Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Almost that time!! #165912 11/13/2015 4:30 PM
Glock10mm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Tomorrow is opening day of Modern Gun here in Arkansas! I'll be on the stand with my Glock 20 stuffed full of 180gr XTP's loaded by Underwood (only until I get a set of dies). Been waiting since getting the pistol in June! Went last weekend and shot for a while, I'm confident out to 30 yards, and I might could talk myself into a 40yd shot if I had to.

The weather is lining up to be a good weekend! Getting cold and clearing up, they should be chasing!

Wish me luck in search of my first hand gun kill!

Re: Almost that time!! [Re: Glock10mm] #165915 11/13/2015 5:09 PM
Spencer Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
good luck and keep us posted

NRA life member
Let's go make some memories
Re: Almost that time!! [Re: Glock10mm] #165917 11/13/2015 5:36 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Wish me luck in search of my first hand gun kill!

Good luck to ya!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Almost that time!! [Re: s4s4u] #165918 11/13/2015 6:39 PM
Glock10mm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks y'all! If anybody has any tips for a first timer, lemme hear em.

Re: Almost that time!! [Re: Glock10mm] #165920 11/13/2015 7:50 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Glock10mm
Thanks y'all! If anybody has any tips for a first timer, lemme hear em.

Don't miss.
;\)

Seriously though, good luck!

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Almost that time!! [Re: Chance Weldon] #165922 11/13/2015 8:28 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Good Luck. Our modern gun season does not open until next Saturday so tomorrow I will be hunting with my CVA Optima V2 pistol.

As far as advice be patient and take your time on the shot.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Almost that time!! [Re: REDHAWK1954] #165928 11/14/2015 12:12 AM
PsTaN Offline
addict
addict
Best of luck to you. I took a buck with my 20 last year at 25 yards ... It'll do the job nicely.

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"
Re: Almost that time!! [Re: PsTaN] #165930 11/14/2015 12:33 AM
jaydub in wi Offline
good luck to you. I have to wait another week

Re: Almost that time!! [Re: jaydub in wi] #165971 11/15/2015 10:52 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Pick A SPOT,align the sights, keep your head down,squeeze the trigger, make the shot, follow thru, [then look ]
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by junebug; 11/15/2015 10:52 PM.

junebug
Re: Almost that time!! [Re: junebug] #166040 11/16/2015 9:17 PM
Glock10mm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well guys, we had a blast over the weekend, but no pistol shots! I have a heartbreaker story though, which always makes things interesting...

Saturday morning, in theory/on paper, should have been the perfect morning. The bucks have been chasing hard, it got down to 35 degrees(about 15deg colder than it has been getting at night) Friday night, it cleared up crystal clear, very light wind, everything was textbook. I was up early going through what was sure to unfold in the following hours-getting a perfect shot on a good meat deer, whether it had horns or not.

As we all know, things don't always go like they SHOULD in the woods. Despite near perfect weather conditions, there was no activity at all on Saturday morning. Being opening morning there should've been 20+ shots w/in earshot, I heard 7. Slow for everybody I guess. Went back to the same stand that evening..Actually let me take a moment to describe my stand area.

I'm hunting in a small oak flat that borders up to a swamp on one side. Hogs constantly come out of that nasty swamp up in to the hardwoods where I am hunting in search of acorns, and in search of my corn as well... So there was the added possibility of getting a shot at a hog. The acorns are dropping really good right now, we were fortunate enough to have a great crop. This is one of our best spots. The downside is, hunting in open woods like this there is the potential for a longer (200yds in the right situation) shot. I had my trusty ol 260 Rem with me just as insurance in case one was wayy out there. Back to the story..

Saturday Eve I returned to the same location early in the day, figuring I could kill the day there. As it started to get later in to the evening I caught movement about 90 yards out in front of me and off to the right. A good sized doe was feeding on acorns and slowly working her was towards me. I decided to let her work up close enough and try to get a shot with the Glock. about 40 minutes in to this painstakingly long process, she finally closed the distance to about 30 yards; it seemed to be as close as the was coming. I had raised my 10mm and taken a solid rest on the side of my stand, lined it up, taken the slack out of the trigger (you Glock shooters know what I'm talking about), all I needed was for her to take the ONE MORE step necessary to reveal her front shoulders as she was standing behind a large white oak tree. She had been behind the tree for 3 or 4 minutes with me waiting on that one more step when she began looking out behind her.. She started to get nervous. Eventually, and without giving me a shot, she threw her flag up and took off running. Confused I looked out the direction that she was looking and saw that there was a good buck chasing a doe and they were coming right at me! They were about 150 yards out, so I grabbed the 260. Got a rest, and the next thing I saw was that the doe had turned and was now heading left to right across the flat and quickly out of sight. The buck was in close tow behind her.

So I had a good buck ruin my hunt, ever hear that before???

He chased her on off, and the doe I'd been waiting on was gone as well! Sounds to me like I got screwed, haha.

I'm just glad that I held off waiting on a perfect shot, otherwise I might have been chasing a wounded deer around all weekend.

Such is hunting though-that's why we love it!

I'll get one soon enough with the 10mm.

Re: Almost that time!! [Re: Glock10mm] #166054 11/17/2015 12:59 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
That's definitely the right attitude. Hang in there and it will happen.

junebug
Re: Almost that time!! [Re: junebug] #167078 12/06/2015 3:07 AM
Glock10mm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well guys.. Had an awesome hunt yesterday morning. Yet again, not successful, but this time was even closer than the last. I'm going to get there!

Here goes nothing....

My stand location goes somewhat like this; back corner of our property line, we have 80 acres if mixed hardwoods/primarily pine thickets. Doesn't sound great on paper, but this place is a haven due to how thick it is. They retreat here from surrounding properties, the owners of which run dogs all season. In the back corner of our property we have a box stand set up looking approx 400, maybe 430 yards. The lane is the divider between the mixed hardwoods and a 5 year old clear cut which was immediately planted back in pines. It's super thick.

Being as long of a shot potential as there is ther I had the Rem 700 Sendero in 7 mag. I always have my G20 on me when I'm in the woods. This time out I was not, in the least, expecting to have a shot opportunity with it. It was simply there.

This was supposed to be a slip in there, kill a doe in the first hour of daylight, and be back at home processing it quickly. We haven't been on this piece of land since bow season. Being late season here I loaded the lane up with corn Wednesday and planned to hunt Friday morning.
Come daylight I'm sitting tight in the stand waiting for the gimme. No action whatsoever until about 7:50. I thought I was hearing footsteps behind me, but I had just seen a squirrel run right to that area so I justfully assumed that it was the squirrel I was hearing. After 5 or so minutes of the footsteps continuing I started to easily turn back to look. Just in the outskirts of my vision I could make out the shape of a deer. I froze, as he was meandering my way. I could make out that he had horns I just couldn't tell how big. Keep in mind that this was a COMPLETELY unexpected encounter that was not at ALL planned for. He eased on up the left side of my stand (which was extremely fortunate since it was the only side of my stand w/o siding so I could shoot under the railing..necessary because he was so close). Here is when I got a glimpse at him. He was an OLD, BIG deer. Tank of a body, terrible horns. A really big 5 point, bad horns, trash on the bases. He needed to be taken out. He was just in the edge of the thick clearcut and stayed there, about 20 yards, for a long while. Never had a clear shot. My only way to shoot was totally free hand and unsupported. Not ideal. He finally moved but was walking away and in to the clearcut. I whistled and he turned slightly and stopped. All I had was a hole in the brush large enough to see the shoulder and slightly behind it. It was a rushed shot but I got one off and he looked hit hard. I threw one more at him while he was running off but I'm certain that one didn't touch him. I felt very confident in the scenario and climbed down relatively quickly. Gave it maybe 10 minutes before I got down. As I got near where he was standing I saw white hair. And more. And more. I followed a white hair trail for 25 yards and that was it. No blood, no nothing. I've chalked it up to a low shot that just gave him a buzz cut and scared him. Next time maybe I will be anticipating the shot, and be in a situation to rest. In all truthfulness, I probably should've made the shot with no worries. Just rushed it in the excitement.

I'll keep at it! I haven't been able to hunt as much as I would like, so no other opportunities. Maybe in the morning. I'll be back in the same spot.

Anyone else doing any good?

Re: Almost that time!! [Re: Glock10mm] #167083 12/06/2015 12:45 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Good luck to you. I have rushed shots with the same result. It never pays to rush your shot.

Michael Joe Moore

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod