Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
revolver cleaning #166939 12/01/2015 8:22 PM
mikefrompa Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I took my BFR revolver to the range and the firing pin would not make full contact with the primer. It only made a ding on it. I cleaned the action with Break Free and it went bang. Is there a better cleaner then this? I think it is more of a lube then any cleaner. Any suggestions?

Re: revolver cleaning [Re: mikefrompa] #166942 12/02/2015 12:08 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I use Sweets 7.62, but ONLY on stainless guns. It will take the bluing right off anything else. And I don't let it get on the wood at all either. But if it's just gotta be clean, that Sweets 7.62 is good stuff.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: revolver cleaning [Re: Raptortrapper] #166948 12/02/2015 1:33 AM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Mike,

I do not lubricate the firing pin on any of my revolvers. Maybe I am just odd here. But, I do try and clean them at times, depending. If I am trying to get crud out of a place where I do not want oil or lubrication, I might use brake cleaner or something like that that will evaporate.

Lately, I have been using Bore Tech Eliminator on most of my guns, on the barrel interior, and all other places. I use it on 1911 firing pins as needed, and I know it has gotten into my revolver firing pin channels when cleaning them. I usually just work the firing pin in and out, with a small punch. It dries without lubing, as the CLP would do. I like CLP, but usually only use it in my range bag, for cleaning & rough lubrication in the field. Once home, the gun gets the better treatment.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: revolver cleaning [Re: Bearbait in NM] #166951 12/02/2015 9:08 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Be very careful with Sweets 7.62. Its main ingredient is ammonia in aqueous solution. It is primarily designed to dissolve copper fouling out of barrels, which it does very effectively. However, will cause corrosion in steel if left too long. ps don't get it near your eyes or your brass - not good for either.

Hoppes is great for general revolver crud including lead residue. I also use brake cleaner for cleaning carbon and grease from around the firing pin etc.

Re: revolver cleaning [Re: Walkingthemup] #166967 12/02/2015 5:25 PM
FAH Offline
I called Freedom Arms and asked the Tech there, he basically said take the grips off and remove the cylinder. Spray the action and firing pin area with break cleaner then let 'er dry or blow with an air compressor. (Clean the barrel and cylinder as usual). Lube with a drop of heavy weight Mobil one oil on both sides of the base of hammer.
Put some grease on the front of the cylinder pin hole, let some get in the hole, and put it all back together. Work the action a half dozen times and you're good to go.

Practice Perfect
FAH

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod