Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Couple questions from a Novice Handgunner #165278 10/28/2015 9:27 PM
RandyB Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I have been handloading for a lot of years for rifles and semi-autos. I have SBH in 45 Colt that I am learning to shoot...the shift from autos and double actions is significant, but I'm finally finding the grip that works for me.

Currently I'm shooting 250gr RNFP Laser Cast Bullets at about 900fps to learn the gun. I have loaded some 260 SWC at about 1000 and Linebaugh's load at about 1300 just to try them.

Question: using cast bullets, can load data be used across bullets weights? For example, can I safely use the data from my 250 grainers with a 255 or 260gr bullet? Or the other way around?

Second question: I'm drawn to the new Ruger Toklat; are the Ruger rings repeatable enough to remove and remount optics without drastic change in POI?

Thanks for your input.

Re: A Couple questions from a Novice Handgunner [Re: RandyB] #165290 10/29/2015 12:40 AM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Randy,

First, welcome aboard.

I'll start the ball rolling on the reloading question.

Generally, the theory is that lead develops less pressure than jacketed for a given velocity, due to the lead getting through the barrel easier. So using jacketed data to reload lead is generally on the safer side. Going the other way, well I would say depends.

The closer you are to max book loads for any recipe, the more I would worry about interchanging data. But one should never be jumping to max loads without working up, so if laddering loads, this should not be a concern. I would also be a little more apprehensive if using extremely fast powders. And I would also keep an eye on the length of the bullets you are interchanging, if one is substancially longer from the crimp groove to the base. The more you crowd the powder space, the higher pressures will be for a given charge.

I am actually sorting this exact situation currently with my 454 using a new to me barnes 250 grain XPB bullet. When looking at Hodgdon's data, the Barnes XPB data is definitely using less powder as compared to another traditional jacket/lead core 250 grain bullet, for a given pressure. Surely it is a combination of length of bearing surface, material and case capacity.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: A Couple questions from a Novice Handgunner [Re: Bearbait in NM] #165316 10/29/2015 4:02 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
You can use 250 data to load LIGHTER bullets, but not heavier( but 10 gr. won't matter). Loading heavier bullets will increase pressure.
I have a SuperRedhawk with rings. When I put my scope back on, it's close, but never right on. Would work on 50 yard or so shots, but would not trust for 100Yd.+.

Re: A Couple questions from a Novice Handgunner [Re: RandyB] #165337 10/29/2015 6:47 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If one is not pushing the envelope a 10 grain difference in lead bullets of similar composition isn't a big deal, but it is always a good idea to start low and work up.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 55 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod