Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Learning my scope #161914 08/22/2015 9:02 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I got some help from a member on here that I consider to be one of the "gods of handgunning". I reached out to Ernie for some long range help, and he gave me more help than I could have ever imagined!

I am shooting my 460 S&W out to 300 yards and hitting a gong that is about 18" square on a regular basis. I have to hold high, but once I get the holdover figured out, it is very consistent. I want to push past the 300 yard mark as I KNOW this 460 is more than capable of doing it. Problem is, I can't get past 300 with this Luepold VXIII 2.5-8x32 because I don't have any kind of mil dot graduations, and I HAVE to have more magnification if I'm going to get it done. OR SO I THOUGHT!!!

I contacted Ernie to see what scope he would suggest. He told me he uses the same scope I already have on his revolvers out to 500+ YARDS! When I heard this, I'm immediately excited, and want to know how he does this. He begins to explain how to properly use my scope! My mindset has always been to zero a scope at a certain yardage, then DON'T TOUCH THE TURRETS!! They might not go back to exactly the same place! Turns out this is a false mindset to have, and I don't know where I picked it up.

Ernie continues by telling my to zero at 100 yards, then turn the brass ring under the turret so that the notch lines up with the zero (See second picture). Then go to 150 yards, and find out what the elevation change is to get a hit with the crosshairs EXACTLY on target, and to note the number on the turret, and write it down. After that, go to 160, then 170, then 180 yards and so on. Always move the crosshairs to hit exactly on target. No holdover is required. Note the numbers on the turret when you get a solid hit at each distance and write them down. Now it is possible to dial up any distance I need to based on the chart I make while at the range, shooting known distances! Just dial the distance, put the crosshairs directly on target, squeeze the trigger, and wait for the gong!

By now, at this point in the conversation, I am so excited I can hardly sit still. I'm still on the phone, but I walk over and grab my 460. I know my zero is 3" high at 100 yards, so I took off the turret cap, and adjusted 12 clicks down! THERE!! That should put me at 100 yards, bullseye. Now, turn the brass ring till the notch matches up with the zero, and I have my 100 yard zero reference point! Now try to contain myself to have a civil conversation with Ernie about the possibilities, and his videos, and holy crap my head is spinning now!!

I finish my call with Ernie, and now I just gotta figure out a way to get out of the rest of my honey-do's so I can get to the range!! I got WORK to do out there! IMPORTANT work!! Maybe if I do my honey-do's quickly, I can do them halfway, and she'll never know I'm gone! But then I'd be in trouble when I get back cause I didn't do a very good job. My final decision: SCREW IT!!! I'll take being in trouble today!!

You guys have NO IDEA how excited I am to apply this new knowledge! I know some of you guys think this is common sense, or perhaps "old hat" type stuff. I'm new to distance shooting, and never was taught the "proper" things about shooting. Kinda had to learn it as I went along. I'm just hoping that someone else might see this at a later date, and realise the scope they have will work just fine! We just have to completely understand how to use the equipment we already have!!

Thanks a million Ernie! Thanks for your time, and for your willingness to help me learn this stuff. You flipped a switch for me today, and opened up a whole new world.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress through this thread. This is a skill I wish I would have had a LONG time ago, but like they say, "Better late than never".

Last edited by raptortrapper; 08/22/2015 10:54 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Raptortrapper] #161919 08/22/2015 10:02 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
You know, there are ballistic programs that allow you to see how high or low your bullet will hit at a given range. One that I know of even tells you how many scope adjustments to make at that range, and shows the bullet drop in 10 yard increments.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Chance Weldon] #161920 08/22/2015 10:18 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
You are welcome.
We all have those moments when it all makes sense.
None of us figured everything out on our own.
We either learn by trial and error or folks teach us or a combo of the two.
I have not shot any of my other revolvers to 500 yards.
Looking forward to your next range report.
FYI-Zee is also very capable at distance and is good at explaining things.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Chance Weldon] #161921 08/22/2015 10:29 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
You know, there are ballistic programs that allow you to see how high or low your bullet will hit at a given range. One that I know of even tells you how many scope adjustments to make at that range, and shows the bullet drop in 10 yard increments.

Ernie mentioned this also. I think it's more fun to go to the range and figure this stuff out on my own. As Ernie mentioned, the programs will get ya close, but ya still need to verify it. I'm not one for sitting still very long anyway, so sitting at a computer, plugging in numbers, doesn't sound NEAR as fun as shooting at the range.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Learning my scope [Re: Raptortrapper] #161922 08/22/2015 10:45 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Also, please take "God" out of the equation when considering me.
Helper, mentor, coach, handgun nut, goof-ball, etc.. are all good.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Ernie] #161923 08/22/2015 10:53 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I hear ya Ernie. I don't use that name lightly by any means. That's why I didn't capatilize it. I meant it in terms of greek mythology type stuff. My dad was a pastor before he retired, and I truly believe there is only one God.

But, as you wish, it shall me "mentor" from now on.

Re: Learning my scope [Re: Raptortrapper] #161924 08/23/2015 12:15 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
 Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf

Ernie mentioned this also. I think it's more fun to go to the range and figure this stuff out on my own. As Ernie mentioned, the programs will get ya close, but ya still need to verify it. I'm not one for sitting still very long anyway, so sitting at a computer, plugging in numbers, doesn't sound NEAR as fun as shooting at the range.

True, but I thought you might not want to do that every ten yards from 100 to 500+. Still, I certainly agree that range time is far more fun than dealing with charts and numbers. Or most other things, really.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Chance Weldon] #161929 08/23/2015 1:29 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I use the ballistic software, knowing it should get me close, then confirm my drops on steel at varying distances.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Ernie] #161931 08/23/2015 1:51 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
I use the ballistic software, knowing it should get me close, then confirm my drops on steel at varying distances.

This.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Zee] #161935 08/23/2015 2:20 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
So what is the bullet weight/BC and the MV of your 460?
Elev?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Ernie] #161942 08/23/2015 3:43 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I am shooting the 300gr XTP MAG, for now. My favorite load, to this point, has been this bullet over 40.5gr of H110. This gives me a velocity of 1948fps. The BC of this bullet is .210 according to the Hornady reloading manual. Elevation here is 5345' on the button. Average temperature lately is 90, but obviously our hunting conditions have temps that are much lower. Usually anywhere between 20 and 45 degrees at an elevation ranging between 9500' and 10,000' at our property in south Colorado.

I say its my favorite load to this point, because I may change it after tomorrow. I am going to try shooting some lighter loads with a 335gr LFNGC over 16gr Titegroup and see what happens. This should put me somewhere around 1375fps according to the Hodgdon website load data. I will also try this bullet over some H110 on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm thinking about switching to the hardcast because from what I've read, the 335gr bullet could be a bit more stable at longer ranges than the 300gr bullet. COULD be, I didn't say it WILL be. Just something I want to try. Besides, I already have 335gr HC bullets that I use in my 45 Colt. If it doesn't shoot well, then no big deal, I'll go back to the XTP MAG bullets.... whenever I can find more....

Re: Learning my scope [Re: Ernie] #161951 08/23/2015 4:19 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Your atmospheric conditions in EXBAL.
Once you confirm the drops in your home conditions, you will modify the software. MV first of all and then BC to match your actual drops.
Once the software matches your actual drops. Then when you are shooting in different conditions, elev, temp., etc.., imput the different conditions and print up a new drop chart for that atmospheric conditions.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Ernie] #161952 08/23/2015 5:28 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
WOW!!! AMAZING!! Thank you!!! I will print this out for sure! Where is that program? Do I download it, or buy it, or what?

Thank you!!!

Re: Learning my scope [Re: Raptortrapper] #161956 08/23/2015 11:47 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
RT,

There are a variety of SmartPhone programs available that can calculate your drops based on your gun variables, atmospheric conditions, etc. As Ernie and Zee commented, the drops get you close and you should confirm your dope on paper/steel.

Strelok, Ballistic AE, Applied Ballistics, Shooter, etc to name a few...or you can get a Kestrel that imports your weather conditions into your Device
\:\)

I use Strelok and Ballistic AE on the Apple devices.

Re: Learning my scope [Re: SChunter] #161961 08/23/2015 12:48 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Learning my scope [Re: Ernie] #161963 08/23/2015 2:30 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Thanks! Bookmarked it!!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod