Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Caribou hunters #10544 10/14/2005 12:10 AM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
i buddy o mine recently went waaaay up north to alaska. somewhere close to the bering strait, i think they were flown in and dropped off to be picked up a few days later.

he ended up with a fairly nice bull, and 2 other hunters in the party had "misses".........one a monster bull.

i figgered out by his details of the trip.... that stuff ain't fer me

they endured 2 complete days of the trip, inside the tents....soaking wet the whole time, because of torential rains etc. no way at all to keep ANYTHING dry the whole time. the cairibou were not folowing normal patterns and they had to trek several miles from camp to find them. hmmmmm......just now thought looks like the outfitter would know that
my buddy brought out a couple pics, a lil bit of meat, n a set of horns to show for the deal.

anyway........i don't know if even a "world record bull" caribou would be worth ALL THAT FUN.........ewwwwwww

i'll now know to dream of other hunts

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Caribou hunters [Re: KYODE] #10545 10/14/2005 12:53 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well Kyode you just described a "not out of the ordinary" hunt in Alaska. The early part of my moose season bow hunting I was camped out & had bugs that I literally wouldn't have endured without my ThermaCell, & temps in the mid 80s with hunting light from 5am to 11+pm. So stinking hot you couldn't even nap in the afternoons to try & make up for the short nights.
Toward the end of the season it cooled off & were were getting an average(my guess mind you) of probably close to 4"of rain per week the last two weeks. Thankfully I was driving out each day then. Never did cool off enough to frost & get the bulls thinking about girls.
We are a land of extreems with a few really nice days in between.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Caribou hunters [Re: KYODE] #10546 10/14/2005 4:09 AM
tx44hunter Offline
Kyode I couldn't agree with you more. I believe living a little primitive and rough can add to the fun of a hunt. But roughing it that much can't be fun or more importantly very productive.

Re: Caribou hunters [Re: tx44hunter] #10547 10/14/2005 8:10 AM
jb HHI 7241 Offline
agreed, lots of research before setting out on a trip like that.
But, the meat is some of the best I've ever tasted. Must be the stuff they eat, cause it sure was tasty!!!

Jeff

Re: Caribou hunters [Re: jb HHI 7241] #10548 10/26/2005 6:46 AM
DwarvenChef Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi guys /wave (yes I'm here as well hehe), AK hunting is an experience I wish I can get back to soon. After 8 years there I'm hooked. Moose in Fairbanks was nice but got tricky in the brush. Hunting 'Buuu was alot easier, and oh sooo tastey. I'm back up there the first chance I get, and not leaving NO MO'.

===========
T/C Addict
Re: Caribou hunters [Re: KYODE] #10549 10/27/2005 8:49 PM
RobR Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Try a solo caribou trip in a walk in only area in 80 degrees, and have to pack out 142#s of boned out meat, 50# of rack and skull and 50# of gear for 7 miles up and over 2000 feet and sidehilling for about half the way. Break your pack frame in a fall trying to gat the antlers through the alders. Being bitten by three kinds of flies (i.e. black flies, red flies and whitesocks). That is a caribou hunt in the Kenai Mountains.

Or maybe 12 straight days of rain; winds so strong it blows the water to the other side of the lake/swamp leaving the shoreline a half mile from where you parked your boat; brown bears coming into camp at night trying to get your meat. That is moose hunting on Alaska's lost coast, southeast of Cordova.

Or maybe 100 mile an hour winds after two days of rain stuck in your tent. Wind gusts so strong they roll your tent with you in it, in the dark. That can be a sheep hunt in the Chugach.

Or winds so strong for so long that your boat trip back to the harbor in the nicest weather in 10 days is in 20 feet seas for almost 8 hours. Deer hunting in December in Kodiak.

Been there in all those instances. Hunting in Alaska is a thing of extremes. You must be prepared. Sounds like your friends had it easy to me.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod