Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? #163147 09/20/2015 12:14 AM
DJTJR Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Guys I started loading a batch of bullets for my Freedom arms 353 (357 Mag). I set my dies all the same and the first few bullets seated fine I am doing load development so I am building using 296 and 180 nosler partitions. Everything was done the same other than a few extra fractions of a grain of powder as I went up. After the first 4 or so rounds I noticed a bit more pressure seating and after inspecting the rounds the latter actually appeared crimped in in the hollow point bringing the diameter of the hole fairly significantly smaller. All the cases were sized and belled the same. Have you ever experienced this? Is there a way to correct it? I am using RCBS carbide dies and I used the seater that seemed to fit those bullets better (thhe rounded one) but perhaps I have to use the flatter seater stem?
From a profile perspective the bullets actually become more rounded like ball ammo than the more triangular that comes out of the box.
Any thoughts?

NRA Life Member
Re: Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? [Re: DJTJR] #163159 09/20/2015 2:37 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Got a pic? Sounds like the seater is not fitting the nose profile correctly. On a side note...I can tell you from experience; if you try to go over 18.0 gr of H110, with the partition, it'll start buckling your cases. To go above 18.0 gr, you'll have to use a 180 xtp and use the second crimp.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? [Re: DJTJR] #163162 09/20/2015 3:09 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
(thhe rounded one)

Try the other one.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? [Re: s4s4u] #163166 09/20/2015 10:46 AM
Hoggin Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have had this happen with a compressed charge and had to back off the powder

Re: Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? [Re: Hoggin] #163169 09/20/2015 11:52 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Match the seater plug to nose profile of the bullet, round nose, semi wadcutter are the plugs that should have come with the dies.

Re: Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? [Re: racksmasher1] #163171 09/20/2015 1:55 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I ran into this problem loading 300gr Swifts in .44 mag. I tried changing seater plug first to better match the profile of the bullet. Finally I had to drop back on the powder charge. When the bullet seated against the charge and started to compress it, the soft lead in the bullet gave away and the hollow point started to close. I gave up only a few FPS on the chrono by dropping back on the powder charge to where the bullet seated without damage. I tried changing cases to see if the wall thickness difference was causing a loss of capacity. Didn't make a difference. A call to Swift was next since I couldn't reach their published maximum charge of 296. Basically they told me to back off the charge and live with whatever velocity I ended up with.

Shoot straight and often!

Re: Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? [Re: DJTJR] #163177 09/20/2015 4:19 PM
freedom475 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
In addition to changing your seat stem to the flat stem.

One other thing that may help...Seat your bullets in a separate step from the crimp.
I have a large .125" spacer washer that goes under my die...this way I can seat my bullets, and then remove the washer and back-out the seater stem a few turns. And then crimp.

If seating and crimping is done in one step the seater is still seating as the crimp grabs the bullets...this will smash the soft lead nose a little.

Edit:
I also wanted to add...Most 357 are Nickle cases. This nickle thickness will cause an increase in neck tension because your sizer die will squeeze the internal dimensions of your brass down smaller. So it takes more force to seat your bullet.

You can buy brass 357 cases...and this may help.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Because Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Re: Hollow point bullets getting crimped in? [Re: FA834ME] #163207 09/21/2015 12:35 AM
DJTJR Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: FA834ME
I ran into this problem loading 300gr Swifts in .44 mag. I tried changing seater plug first to better match the profile of the bullet. Finally I had to drop back on the powder charge. When the bullet seated against the charge and started to compress it, the soft lead in the bullet gave away and the hollow point started to close. I gave up only a few FPS on the chrono by dropping back on the powder charge to where the bullet seated without damage. I tried changing cases to see if the wall thickness difference was causing a loss of capacity. Didn't make a difference. A call to Swift was next since I couldn't reach their published maximum charge of 296. Basically they told me to back off the charge and live with whatever velocity I ended up with.

Pretty sure this was it. Along with changing the stem to the flat vs round it seemed to help. The brass started off on the short side at 1.282 vs closer to 1.29 where I usually try to trim. While there was still undue pressure I shot it today and it shot well on the second resizing and seating the excess pressure seemed to go away.

Shoot straight and often!

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod