Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Never thought I'd say this, but.... #168172 01/06/2016 3:24 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
The Brute Squad is up for sale. I know, I know. I can't believe it either. But I never shoot it anymore, and I don't keep Safe Queens. If I don't use a gun, I send it down the road and replace it with something else. It will include all the dies, brass, bullets, holster, all of it.

Never thought I'd be selling one of my customs, but I just don't like it sitting there and not getting used. I'd rather put the money into another rebuild, and get my 327 Federal done for small game hunting next season. I'll use it for sure. The 500JRH has been a riot, but I gotta send it on to someone who will use it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to just give it away, but it is up for sale.

Last edited by Raptortrapper; 01/06/2016 3:28 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Raptortrapper] #168179 01/06/2016 11:05 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If anything larger than whitetail is on the menu, you will be much better served by the .500 JRH than the .45 Colt. The .45 Colt will get it done, but the .500 will get it done better -- period. I think you should hang on to it, personally. I shoot my smaller calibers more frequently, but I always have a .500 something on standby for the really heavy lifting.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Whitworth] #168185 01/06/2016 3:33 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Yeah, I may end up hanging on to it. I'm for sure not gonna give it away, and it won't break my heart if nobody is interested. May just have to get over the fact that it doesn't get much use.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Whitworth] #168186 01/06/2016 3:36 PM
TGC Offline
Whit's right. We need to hold on to our guns in this political eviro. Don't know what it will cost you to get it back. Let your whim run it's course. just my .02.

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: TGC] #168187 01/06/2016 4:58 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I know I do not have the collection of handguns many people on this site do but what I have I plan to keep for the reasons stated above.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: REDHAWK1954] #168190 01/06/2016 6:07 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I will post this elsewhere for a while, and see if there are any takers. If not, it stays with me.

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: REDHAWK1954] #168192 01/06/2016 11:29 PM
TGC Offline
 Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954
I know I do not have the collection of handguns many people on this site

A BIG AMEN TO THAT!! Me either.

And Raptor, that is a very nice .500 you have there. Hope you can keep it. I don't think you intended on shooting a .500 much anyway.

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: TGC] #168194 01/07/2016 2:28 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I shot it all the time, till I got the 45 Colt. I put several hundred rounds through it before it got the new octagon barrel. I enjoy shooting it, but just don't shoot it much anymore. It won't hurt my feelings to keep it, but thought there might be someone out there itching to own one.

Guess not!

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Raptortrapper] #168202 01/07/2016 10:50 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
What do you intend to hunt with your .45?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Raptortrapper] #168203 01/07/2016 11:04 AM
dhom Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
I shot it all the time, till I got the 45 Colt. I put several hundred rounds through it before it got the new octagon barrel. I enjoy shooting it, but just don't shoot it much anymore. It won't hurt my feelings to keep it, but thought there might be someone out there itching to own one.

Guess not!
I can not own [financially] all the handguns I want to have. My big one is a BFR Jack Huntington adjusted to me. [475 Linebaugh] It doesn't get shot as much as the lesser calibers. When I do take it out it reminds me of why I got it. The revolver is a joy because of the fit and accurate as can be. { Kind of like an old friend and they don't make them anymore]

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Whitworth] #168207 01/08/2016 3:03 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
What do you intend to hunt with your .45?

95% or more will be deer, black bear, and elk here in Colorado. Maybe the occasional speed goat. As you know, all of those are well within the realm of 45 Colt. Those critters are the only big game I hunt. Rest is small game, and that's where the 327 Federal will come in, or Anaya.

Last edited by Raptortrapper; 01/08/2016 3:05 AM.

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: dhom] #168208 01/08/2016 3:08 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: dhom

Guess not!
I can not own [financially] all the handguns I want to have. My big one is a BFR Jack Huntington adjusted to me. [475 Linebaugh] It doesn't get shot as much as the lesser calibers. When I do take it out it reminds me of why I got it. The revolver is a joy because of the fit and accurate as can be. { Kind of like an old friend and they don't make them anymore]

Yeah, guys, don't get me wrong. I never said I didn't like the 500JRH. That isn't it at all. I've never had two finer revolvers than the 45 Colt and the 500JRH that were built by Jack. Not one thing about that 500JRH makes me wish I'd never done it. It's a riot, and I enjoy shooting it. I just don't shoot it that much. Like I said, it won't hurt my feelings to keep it.

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Whitworth] #168210 01/08/2016 5:22 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
If anything larger than whitetail is on the menu, you will be much better served by the .500 JRH than the .45 Colt. The .45 Colt will get it done, but the .500 will get it done better -- period. I think you should hang on to it, personally. ................................

Exactly. If you are truly serious about elk then keep the .500.

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Gregg Richter] #168211 01/08/2016 6:05 AM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
I know you what you guys are saying. A .500 JRH, Linbaugh, Smith and Wesson, or whatever will put a bigger hole in an elk than a 45 Colt. Believe me, I get it. But I've taken plenty of elk with an arrow. I'm not worried about it.

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Raptortrapper] #168212 01/08/2016 12:36 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I know you what you guys are saying. A .500 JRH, Linbaugh, Smith and Wesson, or whatever will put a bigger hole in an elk than a 45 Colt. Believe me, I get it. But I've taken plenty of elk with an arrow. I'm not worried about it.

I'm not saying you haven't, but the .500 works decisively better on big critters (bigger than deer) than the .45. If you ever decide to use a handgun on anything bigger than elk, you will be very well served by the .500. I would keep it. You will regret selling it at some point if you do. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Never thought I'd say this, but.... [Re: Whitworth] #168215 01/08/2016 5:41 PM
Raptortrapper Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
Yeah thanks for the opinion. Don't think I'd use the word regret in its truest form as there isn't much I regret. I did get rid of a 460 smith and wesson revolver, then bought another one in a different format. I'f I do end up selling this 500JRH, and decide I want it back, I can always get another one. And yes, there would be things I would do different on the next one. Brushed stainless instead of polished would be one example.

I don't see myself hunting anything bigger than elk anytime in the near future. I am not one to pay a lot of money to go to Alaska for brown bears, or to Africa for elephants. Nothing wrong with those who do that, but anything bigger than elk just isn't my cup of tea. Might do it someday if I win the lottery, or come across a "jackpot" in life. I have a lot of hobbies, and spending the kind of money it takes to go get bigger animals than elk just isn't a major interest for me. Yeah, it'd be fun, but I'll still die happy if those hunts never happen.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of my guns, I'm a member of the NRA, I carry my 1911 every time I leave the house. I love to go to the range and burn up a bunch of reloads all in the name of "research". But I'm not an extreme gun nut like some of you, and to let go of one, and get another doesn't bother me in the least.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod