Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Qualifying for the books #158768 05/06/2015 4:02 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Is there a different organization that has record books for big game animals taken with a handgun? One of the big items left on my bucket list is to get my name in the books. I don't care what big game animal it is with. I don't have a preference, I just want to be in the books. I could be the last entry for all I care, but I want to be in the books.

Since I started hunting with a handgun a few years ago, I have only been using handguns, and nothing else. I'm wondering if there is a different organization, or set of books, that pertains strictly to handguns? Or are we thrown in with the B&C scores? If there is a different organization, what is it, and how does it work? Are there limits to what qualifies as a "handgun"? Do I have to be a member first, or do I just contact them when I have taken something that qualifies?

I thought I had read a thread similar to this somewhere some time ago, but can't find it. Sorry if this is a repeat, or in the wrong discussion category.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 05/06/2015 4:03 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Raptortrapper] #158770 05/06/2015 5:03 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Safari Club (SCI) has a handgun category for each animal species listed separately. You must be a member to get entered into the book, once you are in, you are in. The book includes all methods of take, and is not handgun specific. The SCI scoring method does not penalize the animal for certain disparities like the B&C and P&Y methods do, so the SCI score is generally several points higher.

A few years ago SCI was trying to get more handgun hunters to enter their animals taken and I was helping to promote it here on HHM by offering coupons toward the entry fees. This may be the thread you remember.

SCI's goal was to get enough entries to publish a handgun only records book, but in spite of everybody's efforts (including Mark Hampton entering over 100 animals) not enough entries were received and the effort was abandoned.

I believe JD Jones at one time was considering a handgun only record book but it has not evolved that I am aware of.

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Gregg Richter] #158772 05/06/2015 5:23 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
It's a shame that we couldn't get a handgun only record book. As many game animals many here on this site have under their belts, you'd think that would be enough.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Chance Weldon] #158777 05/07/2015 12:56 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Maybe it is but obviously not enough of them joined SCI and entered their animals.

I did what I could to promote it and so did others as well as SCI.

Amazingly I even got a bit of negative feedback!

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Gregg Richter] #158780 05/07/2015 1:01 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Man, what a bummer. Yeah Gregg, that thread you mentioned was the one.

Guess I'll just go for B&C then!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Chance Weldon] #158782 05/07/2015 1:09 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
It's a shame that we couldn't get a handgun only record book. As many game animals many here on this site have under their belts, you'd think that would be enough.

There's lots of handgun kills on this site, but the critter still has to score high enough to make the book; not just be killed with a handgun.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: KRal] #158843 05/08/2015 3:22 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
True, but when I checked, it seemed SCI had rather relaxed standards. If I remember correctly, a 110" SCI buck would get you a bronze entry in the Southeastern whitetail handgun records.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: KRal] #158847 05/08/2015 3:31 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
KRal,

And that, of course, is the whole idea of a "record book."

The minimums required for handgun entries are noticeably less than for rifle entries.

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Gregg Richter] #158850 05/08/2015 3:34 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
My point exactly. I'm no good with estimating scores, but I bet I've taken two bucks that, had I used a handgun, would have made it.

One of which happens to be that 8 point that came within handgun range while mine was still getting repaired.
\:\(

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Raptortrapper] #158872 05/09/2015 4:10 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
Man, what a bummer. Yeah Gregg, that thread you mentioned was the one.

Guess I'll just go for B&C then!!

Rap, I don't know why you would make that decision...

B&C does not distinguish between different methods of take, as SCI does. And the requirements are all the same, basically, regardless of which organization you choose:

You need to join that organization, have your animal scored by an official scorer for that organization, and then if your animal meets the minimum score, do the paperwork and pay the fee to enter it.

Safari Club International is your best bet, at this time, for entering your handgun trophies "in the book."

\:\)

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Gregg Richter] #158875 05/09/2015 1:43 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
KRal,

And that, of course, is the whole idea of a "record book."

The minimums required for handgun entries are noticeably less than for rifle entries.

Right...that was my point.
;\)

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Gregg Richter] #158881 05/09/2015 6:14 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Yeah, but I feel "cheated" if they accept me into the books with a lesser score just cause I used a handgun. In my original question, I didn't state this, but I was hoping that if the handgun books existed, they were held to the same standards as the B&C books. I have to be a better hunter by using a handgun than what a lot of guys are with rifles, so why cheapen the books just to get enough numbers to "make a book"?

If I'm gonna play, I'm gonna play with the big boys.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 05/09/2015 6:17 PM.

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Raptortrapper] #158883 05/09/2015 9:47 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
raptortrapper, No need to feel cheated; the minimums for handgun, muzzleloader, and rifle are the same in SCI. Bow entries have a lesser minimum. The Record Books are published separately for Africa, North America, and South America, Asia, Europe, and South Pacific. In each Record Book, entries are categorized by rifle, handgun, bow & arrow, muzzle-loader, ect. SCI lists all huntable species from all over the world -- 5 continents.

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Gregg Richter] #158890 05/10/2015 4:49 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

Is this not true then? I'm confused...

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Raptortrapper] #158893 05/10/2015 12:49 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
You can go to scifirstforhunters.org and at the top -- click on Record Book. At the bottom of the page you will see some articles I wrote "The Thrill of Handgun Hunting." Scroll down -- on the right in green you will see quick links. Look at #4 -- Record book levels, minimums, & top tens. This will take you to a page where you can see minimums for category.

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Mark Hampton] #158902 05/10/2015 5:08 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Mark is right, I stand corrected. Since I also have archery trophies in the book my memory was thinking lesser minimum for handgun also.

I do apologize.

Re: Qualifying for the books [Re: Gregg Richter] #158909 05/11/2015 2:42 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Ah! Ok. Now I'm on the same page. Thanks guys.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod