Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mounting a scope level #160598 07/11/2015 5:33 AM
longhunter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
When mounting a scope on a revolver what do you guys use to make sure your scope is level. I have just been doing it by eye, but never feel like I've got it exact.

"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"
Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: longhunter] #160601 07/11/2015 1:54 PM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
I use this on all my scope mounted guns.

Very handy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/189016/...=ProductFinding

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: longhunter] #160604 07/11/2015 2:09 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
I have just been doing it by eye

Works for me.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: s4s4u] #160609 07/11/2015 7:56 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've got a leveling kit that consists of two bubble levels, one which sits atop the top scope turret while the other goes on the scope rail. It works fairly well, I think.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: Chance Weldon] #160614 07/11/2015 11:15 PM
longhunter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
I've got a leveling kit that consists of two bubble levels, one which sits atop the top scope turret while the other goes on the scope rail. It works fairly well, I think.

I have a set of those I use on my rifles but there is no place to set the magnetized one on my pistols, all the scope mounts are aluminium.

Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: longhunter] #160712 07/15/2015 7:29 PM
Dano in Mexico Offline
stranger
stranger
Longhunter,

I have only mounted a scope on two different handguns. A contender barrel and many Freedom Arms M 83s. What I am trying to accomplish when I am mounting mine is to make the vertical part of reticle/crosshair square with the frame, thus basically making the horizontal crosshair level to the gun. How I accomplish this on the FA M83s is too place the barrel in a soft sandbag or similar rest and then I align with my eye, the straight edge of a building square to the hammer of the FA M83 as the hammer is perfectly vertical to the frame. This will require some unique focusing of the eye to accomplish. I wear corrective lenses (now) for distance and I typically perform this step with my glasses off and it works great. For other guns (i.e., S&W's) they may have a flared hammer at the top, but for the most part the base of the hammer where it goes into the frame should be a straight line for reference.

For the Contender barrel, it has a flat bottom surface so as long as your bench surface is level then you can perform the same step with the straight edge of the square for it as well.

As just an FYI, for load development when I am in the field shooting off of sandbags, I like to take a Sharpie pen and make a horizontal bold line with a 2 foot (building) level. The reason for this is when I am shooting my test groups I can avoid any canting of the gun by aligning the horizontal part of the reticle/crosshair with the known level line on the target. The advantage of this is simply to know if a hit on the paper target for example high and to the left, really is high and to the left and not just high, but canted left of center due to my hold in the sandbags. It just gives you two good points of reference. Again this is all just part of load development and scope adjustment. When all of that is done then it is time to shoot off hand and you can feel confident that everything is in as much alignment and you know where you should be hitting.

I hope this has been helpful. I'm in Mexico "Missouri" and not the country of Mexico. I see you're in Butler Missouri, so if you're ever passing through Mexico Mo or going to the well known Graf & Sons Reloading, let me know or stop and say hi.

Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: Dano in Mexico] #160714 07/15/2015 9:44 PM
longhunter Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Will do Dano and thanks for the 411. what I ended up doing was putting the revolver in my handgun rest and using a small 1ft framing level to get everything as level as possible, then I hung a string and a plumbob from one of my wifes outdoor plant hangers and lining up the vertical crosshairs with the string. does that make sence.

Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: longhunter] #160717 07/15/2015 10:06 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: longhunter
Will do Dano and thanks for the 411. what I ended up doing was putting the revolver in my handgun rest and using a small 1ft framing level to get everything as level as possible, then I hung a string and a plumbob from one of my wifes outdoor plant hangers and lining up the vertical crosshairs with the string. does that make sence.

Makes perfect sense. I might have to try that next time to see if it helps.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: longhunter] #160718 07/15/2015 10:06 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I prefer doing it by eye. I roughly align and then at the range make it plum again by my eye.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: Mounting a scope level [Re: magman] #160728 07/16/2015 3:35 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I definitely use a level.

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod