Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some research information #167434 12/12/2015 9:34 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I have always loved a 1911, and carried the 45acp for protection a lot. I never considered it a hunting caliber. But in the last couple of years a few people I know have done a little hunting and testing but not anything extensive. So I thought I'd find out the possibilities. If you get your information off the internet, about 85% or more talk it up as a defensive weapon, but say it's an extremely poor choice for hunting.

So I studied the ballistics, done some shooting and set parameters. Only non alert critters, maximum range 40 yards, only broadside shots,which got changed after viewing performance. I had a few more self imposed limits but that were mine and didn't affect the results except it allowed a lot of critters to walk. One such limit was no shots after sunset. I got glasses this year and they have been a pain in my backside and hurt my confidence for a while, but I'm getting over it.

I tried a few different factory offerings of the 230 class and went with Hornady230+p xtp as they worked the best, with my at the moment fixed style sights. Two inch groups the norm opening up a little at 50.

Coyote was the first candidate to donate for research but unfortunately water and disposable cameras don't mix.

Candidate number two was an approximately 80# doe, through and through, twenty yard dash and into the freezer. Unfortunately it was photographed with above disposable as well.

Candidate three was a six point weighing 140#, hit in the only place he provided the neck. The pojectIle smashed two vertebrae and continued to beyond as it was not recovered. The candidate can be viewed on the bragging board.

That's all for now as I am awaiting new candidates as I type this. To be cont.....

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Some research information [Re: cottonstalk] #167437 12/12/2015 10:12 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Candidate was a little small so I'll continue. Number four was at a friend's farm and willing to help. Want to get laughed almost out of hunting camp? Show up with just a 45acp. These friend's know I'm a handgunner but they said that was just too much. Ten yard shot, through both lungs and a twenty five yard dash and it was done. She's the big doe hanging from the rafters by her head on the bragging board.

Number five was taken with a newly acquired Ruger p345. It feels good, and maybe my better halfs new defensive tool. The candidate arrived early gave me an easy 17 yard shot, so I put it in the whit patch, bang, flop, no recovery of projectile.

Now let me interject something here. I am not a huge CSI guy like some of the others around this site. I do a few autopsies but once I get the impression that the bullet is doing its job, my research in that area is over. At this point in my research every bullet had exited.

Number six was a mercy dispatch. She's on the bragging board with the 1911 laying on her. Look at her front legs and notice the big knot. Facing you left leg was 3 1/2" shorter than the other. Bullet struck front left shoulder and stopped under the hide in front of her right ham. Twenty yard dash and it was done. Her bullet was recovered and is on another post. The bullet damage can be seen on the bragging board.

It is my opinion that the 45acp is more than up to the task if the shooter is up to it. More research is being done and results will continue to be posted, thanks for reading.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Some research information [Re: cottonstalk] #167438 12/13/2015 12:40 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Got me wanting to break out the 1911...good stuff.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Some research information [Re: KRal] #167441 12/13/2015 3:09 AM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
I love the 1911. My reason for using it when I did was I always had it with me. But the Glock 21 was amazing. Give one a try one day if you have a chance. The accuracy is crazy good!

I'm with KRAL, I need to dig mine out and use it soon
;\)

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Some research information [Re: GlennS] #167447 12/13/2015 6:45 AM
SEAK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ruger 45acp worked here,I think there were five or six hits.
http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_new...98d457d948.html

Enjoying to circle of life
Re: Some research information [Re: SEAK] #167449 12/13/2015 1:47 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Wow! Thanks seak. While not my first choice if hiking Alaska it does make you think.

Re: Some research information [Re: cottonstalk] #167453 12/13/2015 2:32 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
thanks one more reason to kick my self for selling my 1917S&W

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Some research information [Re: bluecow] #167461 12/13/2015 7:44 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
great stuff cotton,,,

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Some research information [Re: jamesfromjersey] #167477 12/14/2015 1:48 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I've taken a few more critters in the name of research and I'll share that at the end of the year.

Right now all research has been with either a Ruger P345 or the Auto-Ordnance 1911. They each have their pros and cons but are over all good pieces. There are more expensive and fancy ones but the two I have are accurate and have performed flawlessly.

Re: Some research information [Re: cottonstalk] #167480 12/14/2015 2:29 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Those poor critters, donating their lives to science
;\)

Congratulations on some fantastic shooting and research work!

IIRC - I have some 230 +P's around here for the 1911
\:\)

Re: Some research information [Re: SChunter] #167541 12/15/2015 11:23 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Great stuff. I have used the super and .460 Rowland a lot. recently I loaded some 230gr XTPs after reading about some more Rowland shooters using it. I thought it would be too soft but even at 1400fps from the Rowland it hung together in the ballistic buff.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Some research information [Re: reflex264] #167906 12/28/2015 2:44 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Well our seasons are almost done, I have plenty of meat put up and it has been a good year despite the weather. Here is my conclusions on the 45acp as a hunting caliber.

If waiting for a broadside shot, and limiting your ranges appeals to you, for white-tails and close in bear encounters the 45acp will do the job if you do yours.

Blood trails on broadside deer were acceptable and angling shots not so much, but I heard these go down. I tried to track backwards on these and was unsuccessful.

The 230+p ammo by Hornady is a great product and done everything I asked of it and then some.

A 44 magnum or 45 colt, it is not. Can it be used successfully as a hunting tool? Absolutely, if parameters are set and followed. Would I carry one for protection in the lower 48? With no worries whatsoever. Average penetration was 16+". Take into account, most research shots were broadside and that's why the number went down. I love the 1911 and it will see more time in the timber. I have proven, I feel, that in capable hands it will do the job.

Re: Some research information [Re: cottonstalk] #167932 12/28/2015 11:31 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yes you have!

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Some research information [Re: REDHAWK1954] #167946 12/29/2015 2:51 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Cotton,

Good job, and thanks for your time and thoughts doing this.

I think most of us know what happens on many gun forums when the subject of handgun hunting comes up. "Gotta be a 41 mag or better...." or the ones I like, posts asking about shooting 150-300 pound black bears always morph into self defense about grizzlies.

Many folks cannot handle the recoil of the bigger guns, or perhaps have a really hard time learning to shoot them well. Do we tell these folks that if you cannot learn to handle the recoil or develop the skills necessary to shoot a single or double action revolver that they should just pick up a rifle?

I think you point to an important concept, that of commitment. Either commit yourself to time and effort needed to "use a bigger gun", or commit to working within the limitations of the platform that you wish to use. Personally, I think either way meets my definition of the proper ethics that these critters deserve.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod