Print Thread
Another moose season past.... #10013 09/21/2005 6:07 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Without success on my part.
Had fun though!
Bow season opens here on Aug. 10 & goes thru Aug 17. Then, general saeson starts Aug. 20 & goes thru Sept. 20. Then, the rut starts Sept. 21! Just kidding on the start of the rut, but I'm not far off. Yesterday morning it was around 40* at sunup, this morning it was 31*. One or two more mornings like that & they'll get started.
The last 10 days I gave up the recurvearried my mod. 29 loaded with 320 cast @ 1345ish fps, but didn't get a chance to try them out. The only blood I got on me this year was from a grouse I got with my bow. That's also the biggest drawback to gun hunting for me. While gunhunting I saw many grouse I could have got with a bow or handgun. With the bow you just nail them & toss them in the pack. With the pistol you have to pass for fear of scaring every critter within a mile.
Oh well, maybe I'll get a chance to go chase a black bear around spot & stalk, but for the most part I'm guessing hunting's over for me until spring bear season. Maybe I'll take the .22 out & try & get even with those grouse....

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Vance in AK.] #10014 09/21/2005 10:18 PM
Rick Offline
addict
addict
Hate you did not draw blood from a moose. However, at least you were out enjoying life, hunting and the outdoors. Sounds a lot better than work to me. One day I would love to hunt in Alaska and see the beautiful country.

Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Rick] #10015 09/21/2005 11:18 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
sorry you didn't get you a moose, but i hope you had a good time chasing them though. and good luck on bears in the spring. i just gotta ask though, there's nothing else to hunt until then? sorry if that sounds stupid, but i'm not familiar with what's available in alaska. didn't realize the season was that short. is it just a lack of different game in the area? any other animals to chase? i guess the long seasons we have here for deer.. i didn't realize the seasons weren't long everywhere. that does sound stupid .

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Vance in AK.] #10016 09/22/2005 12:27 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Sorry to hear that Vance. It would have been super to smack a big ole Moose with that .44. I too would have thought that you'd be just getting started with all your seasons, but I guess you are really WAY UP NORTH (compared to us Lower 48 guys) aren't you.

Anyway there is always next year like you said. That's the spirit to have. Me, I got turned down in the South Dakota East River Deer License Drawing this year. The Wife got a coveted Roberts County Any Deer License, so it looks like I am going to have to send if for an Antlerless License if I wanna go along.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Larry in SD] #10017 09/22/2005 1:04 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
No shame in helping thin out the does Larry! I'd gladly thin a cow moose here.
Bisleyfan, there are caribou season that are opening now, but that's pretty much a fly in operation(read expensive for the average guy... too expensive for me) in most places. There are a few places you can get to with ATVs, but they are all a couple hundred mile(that's the closest, most are at least 300) one way drive from here, & I don't have an ATV anyway. For dear you have to fly out to tyhe islands, also spendy. Spot & stock for black bear is about it for now. The exception is if you were drawn for special permits.
To be honest, the hunting here isn't near as good as in Montana. I spent 5 yrs there, & to me that's a hunter's paradise, but primarily for bowhunters.
Don't get me wrong though, Alaska is still a great state to hunt in.

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Vance in AK.] #10018 09/22/2005 3:51 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Yep you're right about the does. They taste mighty good. However I like to be able to make the decision as to what I shoot rather than having someone make it for me. As it has been everytime I have an Antlerless Tag in my pocket all those nice Bucks just STAND right in front of me teasing me if you will.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Vance in AK.] #10019 09/22/2005 1:51 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
yeah, from what i hear and see montana is a hunter's paradise. i hope to get there someday as well as alaska. don't know if i got what it takes, though. i'm pretty used to easy going hunts on flat land mostly from tree stands. but from what i've seen and read alaska is a beautiful place. maybe i'll just visit as a tourist first. but then, i'll probably want to move there ...peace, quiet, and nature tend to do that to me. well good luck with the grouse and with the bears next spring, too!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: bisleyfan44] #10020 09/23/2005 1:01 AM
Pie-bald Offline
stranger
stranger
Vance, as an old recurve shooter myself I was wondering what kind you carry and what broadheads you are using up there.

Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Pie-bald] #10021 09/23/2005 1:16 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Hey Pie-bald,
Up to this tear I've been a longbow shooter, with a Pronghorn & a Howard Hill or two, but I recently traded one of the HHs for a Black Widow MA III recurve, #59 @ my 27" draw, & I love it. Smoothest bow I've ever played with, & much faster & easier on my shoulders that the mid-upper #60s longbows.
Right now I'm shooting ceader shafts with 160 Ace broadheads, but I recently picked up some Grizzly Stick carbons that I want to try, hopefully with the same heads & a 125 gr screw in adapter for a total arrow weight of between 650 & 700 grains. Should be good black bear or moose medicine. Caribou too for that matter.
What were you shooting?

Vance in AK.

Re: Another moose season past.... [Re: Vance in AK.] #10022 09/23/2005 2:18 AM
Pie-bald Offline
stranger
stranger
I'm still shooting and older Black Widow. It's a 64" MB 82#@31",120# spline cedar shafts or 2317's & 2419's. I also have a couple Assienhiemers 83@31" and 60#@31". I've owned Fedora's, Martin and Bighorn's and the old Widow is the best I've ever owned. Been shooting this one for about 15 years now. As for broadheads I've used about everything, Snuffer's, Zwickies. Magnus but my favorite is the old Stainless Steel Butterfield Brutes using a Fred Bear bleeder blade. The last couple of years I've been slacking a little and saving my tags for the pistols and just got back from Canada bear hunting with a Winchester 1895 in a 405.(killed my best bear yet with it) I killed 39 deer and 3 bears with recurves with my best deer a 175 4/8 Ohio buck. I also flecth my arrows with real wild turkey feathers that I split. grind and chop. One of these years I hope too make it up there on a fly-in Caribou hunt. My wife used to live in Anchorage and I'm trying to talk her into going back one of these days.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod