Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooting Steel #159972 06/16/2015 4:33 PM
JW Gross Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering how you guys that shoot steel hang your steel plates? I have seen where some guys use chain or sometimes a hook or rubber straps. What works best for you? Show some pics of your set up.

Re: Shooting Steel [Re: JW Gross] #159973 06/16/2015 5:20 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
This is my 50 yard plate rack. I found an old conveyor belt from a rock quarry in the local landfill and cut it into strips an inch and a half wide to hang the plates. Chain may break if it takes a direct hit, where these will take many hits without ill effect. The target frame is made from an old 12' round trampoline.

I anchor the plates with a nut between the strap and the plate to give them a downward angle.

I have 3 more frames, each with a single 10" plate done up the same way.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Shooting Steel [Re: s4s4u] #159976 06/16/2015 7:29 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
MGM

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Shooting Steel [Re: Zee] #160013 06/17/2015 10:06 PM
JW Gross Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys.

Re: Shooting Steel [Re: JW Gross] #160022 06/18/2015 12:37 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I think a person could cut the tread face off of a tire to get a similar hanger material to the conveyor belt that I was lucky enough to find. The weight of the steel would straighten what little arc it may have out I'd expect. It really takes a bullet well.

Rod, too.

Re: Shooting Steel [Re: s4s4u] #160035 06/18/2015 11:49 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
I think a person could cut the tread face off of a tire to get a similar hanger material to the conveyor belt that I was lucky enough to find. The weight of the steel would straighten what little arc it may have out I'd expect. It really takes a bullet well.

Mud flaps from a semi or heavy equipment will work, as well.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Shooting Steel [Re: KRal] #160040 06/18/2015 3:02 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: KRal
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u

Mud flaps from a semi or heavy equipment will work, as well.

Now there ya go. Hadn't thought of that.

Rod, too.

Re: Shooting Steel [Re: s4s4u] #160137 06/22/2015 12:17 AM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
It's funny, there are two approaches, steel or rubber. I haul concrete to get a paycheck. That means I'm around mud flaps and conveyor belts all the time. I use chain. Go figure.

I go by the theory that nothing will hold up. Up keep is constant. Chain can be found may places. I'm not opposed to picking up chunks of chain at the road side. I find all sorts of stuff, tools, stuffed animals, and stuff at the side of the road.

My main range has two 6x6 pressure treated posts sunk in the ground with concrete. I nail scrap 2x board across the front and back. In between I dump 'pit waste' that is the waste that all concrete plants generate. Every one of you live within a dozen miles of a few concrete plants, and every one of them pays to have someone haul the stuff off. You can get it for nothing if you have any skill at asking. Dump it between the boards and nothing goes thru it. I've not tried .50bmg's, but .30-06 and Casulls at 25 yards never come out the other side.

Across the top I have a roof to keep the thing dry, and I have two 2x4 arms that stick out towards the shooting bench area. I hang chain from that. You can pick up plate steel all over the place. Go to a recycling place. They will let you run off with some. Worst case it might cost you a buck or two. I'd bet if a person bought a low dollar cooler, loaded it with sodas and went to a steel recycle place, they could get anything they wanted.

Another construction waste item is the twist ties that they bundle rebar up with. It is a very soft malleable steel about a 1/4 inch in diameter. Works great for fixing chains or hanging steel. I keep a stout pair of channel locks, a hammer, and some nails down on the range. This lets me fix stuff up as I tear it apart. No money out of pocket.

db

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod