Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Backpack ?? #155980 02/05/2015 5:47 PM
FAH Offline OP
OP Offline
Do any of you backpack hunt? I'm looking for recommendations on a new pack. I don't mean a little pack for lunch and coffee. I mean throw on a pack and go in deep for the day (with enough stuff to spend the night if needed to) or even for 3-4 days, and pack out your meat. I have an Eberlestock X2 that I really like but was looking for a pack with a little more capacity. The Kuiu Ultra 3,00, the Tenzing 4000, or the Eberlestock Team Elk pack. Would appreciate hearing your experience with these or other suggestions. Thanks.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Backpack ?? [Re: FAH] #155983 02/05/2015 6:54 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I have the X2 as well and you're right it doesn't quite cut it. I've been looking at modular packs with a frame that I can add pouches to as different needs arise. I like the concept and looks of the Tenzing CF13 and the kifaru duplex platform but I haven't tried either of them. They are expensive...

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Backpack ?? [Re: FAH] #155984 02/05/2015 6:59 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I live in Alaska & if I am going to be more then about 100yds from the truck or camp then I am wearing the backpack, & as you said it will have at a minimum everything I need to get through a wet chilly night. I also often go in farther than is wise for multiple nights chasing moose or bear. Even if I am just out for the afternoon I want a pack that will get a good load of meat out first trip so like you, daypacks don't really interest me.
I used an Eberlestock Just 1 (the Blue Widow model) for a couple of years and really liked it. Very compressible but has capacity for a fair load. I could even put it on my Barney's pack frame (best traditional pack frame out there in my opinion) going in to camp & then use the E-stock as my "day pack".
Then last year I found Kifaru.
http://store.kifaru.net/hunting-c2.aspx
Specifically I picked up their Duplex frame & a Highcamp 7000 bag. It was more money than I have ever spent on a pack before (or thought I ever would) but I tell you I have never worn a pack that was more comfortable with heavy loads or compressed down to just survival kit & lunch. 80# in this feels like 40# in the Eberlestock. It is night & day. Break that 100# mark & the Barney's frame pack may start to gain a little advantage in comfort, but I don't like breaking 100# much or for far anymore :-)
The versatility of the Kifaru line is great too. Quality is amazing & their customer service was second to none.
If you enjoy back pack hunting you might try this sight.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/forum.php
Not handgun specific but lots of backpack hunters, & many in Washington who might be willing to let you play with their pack before you buy so you can compare.
I don't regret my Kifaru purchase in the least.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Backpack ?? [Re: FAH] #155986 02/05/2015 8:21 PM
Wayland137 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Kuiu is amazing, I have a friend who has one of the 3000s and he let me borrow it and it was probably the best pack I have ever carried. Saving now to get one and pay my ammo bills (they are pricey, but worth it!)

Re: Backpack ?? [Re: FAH] #155991 02/05/2015 11:54 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Kifarus are nice and my buddy uses one. I'm still old school. I use a Bull-Pacs frame (Idaho?) and strap or tie various bags and sacks as needed. I only do this so I can tie a quarter of meat or a canvas bag of meat to it and not get everything else all messed up. After I did this a few time, I know what is in each bag and I've actually been able to pack less---things I've never used. I usually carry way too much stuff. I find the traditional day-packs are okay for a camping trip with the scouts!

My old back and legs can't handle everything you can put on this frame. It is not a cheapie like the Alaskan frames that flex under load.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Backpack ?? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #155994 02/06/2015 12:12 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have a Horn Hunter Full Curl combo. I realy like it. I haven't used it for an overnight hunt yet, but definitely could. I have the frame and the day pack attachment, but would like to get the larger pack attachment someday so I could have the option for a week backpack hunt if needed. I got mine for CHEAP off of fairchasedeals.com The pack as I bought it is worth $270 and I got it for $170.

I like that it can be worn as a fairly compact day pack with frame able to take out a heavy load after you have downed the animal. I also like that it is made in the U.S.A.

here is their website. check out the video towards the bottom of the page, he goes thoroughly through the features of the pack.

https://hornhunterpacks.com/product/full-curl-system/

Last edited by BBwheelgunner; 02/06/2015 12:15 AM.

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Backpack ?? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #155997 02/06/2015 12:50 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: Bullelk Hunter
Kifarus are nice and my buddy uses one. I'm still old school. I use a Bull-Pacs frame (Idaho?) and strap or tie various bags and sacks as needed. I only do this so I can tie a quarter of meat or a canvas bag of meat to it and not get everything else all messed up.

I'm with you on frame packs Bullelk Hunter. When I finally broke down & spent the bucks on a Barney's frame I thought I had found packing Nirvana. For me the Kifaru works better in the heavy alders & such we have here. the top corners of the frame packs are always getting hung up in the alders & willows. The design of the Kifaru pretty well eliminates that.
The Highcamp 7000 bag I have for the Kifaru is one big compartment with no divisions or pockets (top opens & large access opening at bottom). I use your system of putting groups of gear in light drybags of various sizes for organization. Kitchen stuff in mid size blue, clothes in midsize red, kill kit in midsize orange, firstaid kit in small red & WELL marked, etc.

Also for backpack hunters, if you haven't tried them the TAG Bag gamebags by Pristine Ventures are THE bomb. A full set of synthetic bags (that WILL hold up to repeated use & washings & breathe well) that will handle an entire moose or buffalo weigh in at just over 2 pounds in their stuff sack & compress to take up less area than a football. The moose set includes 6 bags I believe & the quarter bags will take a large bone in bull's hind quarter with hock attached & when tied no bone is exposed.
They make sets sized for deer & elk too. I love it because mine are ALWAYS in the pack. 1 dray bag holds them, Havalon knives, paracord, contractor garbage bags to use for ground tarp, license & tags, etc.
http://www.pristineventures.com/products/synthetic-game-bags.html

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Backpack ?? [Re: Vance in AK.] #156001 02/06/2015 2:19 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Thanks Vance. I'm checking out those bags tonight.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Backpack ?? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #156057 02/07/2015 5:33 PM
FAH Offline OP
OP Offline
Gents, greatly appreciate your advise. I'm following up and researching your recommendations, also the websites you listed are helpful. Anyone have any experience with a Kuiu Icon 5200 pack? Thanks much.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Backpack ?? [Re: FAH] #156059 02/07/2015 8:17 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I know I heard of quite a few frame failures with the kuiu packs (frames) with heavy loads a couple years ago but they claim the newer ones have overcome the issues.
NO personal experience.

Vance in AK.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod