Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to store hunting handguns in safe #159875 06/13/2015 9:09 PM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just curious how y'all store your handguns in your safe? Do you just set them on a shelf or is there some kind of contraption like the little pistol racks that you slide the barrel over a rod? Thanks

Re: How to store hunting handguns in safe [Re: eastex] #159898 06/14/2015 2:08 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I just leave mine on their sides on the top shelf, and typically in their holsters.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: How to store hunting handguns in safe [Re: Chance Weldon] #159909 06/14/2015 12:38 PM
nytracker Offline
addict
addict
Good question . I never store mine in holsters mine are in the boxes they come in or laying on the shelves. I learned along time ago never leave guns stored in soft cases or leather. Had a sheep skin lined case that held moisture causing rust on a shotgun . Leather ammo belt has caused my brass to turn green.. i always wipe my guns down stand them on racks in the safe with humidifier. I have desiccant packs in my ammo boxes and in my microvault where my glock is. Not sure if i am overdoing it but i dont like rust... dont want to take chances on rust on my guns . When im done hunting on the way home my guns are in the front seat and heater on high to cook of condensation that forms on metal when it goes from cold to warm in the car. Little trick my gramps taught me years ago. And always oil cloth all guns after being handled. Im not sure on the wire gun racks you slide in the barrel. I was taught not to put anything except a cleaning rod in the barrel of the gun . Interested to see what the responses will be on them.

Save liberals from them selves, stich their sphincter closed so they cant talk out their arse
Re: How to store hunting handguns in safe [Re: nytracker] #159911 06/14/2015 3:19 PM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
^^ yea I'm not crazy about sticking a metal rod down the end of my barrel

Re: How to store hunting handguns in safe [Re: eastex] #159912 06/14/2015 3:25 PM
FAH Offline
I store all my pistols and revolvers on racks on the top shelf of my safe. Nothing goes into the barrel. You can get these racks from Midway USA, called Lockdown Pistol Rack, product # 715875. This rack hold 6 guns and cost $16.99.
Have used these for years, Works for me.

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: How to store hunting handguns in safe [Re: FAH] #160085 06/20/2015 7:58 PM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I built this rack from soft pine and it sits on the top shelf of my safe.

It has slots for 14 guns. I currently keep 8 Contenders, 5 Encores and 1 Savage Striker in the rack. I originally had green felt glued to the slots, but it was trying to bleed through to the guns, especially stainless steel.

I mounted a piece of pegboard on the inside of my safe door. I use hooks to hang my revolvers and semi-autos on it.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: How to store hunting handguns in safe [Re: Randominator] #160091 06/20/2015 11:24 PM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
^ great idea that is something like what I was looking for thanks

Re: How to store hunting handguns in safe [Re: eastex] #160139 06/22/2015 12:33 AM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm a pistol guy. My main safe had those tacky grey carpet covered shelves that allowed you to split the room into two sections. I didn't need that much long gun capacity, and wanted more pistol room. So I pulled it all out and built simple shelves in there. The top shelf goes almost all the way across the top. It leaves a bit of room for some long barreled guns to sit along the wall. The top shelf has all my carry guns. All loaded and ready to go. Laying on their sides with the holsters in a basket on top of the safe.

All the other pistols are laid out on shelves with one plastic rack that holds 4 guns. Not to impressed with it, but it works. I like the air to get around them. I have my long guns in 3 rows of 4 guns. The front row are all hot. A loaded .22lr, .44mag, pump shottie, and a mini-14. The ones behind should be unloaded, but they get checked, of course, if pulled out.

db

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod