Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
30 Herrett beginner #163151 09/20/2015 1:00 AM
DeerDad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok, I bought the reloading equipment and was bitten by the reloading bug. I wasn't just happy with fire forming 7x30 waters. Now the bug has dug deeper. I have a 30 Herrett barrel, dies, and bullets on the way. What tips do you have for forming the herrett from 30-30 brass.

P.S. I shot my first handgun coyote at 137 yards with my 7x30 waters. My furthest handgun shot to date. Can't wait till I cross the 200 yard mark.

Re: 30 Herrett beginner [Re: DeerDad] #163153 09/20/2015 1:40 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
P.S. I shot my first handgun coyote at 137 yards with my 7x30 waters. My furthest handgun shot to date. Can't wait till I cross the 200 yard mark.

Good show!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: 30 Herrett beginner [Re: DeerDad] #163156 09/20/2015 2:12 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: DeerDad
Ok, I bought the reloading equipment and was bitten by the reloading bug.

You fool! You've no idea what you've gotten yourself into!
;\)

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: 30 Herrett beginner [Re: Chance Weldon] #163226 09/21/2015 11:23 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
The little Herrett is pretty fun! I have one in an MOA and it has shown to be exceptionally accurate. Just like the JDJs, make sure you don't oversize the first firing. You want it to headspace off the shoulder NOT the rim. It will cause head separations if the rim is used as it stretches the remaining case to fill the chamber. I have an old article from Bob Milek I think that explains this as well better than I can that I can email you as well as some load data collected from different sources. I have found it to be exceptional and accurate. I have pretty much settled on the Barnes 110 Tac TX in my gun. Kills quickly and is very accurate with no recoil to speak of. My son will love it someday. Shoot me your email and I'll forward those items to you when I'm back at the computer.

Others slugs I've tried and was happy with are the 125 ballistic tip and the 125 Sierra. Both are cheaper than the Barnes but for hunting, I'm going to stick to the Barnes for the time being. I have a lot of all three so when I have time, I may works with the others as the BT has a great reputation in this round and the 30-30 AI.

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: 30 Herrett beginner [Re: DeerDad] #163310 09/22/2015 11:44 PM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
I agree with Glenn. Milek and Herrett wrung it out completely. I still shoot most of the loads they developed. I have a 10" TC Bull and a BFR (Now EAB) single shot and use 125 Sierra and Nosler Balistic tips, but I use 110 Sierra RN for fire forming.
Its very enjoyable and shoots MOA when I do my part. I really think 1.5-2 MOA is more the norm.
Good luck!

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: 30 Herrett beginner [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #163328 09/23/2015 3:28 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
BH,
Have you tried any of the Barnes Tac TX bullets. It will easily stay under 1" in my gun and runs about 2400 fps. Devastating performance.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/14139/first-deer-moa-herrett-barnes

That's a quick story on the first deer I tried it on last December. Also a pic of a test slug in water jugs. I have continued to buy the bullets because typically when I decide I like one, they quit making it
\:\)

Also, on forming brass deer dad, Harbor freight used to sell a little cut off saw. Miniature little dude that works great for this. Set it a little long then use trimmer to fine tune after the sizing of course.

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: 30 Herrett beginner [Re: GlennS] #163545 09/26/2015 3:41 PM
daywolf Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Another item you may consider, is annealing. I have a custom 22" bbl that I picked up several years ago, and went thru many recipts to get one that worked well with that bbl. I had a problem with cases splitting on the neck..one or two firings and they'd split.This was after reforming from 30-30 win cases. I did some research on anealing, and besides buying a very expensive machine to do the job, I found a simple way to do this. A baking dish..@ 9" square,place the cases in the dish, standing up, and fill it to about two thirds the height of the cases. Take a bottle torch and heat them as equally as you can, get the neck to the heat that just starts to change the color of the brass, then tip them over into the water. This will soften them just to the point that they will not split. This has worked well for me. The machine that I mentioned was @450.00. Custom made for many calibers. Research on the web results in good information on this subject.

Last edited by daywolf; 09/26/2015 3:43 PM.

FREEDOM No words spoken holds greater hope demands greater sacrifice needs more to be loved bless more the giver curse more the destroyer or came closer to being Gods will on earth WORTH FIGHTING FOR!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod