Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eagle Grips for the Toklat. #167503 12/15/2015 3:35 AM
Zee Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Not a fan of the Hogue Rubber Grios that come on the Ruger Super Redhawks. While able to tame recoil with soft rubber, they pale in comparison to wood and the finger grooves do not afford me a comfortable grip on the gun. So, last week I ordered a set of smooth Eagle Grips.

They arrived today and I installed them immediately.

Vast improvement in the looks department as far as I'm concerned. But, beyond looks, they are considerably more comfortable to grip and fit my hand noticeably better. A win all round in my book.

Decided to head to the range and try them out. Getting a velocity for the gun in the process. After setting up the chronograph, I saddled up behind it and fired off a round.

Two things I immediately noticed. One was the comfort and control afforded by the grip inspite of the harder wood as opposed to rubber. Second, was the piece of wood that fell on the bench. Interestingly.........it matched the exact wood of the grip.

Seems there was too much room in the inletting and the grips stayed put in my hand while the gun moved rearward in recoil. Causing the trigger guard to contact the undercut of the grip. Cracking one panel and breaking off a chunk of the other.

Well, that sucked!

Good news is that I immediately called Eagle Grips and spoke to a man named Bill. He apologized for the incident and told me to return them for a replacement set. Free of charge.

So, as much as I dislike the fact they broke, I'm glad Eagle stands by their product.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Eagle Grips for the Toklat. [Re: Zee] #167508 12/15/2015 4:39 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
They look good. Hopefully the replacement set won't break.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Eagle Grips for the Toklat. [Re: Chance Weldon] #167513 12/15/2015 8:28 AM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Thanks for the report. I have the same issue with my SRH. The Hogue rubber grips just don't fit my hand. Have long thought about wooden grips but held off due to the recoil issue.

Keep us posted on how the replacement grips hold up. Big kudos to Eagle Grips customer service for the positive way they responded.

Re: Eagle Grips for the Toklat. [Re: Walkingthemup] #167536 12/15/2015 9:46 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Too bad about the wood splitting....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Eagle Grips for the Toklat. [Re: jamesfromjersey] #167551 12/16/2015 2:51 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Try some of the Pachmayr decelarator grips on your Super RedHawk. They are smaller in size that the Hogues and work well,
but are still not pretty like wood. I have Eagle grips on a Bisley .45. They required fitting but are holding up well.

junebug
Re: Eagle Grips for the Toklat. [Re: junebug] #167567 12/16/2015 4:59 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
I got a set of these to try a couple weeks ago. An improvement but still not as comfortable as my custom N-frame stocks from Herrett's and Culina. Might end up sending mine to Herrett's to be fitted with Ropers. They actually glass bed them to the grip stud.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod