Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
England update and idea... #163578 09/27/2015 11:35 AM
Jim The Brit Offline OP
OP Offline
So, as suspected, no UK handgun hunting for me. Bit of a ballache but I have a plan.

Being an engineer and a little sneaky I'm thinking about a muzzleloading handgun for Africa. The route I'm thinking is percussion, smokeless, pre-rifled full bore bullets and double barrels in .458".
This little combination should get me to 454 Casull energy levels without bother (with proper design) and be 100% legal for targets in the UK and best of all I don't have to stick to the 12" barrel and 24" overall length rule.

Any comments on smokeless in a percussion gun?

Re: England update and idea... [Re: Jim The Brit] #163580 09/27/2015 12:07 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Jim The Brit
So, as suspected, no UK handgun hunting for me. Bit of a ballache but I have a plan.

Being an engineer and a little sneaky I'm thinking about a muzzleloading handgun for Africa. The route I'm thinking is percussion, smokeless, pre-rifled full bore bullets and double barrels in .458".
This little combination should get me to 454 Casull energy levels without bother (with proper design) and be 100% legal for targets in the UK and best of all I don't have to stick to the 12" barrel and 24" overall length rule.

Any comments on smokeless in a percussion gun?

Don't get hung up on energy levels. Energy is calculated, not measurable and a poor indicator of lethality. Just make sure your chosen bullet will achieve sufficient velocity for the bullet's operating range and adequate accuracy and run with it. Sounds like a fun project!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: England update and idea... [Re: Whitworth] #163582 09/27/2015 12:38 PM
Jim The Brit Offline OP
OP Offline
Couldn't agree more regards energy. I was more using it as a general yardstick and comparator.

Since I'll have to use relatively soft cast bullets so I can pre-rifle them I'll be aiming for weight over velocity and with a 1-14" Win Mag barrel it'll stabilise very heavy at low velocities if feel up to it. Realistically 405 grain will be my top end I think.

Re: England update and idea... [Re: Jim The Brit] #163609 09/28/2015 1:53 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Won't that twist be a little fast for a soft lead bullets and shallow rifleing? Savage had a smokeless muzzleloader a few years ago. You may be able to use some of the loads and powders meant for it.Are you going to regulate the barrels to shoot to the same point or put sights on each barrel? Sounds like a fun project.

junebug
Re: England update and idea... [Re: junebug] #163617 09/28/2015 5:41 AM
Jim The Brit Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd likely regulate it so both barrels shoot to the same point but it'll be a nightmare!

You know what, I was thinking the same so have ditched the pre-rifled idea and will just paper patch instead. I may not go 1-14", a little slower would be better but then I lose some of the possibilities for the really heavy stuff.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod