Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Magnum Primers #153579 12/16/2014 5:35 PM
geoexchange Offline OP
OP Offline
I know this has probably been discussed a million times, but I need an answer fairly fast for this situation.

I loaded a BUNCH of hunting loads for my SRH 44 Mag with the following:

Star Brass
23.5 gr. H110
Hornady 240 XTP
CCI Large Pistol (NOT Magnum)

I used these for hogs over the summer in my SRH, my buddy used them in his Marlin, and my son used them in his 77/44.

Again, this was all in warm weather, and we all have used this loads for the last few years and we all have had excellent performance out of the load as far as accuracy and bullet performance on hogs with both pistol and rifles.

I recently loaned my 77/44 to a friend for deer hunting, and gave him 100 rounds of the mentioned load. Weather here in Indiana for deer season is either 50 degrees or -10.

I have told him to hold off on shooting until I find out, but my question is if I/he will have problems with using CCI primers - not magnum - with H110 in the cold?

Again, I have had no problems whatsoever with this load, but I haven't used it when it was really cold.

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
NRA RSO
NRA Shotgun Coach Level I
IN DNR/4H Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Pistol Instructor
Re: Magnum Primers [Re: geoexchange] #153580 12/16/2014 7:21 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
You will need to see for yourself on that one.

I know that H110 is harder to light when it gets really cold. My guess is that if you would shoot them over a chrono the SD might go up and you may loose some accuracy but they will probably all go bang.

If you have some time, have your buddy throw a couple of rounds in the deep freeze for a couple of hours. Take them to the range in a well insulated cooler and see if he has ignition problems.

Re: Magnum Primers [Re: 98Redline] #153585 12/16/2014 9:03 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I doubt you'll see any issues with ignition.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Magnum Primers [Re: Gary] #153588 12/16/2014 9:55 PM
geoexchange Offline OP
OP Offline
Got it, thank you all. I took some rounds that were in the unheated portion of the garage, and had no problems with them. Accuracy seemed the same (with my shooting :-).

I will try putting some in the freezer and will only try them in the SRH - I don't think pressure will be a problem for that pistol.

Again, I've been using this load ever since I bought the SRH, and I think it is a great load. Even pass through's on hogs opened up with the XTP.

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
NRA RSO
NRA Shotgun Coach Level I
IN DNR/4H Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Pistol Instructor
Re: Magnum Primers [Re: geoexchange] #153605 12/17/2014 1:06 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
JMO
Your crip will be critical in this case. If you have areal good crimp you are much less likely to get a squib round.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod