Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? #154827 01/12/2015 3:05 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
When you purchase a brand new barrel or gun, do you perform a break in procedure? I've read different break in procedures suggested by different firearm and barrel manufacturers. Is there any correct way to do it? Or is it even necessary at all?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: Chance Weldon] #154828 01/12/2015 3:28 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Is there any correct way to do it?

I usually just clean it and then shoot a fouler and then 5 to see what we have to start with. And then clean it like any other barrel/gun. Then we start the loadwork. Some of the regimens border on the ridiculous, IMO.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: s4s4u] #154832 01/12/2015 4:57 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Is there any correct way to do it?

I usually just clean it and then shoot a fouler and then 5 to see what we have to start with. And then clean it like any other barrel/gun. Then we start the loadwork. Some of the regimens border on the ridiculous, IMO.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

This is pretty much what I do.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: Zee] #154836 01/12/2015 7:05 PM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
I did years ago but then just came to the conclusion that it wasn't changing any since they usually shot really well in the beginning and that it was a GREAT way to get the opportunity to order another barrel sooner as you shot that one out prepping it
\:\)
hahaha

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: GlennS] #155072 01/18/2015 7:08 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
It can help a lot with copper fouling to break in a rifle barrel. With that said, there are some chrome moly barrels that are rougher than a cob and you will never get them to clean up.

On a hand-lapped barrel, it normally will take around 10-shots to clean-up. Shoot one shot, patch with a copper removing chemical such as CU+2 bore tech or something similar until all copper is removed and repeat.

Some SS barrels will take 15 to 25 shots. If 25 rounds doesn't clean it up - well, it probably never will clean up but those 25 rounds fired will probably assist in quicker clean up times for the life of the barrel.

For most commerical grade barrels I doubt any of them will clean up but taking a couple hours to break-in a barrel should reduce your cleaning time in the future.

Most of my bench rifle barrels would clean up with three patches - my varmint rifles with Wiseman and Shilen barrels clean up with about 10 to 12 patches.

On another forum there was a thread about taking 2-days to get all the copper out of a barrel. Now that had to be one rough barrel. In the old days it took a full day and then some to remove all the copper from a 378 weatherby that fired 50 to 60 rounds but that was with Sweet's 7.62 (slow acting).

In benchrest - barrel break-in was done relative to quick clean-up times - did nothing for accuracy. We usually fired 7 to 12 rounds in 7 minutes or less and then cleaned the barrel, reloaded the cases and prepared for the next string. Nice to run three patches and done - spend the rest of the time reloading, viewing targets on the wailing wall and visiting.

Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: 7P's] #155091 01/19/2015 3:12 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
l did not break in the Lothar-walther barrel on my S&W629 PC Magnum Hunter other than clean after each range session..lts the smoothest rifled barrel l have ever seen..

l did however break rifle barrels in for Kenny Jarrett about 15yrs back..Routine was shoot one. Then clean for the first 10 rds... Shoot 2. Then clean for 10 rds.. We used Sweets and BreakFree for cleaning..This was before any scopes were mounted for load development...

While breaking in the rifles there was a 12 inch gong set at 300 yards on the range,, After a little practice it was possible to hit the gong most of the time shooting from a standing position. OFFHAND. No Sights .. Shotgun style
\:\)

Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: sw282] #155112 01/19/2015 2:45 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I've never "broke in" a barrel. On anything. Ever.

I clean every gun once we get back from the range or a hunting trip, but I've never done a break in process like I've heard of some doing. My guns are for hunting, not "same hole accuracy" at 1000 yards, so maybe that's why I've never concerned myself with it. Maybe over time, doing what I do breaks it in, or smooths it out, or whatever ya want to call it. But what I do has worked for me, and puts food in the freezer, so I'm happy.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: Raptortrapper] #155129 01/19/2015 3:48 PM
Brenden Offline
addict
addict
I've never broke one in. I just go shoot. I usually put 15-20 down range for play/sight in then hit the loading bench for accuracy later on. We always joked and said "shoot it like you stole it" for break in.

I never did believe in cleaning a gun barrel. I shot a 7mm magnum in an Encore rifle for around 9 years. After no cleaning and 700 rounds of hot loads, it now carries a 6" group and bullets land sideways.

I run a patch soaked in Kroil oil through them every now and then now days...

Brenden

Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: Brenden] #155134 01/19/2015 5:48 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I am VERY cautious with the first few cleanings. Before even chambering a round I will clean a barrel until the patches are stark white. It's amazing how dirty some manufacturers will ship a gun. Then I'll do a regiment just to make sure the barrel is in decent condition and free of any defects. After that normal group shooting begins with cleanings in between to make sure each load has the same barrel condition to ride through.

This goes for about any bottleneck cartridge or straight wall big boomer (45-70 for example). Smaller straight wall stuff gets the initial inspection cleaning then just shot.

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: Chance Weldon] #155158 01/20/2015 12:22 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Is it necessary? Maybe not...but...I was taught by a CMP Hi-Power Trophy winner how to clean and break in a match barrel and I've been doing the regimen ever since. Why take the chance? Clean and Prep and clean after range sessions is part of the process. I know a lot of guys that don't even clean barrels between range sessions. Not I. I agree with DanB. You'll be surprised as to how dirty new barrels are, and initial cleaning can reveal dirt and burrs. Myself? I start with pristine barrels, but that's just me. Is it necessary? I don't know another way. What's Ernie have to say on this one? He needs to reap the most accuracy for long range groups.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #155223 01/21/2015 6:47 AM
RedSS Offline
I've done break-in routines on numerous .22 LR rimfire barrels with some tangible results. Generally my rimfire routine was one shot/scrub to pristine, then repeat, up to 10 rds. Then shoot 2 and clean, to 20 rds. Afterward, 5 shots then clean, up to 50. After 50, shoot 10 for group. This is assuming match ammo.

This took one production middle-road-quality aftermarket barrel on a 10/22 from a 5-shot-.97" barrel into a 5-shot-.436" barrel at 50 yds. with Green Tag.

FWIW, when I took delivery of my .17 HMR CZ 452, I took it out of the box, mounted a scope and quality trigger, and fired the first 5 rd. group into .427" c-t-c.

My opinion is that the break-in procedure is useful to an extent, in that passing bullets and brushes down the bore helps smooth out the tool marks and roughness left by a cutter. But I think we've gotten to the point that factory barrels on quality guns are quite good as it is, and for all practical purposes outside of benchrest shooting and full-custom barrels, a break-in procedure is unnecessary.

Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #155275 01/22/2015 12:14 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
In breaking in over 70 guns i own i have never seen a difference. My 3 most accurate guns in rifle form were just shot and used from the start. All are sub 1/4" guns and one is better than that. As far as pistols, i have 4 freedom arms that with the right load will group sub moa at 100 with a scope. No break in. Just initial cleaning and then its go time. Not sure how much accurate theyd be with a break in. Based on my experience, none

Re: Barrel break-in procedure - is it necessary? [Re: tradmark] #155300 01/22/2015 4:18 PM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think most shooters misunderstand the term "barrel break-in" and think it aids accuracy.

The purpose is to remove any slight irregularities within the barrel in an attempt to make barrel cleaning easier/faster in the future.

Your custom or commercial barrel comes with minor or major tool marks etc. - this is what you're cleaning up to prevent major copper fouling in your rifle barrel. Some clean up nicely, others not so much while some are just so rough it's just going to take awhile to remove the copper build-up.

Most of the consistent sub-1/4" group barrels out there that I am aware of are select match grade, have been hand lapped and stress relieved - so not much break-in is needed but I will still do it, as 8 to 10 rounds doesn't take that much effort.

If barrel break-in aids the accuracy of your rifle - then you are truly blessed, as it won't for the majority of rifles.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod