Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Two fer two today with the .250 Savage #10433 10/10/2005 1:33 AM
Larry in SD Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
This morning my daughter phoned and asked if me and the Mrs. wanted to come to their house for supper. Well knowing my daughter is a good cook I couldn't decline. My Son in Law and Daughter live about 30 miles from me, so me and the Mrs. decided to take the scenic route to their house. Besides I thought I could maybe get a shot at the Coyote that gave me the slip on Monday.

At 5:00PM we headed out taking the back roads. About 6 miles into the trip I noticed something up ahead of us in the ditch. As I got closer I could see dirt flying in the air, and all of a sudden it dawned on me, BADGER. I grabbed the .250 Savage SSK Contender and exited the pickup. I got to an angle that I thought would work and just then out of the hole pops Mr. Badger. I settled the SSK Contender on the Shooting Sticks, lined up the crosshairs and touched the trigger. At the shot Mr. Badger slumped back into the hole. The Badger was dead before I got to him, his front legs and head sticking out of the hole. No I didn't drag him out of the hole to inspect the bullet performance, but from the blood I saw I was satisfied the 75gr. Hornady Hollow Point from the .250 Savage had done its job.

We continued on and when we approached the spot where we had seen the Coyote on Monday I told the Mrs. "keep your eyes pealed for Mr. Coyote". I had no more than said it when Bonnie asked "what's that pointing out in the field". That I said is "Mr. Coyote".

I immediately drove the pickup down in the ditch (on the side of the road away from the Coyote) to partually hide the pickup. I then crawled in the bottom of the ditch to a position that put the Coyote straight in front of me (wind blowing left to right). I did about 30 seconds of the best sounds I can make on a Crit-R-Call Mini with no reaction from the Coyote. I was about to start in again when the Coyote started walking my way.

A couple squeaks on a mouse squeaker hurried him up a little, and at roughly 100 yards I barked to stop him. Actually I had to bark 4 or 5 times to get him to stop and when he did was facing me perfectly, the dreaded frontal shot.

About the time I thumbed the hammer back on the SSK Contender he turned broadside. As luck would have it a 75gr. Hornady Hollow Point found his chest before he had a chance to head for other parts of the country. At the shot Mr. Coyote collapsed in a heap. I quickly reloaded and place the SSK Contender back on the shooting sticks with the crosshairs trained on the Coyote.

I needn't have worried as he never moved after the shot. Yes I have had em get up and take off after what I thought was a mortal shot, but not this time. Upon inspection the 75gr. Hornady Hollow Point entered the chest just barely missing the near side shoulder. The exit was about the size of a 25 cent piece and about 3" back from the rear of the off side shoulder (slight quartering angle).

After this I am going to have to start carrying the Digital Camera with me. Today was a grand day. We made our way to my daughters house, had grilled Ribeye's, American Fries (with fried onions in them), salad and cake for desert. If I wouldn't have gotten called out to work at 5:00AM this morning (only getting 1 1/2 hours of sleep) this would have been really close to a perfect day.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: Larry in SD] #10434 10/10/2005 2:25 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
yippeee larry! congratulations what a great day for everyone! you can sleep some other time LOL

that 250 savage is gonna be a keeper fer sure.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: KYODE] #10435 10/10/2005 3:02 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Yeah, with a day like that who needs sleep?!? Congrats!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: Larry in SD] #10436 10/10/2005 3:09 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
Larry, shame on you for not having the digital camara, and congrats on a really great day!

I just cannot imagin WHY you did not drag that badger out of his hole and perform a full autopsy that we might understand bullet performance on him.... hey, if you were a devoted Euell Gibbons fan, with well worn copy of "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" in your vest pocket, you'd have told us how that badger chewed, cooked up in some oven roasted sour cream recipe

Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: SeanVHA60013] #10437 10/10/2005 3:35 PM
Larry in SD Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Quote:

Larry, shame on you for not having the digital camara, and congrats on a really great day!

I just cannot imagin WHY you did not drag that badger out of his hole and perform a full autopsy that we might understand bullet performance on him.... hey, if you were a devoted Euell Gibbons fan, with well worn copy of "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" in your vest pocket, you'd have told us how that badger chewed, cooked up in some oven roasted sour cream recipe

I remember back when I was but a wee lad the day my Dad shot a Badger in our farm yard. Dad thought Mr. Badger was DEAD, and went to pick him up to toss him in the pasture. Well Mr. Bdger was NOT DEAD, and dear old Dad got the surprise of his life. Yep Dad won the fight, but it could have went either way for a while. Yep I learned long ago that Badgers had a really bad attitude, even on a good day.

As per the cooking and tasting, I have a tough enough time getting the wife to cook any wild game other than Venison or Pheasant these days. Never marry a city girl if you expect her to cook wild game.

Thanks

Larry

Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: Larry in SD] #10438 10/10/2005 4:45 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Larry, sounds like you had a great day,
but around here If i did that I would be put be hind bars. The Police and Game warders do not take to kindly to "road hunting" We can not shoot from or accrosed any public street. and then I would be charged with truspassing (splling)as well

Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: RickyP] #10439 10/10/2005 7:12 PM
Larry in SD Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Quote:

Larry, sounds like you had a great day,
but around here If i did that I would be put be hind bars. The Police and Game warders do not take to kindly to "road hunting" We can not shoot from or accrosed any public street. and then I would be charged with truspassing (splling)as well

Actually South Dakota State Law is quite nice for Hunting / Shooting Varmints / Predators. We can not only shoot from or across a road for Varmints or PRedators (with permission from the adjoining property owners of course), but we can actually shoot from the vehicle LEGALLY. As per the Tresspassing thing, I grew up in this small farming community, am the Chief of Police here in town and know most all of the area farmers and do have permission to hunt varmints and predators on most of their property.

Yep when it comes to Varmints or Predators I am kind of in Gods Country so to speak.

Larry

Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: Larry in SD] #10440 10/10/2005 9:05 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
well congratulations larry. that sounds like just about a perfect day to me as well. targets of opportunity like that really get me excited and two in one day....wow! betcha will make up for the sleep loss tonight huh!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: Two fer two today with the .250 Savage [Re: Larry in SD] #10441 10/10/2005 10:46 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
sounds like you got it made,
I live in the peoples repuck of maryland.
we have little goor hunting laws.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod