Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
perplexing question #155211 01/21/2015 3:59 AM
LABRAT Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I dont't know how many here are on Facebook. One theme I see repeated in almost every group I am in is that w have people who own big bore revolvers, but don't hunt with them. It seems to me that to most the big bore revolver is a novelty and something they never actually think about seriously hunting with.I frequently post and share harvests from my outings to show what is possible with practice. It seems that if we are going to grow our hobby, we need to get these people out in the field with their revolvers and show them the light.

Re: perplexing question [Re: LABRAT] #155215 01/21/2015 4:14 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I have been promoting handgun hunting and hunting exclusively with handguns since 1979 and it is my experience that about 95% of the big bore handguns out there are not used as a principal hunting weapon. Even the serious handgun target / competition shooters I know still hunt with a rifle. The reality is that most hunters do not want to hamper their ability to harvest an animal and would rather use a rifle during gun season.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: perplexing question [Re: billa] #155216 01/21/2015 4:18 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I support all efforts to promote handgun hunting. I think my editorial agenda has been clear on this front, but I would personally like to do more. We all need to be ambassadors for our chosen method of hunting, so I encourage y'all to be active in your efforts.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: perplexing question [Re: Whitworth] #155217 01/21/2015 4:27 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Well stated Whitworth. I did not want to sound negative in my earlier post. I was just making a comment on my observations. I have exposed many hunters to handgunning over the years and many at least dabble in it with a few actually diving in full and going handguns only.

Re: perplexing question [Re: billa] #155224 01/21/2015 7:05 AM
SEAK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The meaning of the word hunting has changed much in my lifetime.

Enjoying to circle of life
Re: perplexing question [Re: SEAK] #155225 01/21/2015 11:18 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
I have tried to influence people to handgun hunt many times. One thing I have noticed is there lack of confidence. I also try to get them to a gun club to shoot handguns in order to boost confidence but, that is usually met with excuses. [don't have time, etc.] Sometimes a friendly wager has worked. Since many do not spend any time at the shooting range maybe they are better off with a rifle and probably less wounded animals. Bowhunters seem to be the best people to get to handgun hunt because they seem more passionate or dedicated to the experience. This is just what seems to be true where I live here in SW Pa.

Re: perplexing question [Re: dhom] #155226 01/21/2015 11:41 AM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
dhom, I think you are correct about bowhunters being the best people to convert into handgun hunters. I am a bowhunter who also hunts with everything legal but I have come to realize that I enjoy hunting with my revolvers even more than a bow. I have arthritis in my shoulders now and shooting my longbow and even a compound is painful so I have had to switch to a crossbow.

My handguns give me the opportunity to use my bowhunting skills to get deer within revolver range. Once this year during gun season I was sitting in a chair in a natural blind when I saw three does out of revolver range but within easy 30-06 range. I could have kille one of then shortly after seeing them with my 30-06 but it took several minutes for the deer to get within range of my open sighted 357.

After taking the shot I realized that I had just experienced the strongest adrenalin rust I had had in several years. That is why I hunt with a handgun. If we can get more bowhunters to try hunting with a handgun I really think our style of hunting will grow.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: perplexing question [Re: dhom] #155227 01/21/2015 11:43 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
It"s a confidence issue.

Re: perplexing question [Re: racksmasher1] #155229 01/21/2015 1:02 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I think the biggest idea from non handgun hunters is ,.."that pistol can't shoot that far"-25 yards ,...I have had several friends say that until they watch me shoot critters past their mind limited range,many just don't think pistols are capable/accurate enough to shoot anything past 25 yards,....20 years ago 3 of my friends took their Ruger mini 14's and I had my 10" Contender in .22 Hornet,this was open sighted at the time-waiting for my scope to come in ,but anyway ,we were shooting muskrats from 20-150 yards out ,they watched me shoot several at 50 yards and were amazed it would shoot that far,...then the challenge,...shoot at a big rock 150 yards out ,...I didn't hit it but came within a couple of inches to the left of it several times(remember,open sighted at the time) but I was closer than they were with their .223 rifles and their heads were just a shaken ,wow -never thought a pistol could shoot that far-our boss who was out with us bought himself a smith .357 mag and started taking it out hunting after this incident-so I got 1 convert that day,...but I think its the limited mindset they have,mind you most of our shooting is at 100,75 yards or less but in the Midwest that's most of our shooting distance anyway.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: perplexing question [Re: LABRAT] #155243 01/21/2015 3:08 PM
TM Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Rifle, what's a rifle?

Re: perplexing question [Re: TM] #155249 01/21/2015 4:37 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

Correct me if I am wrong but most of us serious handgun hunters are passionate about the hunt almost to the point where the majority of "hunters" would think we are a little wacko. Many people I know hunt as much for the social aspect of getting out with their buddies as for the actual "harvest." In simpler terms, they are not "passionate hunters." IE we are out there in the worst weather and/or conditions willing to make personal sacrifices because of our "passion."

Alas, we are in the minority; for those "social" hunters (nothing wrong with that, mind you) there is no real reason to switch to a handgun when they really aren't that serious.

Re: perplexing question [Re: TM] #155250 01/21/2015 4:52 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
It's not really all that perplexing when you think about it. Consider this: handgun hunting generally requires far more practice with your weapon in order to be proficient to short or moderate ranges with it. Speaking from experience, it requires around as much practice as a compound bow. Also from experience, I don't practice all that much with my rifle, but of all the game animals I've taken with a rifle, half of them were beyond 200 yards. This, right here, is the biggest disadvantage. You can shoot a handful of rounds and be ready to hunt with a long gun at longer ranges during the relatively short gun season, or you can put in the time and effort to master a bow in order to take advantage of the relatively long bow season.

But what about the handgun? Think about the disadvantages of both the rifle and the bow. A rifle hunter is restricted to a relatively short season, has to hunt pressured deer with the rest of the orange army, and doesn't (usually) have the option of being able to hunt daytime-going, rut-crazed deer like the bowhunters can. On the other hand, a bowhunter must practice far, far more often to become proficient with his weapon, yet he still has to limit himself to a very short range compared to a 200 yard proficient gun hunter. Well, the average handgun hunter has all of these disadvantages. We must practice shooting far more than long gun hunters in order to become proficient at shorter ranges. However, we don't have access to the extended seasons and unpressured, active deer like the bowhunters.

You have hunters who choose long guns for whatever reason. Perhaps they just want a full freezer or antlers on the wall and don't care about the method used. Or, perhaps they have limited time and choose a weapon that requires less practice but is more likely to get results. You have hunters who choose bows for whatever reason. Perhaps they want a greater challenge, or access to longer seasons and unpressured deer. However, comparatively few of either type of hunter will pick up a handgun, a weapon plagued by the disadvantages of both methods. Most gun hunters don't want a gun that will require far more practice for shorter ranges and the same gun season as everyone else. Most bow hunters don't want a tool that will take away time from practicing with their bow and that can only be used during the short gun season. It seems to me that people want to be rewarded for their decision or to reap the advantages, whether they're a rifle hunter who has the capability to shoot deer a hundred or more yards away with minimal practice, or a bowhunter who has the capability to hunt extended seasons and unpressured deer.

Combine all that with the many misconceptions people have about handguns, and it's no wonder so few people take up handgun hunting. Oh, some people may have handgun hunting capable firearms in their possession. But it's more for show, or just for the fun of shooting it.

So, how do we change this? My suggestion is we just get out there and do it. We show the hunting community that a handgun is a viable, rewarding weapon by simply handgun hunting and sharing the results. Go out there and hunt, and while you're at it, take pictures or video. When you kill something and take a picture of yourself with the animal, make sure your handgun is prominently displayed. Take people who seem interested handgun hunting, or at the very least give them guidance.

And remember, NEVER bash someone for their choices. I see that on Facebook hunting pages all the time, someone who will bash someone's weapon choice or trophy. It's really discouraging to younger or newer hunters, and it makes us all look bad. I'm not saying anyone on this site has (we joke amongst ourselves about rifles, but that's different,) but I'd hate to see a handgun hunter bashing or insulting a non handgun hunter at some point on any hunting site.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: perplexing question [Re: Chance Weldon] #155251 01/21/2015 5:01 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I would suggest posting on other websites that are not dedicated to handgun hunting as well. Here, we are preaching to the choir.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: perplexing question [Re: Whitworth] #155254 01/21/2015 5:59 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I think it is a combination of a variety of things: Range, hunting skill, shooting skill, preferences, confidence, and time.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: perplexing question [Re: Ernie] #155257 01/21/2015 7:25 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I guess I understand his perplexity. He grew up thinking that every handgun that entered the house was going hunting. I am working on some guys right now. Several owners of .454s and .44 magnuns that have never had them in the woods. reflex264

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: perplexing question [Re: Whitworth] #155260 01/21/2015 7:48 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Well said!

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I would suggest posting on other websites that are not dedicated to handgun hunting as well. Here, we are preaching to the choir.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: perplexing question [Re: Ernie] #155261 01/21/2015 8:29 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I would say this is not perplexing at all. In handgun hunting as in every other aspect of life, you have leaders and followers, real and fake. True determination doesn't need anything or anyone to hold it's hand. If what someone tells you on social media discourages you from handgun hunting, you were never determined enough in the first place to become a true handgun hunter. Buying a "big handgun" and never hunting with it is the new fad in today's world. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I was always so very hard headed that if someone told me it was impossible or couldn't be done, I was bound and damned determined to prove them wrong.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: perplexing question [Re: Franchise] #155266 01/21/2015 9:51 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
What`s the minimum caliber that you feel makes a big bore handgun???

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: perplexing question [Re: jamesfromjersey] #155267 01/21/2015 10:03 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
Dictionary definition: Rifle- A long, skinny , ugly, thingy used by sissies and malcontents.

Re: perplexing question [Re: wvhitman] #155270 01/21/2015 10:57 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I use both, but I am definitely not pretty.
\:\)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: perplexing question [Re: jamesfromjersey] #155271 01/21/2015 11:20 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
What`s the minimum caliber that you feel makes a big bore handgun???

To me it has to start with a .4 to be considered a big bore.

Some of what he is refering to is the gents we know that have .44 mags, .454s, .475s, .480 and the various .500s that use them strickly to paper punch. It just seems like a waste to have a nice Freedom Arms 83 or a Linbaugh, Dixie, Bowen or Stroh and only use it for target practice. From the time I could do it legaly I carried what I had to the woods. To each his own.reflex264

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

Re: perplexing question [Re: reflex264] #155272 01/21/2015 11:49 PM
LABRAT Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
i am on some pages for 44 magnum and up. some of them i was added because i do handgun hunt. to me big bore starts at .4. i see people that hunt where shots are 100 yards and under where a good handgun has no disadvantage to a rifle. it seems that we have an untapped demographic that could help grow our sport. how do you reach them is the question. i have planted bugs in several people's ears.

Re: perplexing question [Re: LABRAT] #155277 01/22/2015 12:40 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I really think you have to WANT to hunt with a handgun and really have a desire to do so already. I don't think someone can be convinced or talked into doing so. I, myself, have an issue with those that get into the sport we love to just be in the "click". These are the folks that post thousands of comments and seem to know a lot about the sport, but never actually hunt with their handguns. It is easy to see who they are. Our best way of adding to our numbers may be to really encourage our wives, girlfriends, and daughters to handgun hunt. They seem to be a lot tougher and less recoil sensitive than the new "crop" of guys coming up these days. Again, everybody knows "that guy" who bought a 50 Cal. because they think it makes them big and bad, and yet they never hunt with it or really never hunt at all with a handgun. A 357 or 41 mag in the hands of a country girl is a 100 times more deadly than a 500 Smith that never leaves the coffee table or safe. Leave the rifles at home....that is the key! 20 yards or 200 yards, who cares. You will never make handgun kills if you don't leave the long guns at home and really get serious about hunting with handguns. I am speaking from my experience with the local boys around my hometown. The guys who talk about it, but are too lazy to get out and hunt. If this was easy, everyone would do it.

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: perplexing question [Re: Franchise] #155279 01/22/2015 1:50 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Amen brother!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: perplexing question [Re: Franchise] #155284 01/22/2015 3:56 AM
TCScout Offline
"Leave the rifle home....that is the key."

I couldn't agree more.

I you are starting out or are somewhere along the continuum of being a person who wants to hunt primarily and successfully with a short gun, then it seems you have to make it your only option when you are out hunting.

You may come home empty handed more often, but then again you may get motivated to sharpen your skills (woodsmanship and shooting)over time and keep your freezer tolerable full.

Last edited by TCScout; 01/22/2015 4:00 AM.

Post Tenabras Lux
Re: perplexing question [Re: TCScout] #155286 01/22/2015 4:26 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I agree with TCScout. Leaving the rifle at home and committing solely to the handgun is the first step. When I reached that point many years ago I decided that I would rather go with the handgun knowing that some days you would pass on game and come home empty handed. The up side is that any game gotten with a handgun is considered a trophy in my book and gets me far more excited than rifle hunting would.

Re: perplexing question [Re: billa] #155292 01/22/2015 12:12 PM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
I never felt undergunned carrying my pistols,short barrels, shot distance,never intimidated me,yes you have to let some deer go by,BUT, a responsible hunter would also do that with a long gun, confidence,practice, and mindset, thats all you need.

Re: perplexing question [Re: LABRAT] #155299 01/22/2015 4:04 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The first time I showed up to our deer camp with nothing but a shortgun the reaction of my fellow hunters was pretty much universal:

"Why handicap yourself?"

I think that is how the majority of hunters view the subject.

I know for a fact that most of my party never pick up their rifle until right before season to check zero, and some don't even bother doing that. Most have handguns capable of taking deer, but fat chance of them ever putting in the effort required to be proficient with them.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: perplexing question [Re: s4s4u] #155320 01/23/2015 2:10 AM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Many years ago I showed up at the guides house long before daylight at the assigned departure time for a cougar hunt in Colorado. The guide loaded the dogs in the pen on the back of the truck and asked me if I was ready. The next question was. . "Where is your gun?" I unzipped my coat to expose my pet Python only to be met with a scowl and a "You plan to hunt lion with that?" When I answered in the affirmative the guide went back in the house and retrieved an M1 Carbine. Oh such little confidence.

Don't overlook the fact that handguns still carry a stigma and are considered politically incorrect by a large percentage of the population and even a percentage of the hunting fraternity. I can remember conversations in duck blinds where it may have been wise to allow the banning of handguns to appease the anti gun zealots as if anything short of total destruction of all civilian held arms would satisfy them. This mentality made me want one that much more. Being a product of the 60's has had a profound influence on my thinking and my life. Being a handgun hunter is one way this influence is manifested.

Re: perplexing question [Re: s4s4u] #155321 01/23/2015 2:32 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I think you have to be a shooter first not just a hunter and there is a difference.To be proficiant with a handgun,bow or tradional muzzleloader takes time and requires practice. A lot of people will not spend that much time or practice,a shooter will.Something different drives us,makes us want more,makes us challenge ourselves and we are not afraid to fail,and learn from our failures.Some people can't do that so they will pick up the rifle because it is easier and simpler. jmho

junebug
Re: perplexing question [Re: junebug] #155327 01/23/2015 11:37 AM
MrBFR Offline
I think in general most folks who would even consider themselves gun enthusiasts to begin with can't shoot a handgun very well at all. Being able to shoot a nice tight group with a handgun takes a lot more practice and skill than doing it with a rifle rested on a bench. From my many visits at the range it's painfully obvious that many have great difficulty shooting handguns with any remote degree of accuracy.

I agree that you have to be a shooter first and that it really does make a big difference.

Many also think that even the biggest of revolvers are just not powerful enough, in their eyes a .44 Mag pumping out 1000 ft-lbs could never be as effective on deer as their 1700 ft-lb .30-30 because all the care about is ft-lbs. There's more to it than that even, but I think the general view of handguns and most peoples inability to shoot them well is a big reason for it.

BFR 454 - SRH Toklat 454 - SBHH .41 Mag - BH .41 Mag
Re: perplexing question [Re: MrBFR] #155341 01/23/2015 7:18 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Linebaugh said the following "90% of my handguns will never be used to hunt with".....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: perplexing question [Re: jamesfromjersey] #155345 01/23/2015 10:32 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Comparing high velocity rifle to revolvers is nearly like camparing corvettes to dump trucks. I myself have killed many deer with a 240gr cast bullet at a paltry 800-1000fps. The worst destroyed deer I have ever seen including rifle kills was a doe shot at a lasered 112 yards with a 240gr SWC started at 1000fps. Its hard for hunters that believed the 1000ftlbs garbage from gun rags to understand how a big bullet from a revolver can kill anything.reflex264

Re: perplexing question [Re: reflex264] #155349 01/23/2015 11:57 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Its hard for hunters that believed the 1000ftlbs garbage from gun rags to understand how a big bullet from a revolver can kill anything.

Ain't that the truth!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: perplexing question [Re: s4s4u] #155387 01/25/2015 1:55 AM
briarhopper Offline
addict
addict
I've been hunting with my handgun a little bit, but I'm much more likely to pass up a shot than with a rifle. As has been said several times, it is a confidence issue. For me, the lack of confidence is not in the handgun, but in myself. I hate the thought of wounding and losing. My tally over the years is not large. One deer, 4 or 5 caribou, 1 moose and 1 grizzly. All were with a .45/70 except for the deer taken with an 8mm Mauser and 1 caribou with a bolt .30-06. I've never lost an animal, and never put more than one bullet in an animal. It's been difficult for me to trust myself to be that capable and ...ethical?...with a handgun. Ethical is not the right word, but I trust you know what I mean.

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.
Re: perplexing question [Re: briarhopper] #155398 01/25/2015 8:44 PM
3_tens Offline
stranger
stranger
I started hunting in Tennessee. where the valleys are steep and narrow. Many times the deer are only 20 yards from you before they emerge from the brush. It would be hard to get a rifle up and aimed before they are gone. The answer was a pistol. Getting it up and on target required less movement. I have taken more deer with a 357 mag than with all my rifles combined. If the shot is under 60 yards the pistol is the weapon of choice for me. Here in Oklahoma the woods on the eastern side of the state are the most like where I grew up. Now I am learning the sport of the long range specialty pistols. I hope to have my first finished by June for a trip to WY where I am hoping to learn the basics from some of the masters.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more.
They don't laugh they just get sore.
Just have a little fun is a doggone chore.
Re: perplexing question [Re: FA834ME] #155423 01/26/2015 10:06 AM
Spencer Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: FA834ME
Many years ago I showed up at the guides house long before daylight at the assigned departure time for a cougar hunt in Colorado. The guide loaded the dogs in the pen on the back of the truck and asked me if I was ready. The next question was. . "Where is your gun?" I unzipped my coat to expose my pet Python only to be met with a scowl and a "You plan to hunt lion with that?" When I answered in the affirmative the guide went back in the house and retrieved an M1 Carbine. Oh such little confidence.

Interesting. I went on a Mountain Lion hunt in Arizona in 2011. I asked the guide if I could use my revolver. He said he prefers it! This was a dry ground lion hunt on horseback. I showed up for the five day hunt with my .44 special. The guide had his old beat up Ruger Single Action with him........... .22LR, I asked him about it and he said it don't take much to kill a lion. We quickly became good friends

needless to say, I am going back to hunt with him again. This March.

Last edited by Spencer; 01/26/2015 10:07 AM.

NRA life member
Let's go make some memories

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod