvious that you are an accomplished photographer; what with your avatar and
460 flame photos and pics of your kills in poor light.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Gregg Richter] #153428 12/13/2014 8:28 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
Great hunt, Zee. It also is obvious that you are an accomplished photographer; what with your avatar and
460 flame photos and pics of your kills in poor light.

Thank you. It's about volume. Take lots of pics and you're bound to get a good one every once in awhile.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153430 12/13/2014 9:26 PM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Zee

The one with you in it of course

Support bacteria:
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: archr610] #153431 12/13/2014 10:08 PM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert

It looks fine to me.

Last edited by Zee; 12/13/2014 10:14 PM.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153437 12/14/2014 12:09 AM
archr610 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

It looks fine to me.

OK, whatever.

Support bacteria:
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: archr610] #153439 12/14/2014 1:03 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
OK guys.

I think it is simply that some people don't want their face shown on the internet. Personal choice, nuttin' wrong with that.

Photoshop works very well for adding or deleting details on digital photos!

\:\)

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Gregg Richter] #153441 12/14/2014 1:14 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
:thumbup:

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153465 12/14/2014 4:13 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
awesome job, I sure do love the 460.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153467 12/14/2014 4:17 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
As promised, the Postmortem.

Whitetail Doe @ 123 yards
.460 S&W
250gr Hornady XTP
MV - 2,250 fps (estimated)
IV - 1,615 fps (estimated)
Entrance - Point of Right Shoulder

Entrance Under Hide

Entrance Under Shoulder (Note shattered Scapula in shoulder)

Entrance Under Shoulder (Meat Removed) - Broke 2 ribs.

Entrance to Thoracic Cavity - Ribs Removed

Right Lung / Front Lobe Destroyed - Esophagus/Carotid Destroyed

Left Lung / Front Lobe Damaged - Arteries to Heart Severed

Exit Under Shoulder - Meat Removed (Broke 2 Ribs)

Exit Behind Shoulder

Exit - Bullet Lodged in Hide

Recovered Bullet

We were operating at a higher muzzle velocity than supposedly recommended (I have not spoken directly to Hornady). Even so, the distance at impact resulted in a lowered impact velocity. The doe dropped instantly at the shot and only kicked a few times once on the ground. The bullet shattered the on side scapula at the lower joint and thickest point. It then broke two ribs before bisecting the lungs and severing the esophagus, carotid and arteries of the heart. Death was practically instantaneous due to immediate cessation of blood flow combined with depleted oxygen and hydrostatic shock. This deer took the full brunt of the bullet as it broke two ribs on exiting and lodged in the off side hide.

I am not one prone to exaggeration in regards to terminal performance but, it flat out dumped her on the spot!

Did the bullet come apart after hitting all those bones and bisecting the chest cavity? Yes.

Did it "fail" in any way?

Ask her.

I am EXCEPTIONALLY pleased with the performance! I actually wanted a quartering shot to try and stop the bullet. Seeing what would happen at such a high velocity........I actually AIMED for the shoulder. Why? Because I had full confidence that it would perform.

I would now like to shoot a deer closer and examine terminal performance from the 250gr XTP at a HIGHER impact velocity. Would I recommend this bullet for elk? No. But, I think it's about perfect for deer sized game from this cartridge. I see no reasonable shot failing on similar size game.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153469 12/14/2014 4:26 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Excellent report. Excellent performance.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Gregg Richter] #153476 12/14/2014 5:31 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Proof is always in the actual performance of said bullet on tissue and bone. Great report. Now I guess you are going to need to hunt more with that bullet...

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Ernie] #153478 12/14/2014 5:55 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Proof is always in the actual performance of said bullet on tissue and bone. Great report. Now I guess you are going to need to hunt more with that bullet...

Twist...........my........arm.

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153482 12/14/2014 11:04 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Zee - great detail on the postmortem! Thanks!

Now get out there and collect more data - consider it a public service to the members of the site

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: SChunter] #153491 12/14/2014 2:00 PM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
Zee - great detail on the postmortem! Thanks!

Now get out there and collect more data - consider it a public service to the members of the site
x2

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: racksmasher1] #153498 12/14/2014 4:39 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Outstanding report!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: KRal] #153502 12/14/2014 6:48 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Excelent writeup and report. That xtp did just what it was supposed to do, kill deer .At that impact velocity and that much bone it did well. But you know one bullet only tells you what that bullet could do not the rest of the box.Looks like you are going to have to load some more and test some more.Its a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it. Congrats on the deer and filling your grail list. Now go forth and slay some more piggies.

junebug
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: junebug] #153516 12/15/2014 3:37 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: junebug
Excelent writeup and report. That xtp did just what it was supposed to do, kill deer .At that impact velocity and that much bone it did well. But you know one bullet only tells you what that bullet could do not the rest of the box.Looks like you are going to have to load some more and test some more.Its a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it. Congrats on the deer and filling your grail list. Now go forth and slay some more piggies.

Well, if you say so...............

Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: Zee] #153521 12/15/2014 9:52 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
To an old handloader and shooter
THATS PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here Piggie Piggie !!!!

junebug
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: junebug] #153553 12/16/2014 3:47 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
Nice! Love the axis!!

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: johnwilliams] #153657 12/17/2014 11:25 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Congrats!

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: .460 S&W Field Report - My Final Grail Animal! [Re: reflex264] #154015 12/27/2014 1:45 AM
thadf Offline
this write up makes the hunting community come off as intelligent and concerned for the proper performance of our chosen gear. That's absolutely something we need more of. Very nice.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod