Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk #160097 06/21/2015 1:09 AM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have had a redhawk 44 for about 10 years and shoot it iron sights out to 100 yds and can make consistent hits with it at that range. I just recently bought a super blackhawk in 44 and I can't shoot it anywhere near as good as the redhawk and it has a way better sa trigger. With the redhawk I can shoot a little orange ear plug at 30 yds I do it almost every time I go out and at 30 yds I can shoot a 5 shot group with all touching and look like a 3 shot group and I'm not saying this to say how good of a shot I am, I have just put thousands of rounds down range with the redhawk and can't get use to the all black front sight on the blackhawk. I thought about upgrading the sight but the gun smith at my gunshop said that it is a pain to get the stock front sight off the black hawk. I really like shooting a revolver with iron sights so a scope or red dot sight is not an option for me personally but any advice that yall may have would be appreciated

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160098 06/21/2015 1:13 AM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Also I have my redhawk sighted in with a dead hold and I was told by a buddy of mine that the super blackhawk was intended for 6 o clock hold... Would yall agree? I have heard that from some of the guys I shoot idpa with that they shoot their revolvers with 6 o clock holds but I shoot all my guns dead on hold

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160099 06/21/2015 1:19 AM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Also I am shooting a lswc over 19.0 gr of 2400 which out of my redhawk is deadly accurate

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160104 06/21/2015 1:52 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I was told by a buddy of mine that the super blackhawk was intended for 6 o clock hold...

Oh bologna! What does a 6 o'clock hold look like on a deer at 100 yards anyway? Group size has little to nothing to do with where you hold the sights, but moreso with how you hold and fire the gun. A center hold is my preference as well.

With single action revolvers grip consistancy is paramount to accuracy. You could try smoking your front sight, or get out a file and undercut the ramp to cut the glare, like a patridge sight. I think a little more trigger time will go a long way.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: s4s4u] #160105 06/21/2015 3:09 AM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
^^ thanks I forgot to mention It is a black sight and I don't have the best eye sight so I took a little white fingernail polish and put a little on the ramp that way the front doesn't blend in with the rear sight so much. And yes the grip angle took some getting used to but I love how it seems to recoil back into my hand more and makes the recoil not seem as bad

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160108 06/21/2015 11:42 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
grip consistency just like s4s4u said. get a new gunsmith. i changed the front sight of mine with a tack hammer. finishing nail, a pair of vice grips, on the kitchen counter. i didnt even scratch the counter which made mother happy.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: bluecow] #160109 06/21/2015 12:09 PM
Brenden Offline
addict
addict
Eastex, something you may try to help with seeing the sights is something I tried a few days ago. I took a front sight and cut the ramp portion out. When you do this, you are left with a "post" style front. I then center punched and drilled it and installed a fiber optic strand. It turned out pretty good, and it may just be the ticket. I need to use a smaller strand next time and move it up just a touch. This was just a practice run.

I'm not the first to do this, I read about it somewhere. Simple but effective!

Brenden

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: Brenden] #160136 06/21/2015 11:54 PM
dogsbreath Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey Eastex,
That's a nice gun you got there. You said you are good with the super red hawk because of the number of rounds you ran thru it. Have you given the new gun it's chance?

I'm a single (widowed) guy who has one of his grand daughters clean my house. She and her friend are both 24. The friend was cleaning up the living room when she ran across my nail polish. Kinda funny conversation there. But the stuff works good on front sites.

Have you ever heard of the hill billy trigger job for that gun? I tried it, and opted to use the stock set up, but if you pull off the grip handles there are two little springs that pull back the trigger. Unhook one and you have a lighter trigger. Unhook both and you have a dangerous gun. Any reasonably safe person can play with this and see how they like it.

My SBH is out on loan right now. I'm kinda jonesing for it.

db

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160143 06/22/2015 9:19 AM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
I suggest you buy bright colored model paint at a hobby shop for the front sight or find a true gunsmith to change it for you. Consider getting a pair of Pachmayr grips. The Super Blackhawk should shoot the same as the Redhawk if the barrels / sight radius are the same.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160180 06/23/2015 5:33 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: eastex
Also I have my redhawk sighted in with a dead hold and I was told by a buddy of mine that the super blackhawk was intended for 6 o clock hold

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a 6 o'clock hold?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: Chance Weldon] #160184 06/23/2015 5:46 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:

6 o'clock on the left, center hold in the center pic.

Rod, too.

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: s4s4u] #160185 06/23/2015 5:53 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thanks, Rod.
\:\)

Question. I use the hold depicted in image 3 when shooting my 460 (and my 375, come to think of it) with open sights. Am I doing it wrong?

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: Chance Weldon] #160189 06/23/2015 6:45 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Am I doing it wrong?

As long as you can hit where you intend to it wouldn't be wrong. I just find the center hold works best for me. Not all sights have little dots to line up like the hold shown on the right. It is easier to line up the top surfaces on standard iron sights and disect the target. I always know where I am that way. Fiber optics can be another story altogether. The 6 o'clock hold is for shooting bullseye competitions at a specific distance, like 25 yards. The idea is that you sight in so the bullet hits 1-1/2" high at that distance, which would be the center of a 3" black bullseye for instance, so you can hold at the bottom of the bull and can see your sights better. Black sights on a black target can be difficult to distinguish.

Rod, too.

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: s4s4u] #160197 06/24/2015 5:53 AM
eastex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the advice fellas I'm gonna spend some more time shooting and stick with it. And dog breath thanks and yes I have played around with that, one thing about me is every gun I buy or own I polish the trigger and sometimes order springs if the polish job isn't good enough. Bad triggers= no fun!

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160205 06/24/2015 11:18 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Find a firm consistant repeatable grip that works for you. That for me is the cornerstone of handgun shooting. It has to be consistant and repeatable for the guns do move in your hand with each shot.I use Pachmayr or Hogues on all my guns as they give me the most consistant grip. Everything else builds off of the grip. J.M.H.O.

junebug
Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: Chance Weldon] #160213 06/25/2015 2:22 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
Also I have my redhawk sighted in with a dead hold and I was told by a buddy of mine that the super blackhawk was intended for 6 o clock hold

6 o'clock hold is a PITA!!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: Raptortrapper] #160333 06/30/2015 7:54 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
I find that my Black and SuperBlackhawks are more sensitive to grip pressure than my SRH or RHs are.

Give the gun a fair shake. My SBH's are some of the most accurate firearms I own, if I do my part.

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: 98Redline] #160532 07/08/2015 10:27 PM
TGC Offline
Painted my blackhawk sight bright orange. BUT with my eyesight now days all I see is the rear sight and an orange BLOB. So I try to use the 6, oclock,,,,,just put the orange blob below the spot I want to hit
seriously.

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: eastex] #160546 07/09/2015 12:20 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Also I have my redhawk sighted in with a dead hold and I was told by a buddy of mine that the super blackhawk was intended for 6 o clock hold... Would yall agree? I have heard that from some of the guys I shoot idpa with that they shoot their revolvers with 6 o clock holds but I shoot all my guns dead on hold

How you sight the revolver in will determine where you need to hold. If you sight-in for a 6 o'clock hold, then you'll need to use a 6 o'clock hold to hit anything. That said, sight it in the way you prefer to shoot.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Need a lot of practice with super blackhawk [Re: Whitworth] #160570 07/10/2015 9:46 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
I have always sighted my revolvers for six o'clock hold for target practice but, when I am hunting I found out that I automatically aim where I want to hit. I don't know if it is excitement or just a reflex from 49 yrs of hunting. You will have to find out what suites you best.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod