Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I messed up. #168234 01/09/2016 7:11 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
After Christmas, the weather finally let up, and I went hunting again. Long story short, I wounded a buck. He wasn't the biggest buck I've ever seen, but he certainly wasn't the smallest. I waited until he got to within 50 yards then drew my revolver, lined up the sights, and slowly squeezed the trigger. He immediately ran off, his tail tucked - and ran, and ran, and ran. I raised my 300 Encore to get a look at him through the scope as he turned slightly. My heart sank when I realized I had hit him too low. He vanished into the woods before I could attempt a shot with the Encore to put him down. Thinking back, I realize now that as I shot, I unintentionally let the front sight fall a bit low on him.

There was a remarkable blood trail at first, but as I approached the woods, I could see him run off. Once I reached the spot where I had last seen him, the blood trail ended. I searched for a long time, but couldn't find any sign of blood or a downed deer.

Before I even attempt to shoot a deer with an open sighted revolver again, I'm going to put in a heck of a lot more practice. In my attempt to become proficient with my Encore, I began to neglect practice sessions with my 460. I probably should have practiced during the season, too, but I didn't. That won't happen again.

You want to know the real kicker? Just about five minutes before that buck appeared, a much bigger one walked out at about 90 yards - far outside of my revolver range, but well within my 300 Encore's reach. Since I already had an Encore kill this season, I let him pass. Had I decided to shoot him, it would have been an easy shot and, based on past experience, a short tracking job.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: I messed up. [Re: Chance Weldon] #168235 01/09/2016 7:12 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
P.S. I haven't been on in a while due to internet provider issues, plus we don't get a good cell phone signal at my house. The only downside to living in the country.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: I messed up. [Re: Chance Weldon] #168237 01/09/2016 7:44 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Chance, It sounds like you are describing a low brisket hit. The heart is low and there is a chance you may have nicked it, but tracking him and then not finding more blood can really throw you off.

Do not feel too bad; yes it hurts but as the guys here will affirm, it does happen and you just resolve to do better next time.

Re: I messed up. [Re: Gregg Richter] #168240 01/09/2016 10:46 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Just happened to me this year too. It's certainly an empty feeling. I'll be putting in a ton of practice right along side ya.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: I messed up. [Re: Gregg Richter] #168242 01/10/2016 12:23 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
Chance, It sounds like you are describing a low brisket hit. The heart is low and there is a chance you may have nicked it, but tracking him and then not finding more blood can really throw you off.

Do not feel too bad; yes it hurts but as the guys here will affirm, it does happen and you just resolve to do better next time.
I agree with Gregg, sounds like you creased him, been on a few of those.

Re: I messed up. [Re: racksmasher1] #168250 01/10/2016 8:54 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
TN-It happened on my first BP kill 45 yrs ago... A new rifle and young to this stuff l was in a stand overlooking a scrape. This small basket rack 6 point is standing there looking at me fumble with #11 caps on a 45 cal H&R 58 Huntsman...He is 60yds facing me when l touch one off.. Away he goes up the hill into the bush...l wait a couple moments and climb down. Then the search starts and l find nothing. It's beginning to get dark and l don't want to get lost even tho l feel good about the shot. I decide to come back in the morning with Billy MacBrides' dog..
Well there's drama at home and family matters to attend. I get called to work and this and that...It was the last weekend of deer season and time slipped away...
Following year l miss deer season Completely... Year skipped,off season and walking thru winter woods l find this small 6 point basket rack...Most of the skull gone but did find a front shoulder blade with a neat round .45cal hole...Yep,my first BP buck from 2 yrs past...Not a bit wasted...l just didn't get to taste it

Re: I messed up. [Re: sw282] #168251 01/10/2016 12:53 PM
Boot Offline
addict
addict
I suspect we have all been in that situation. I know I have. Losing a deer is tough. Like everyone here told me a couple seasons ago, practice, learn from every experience, and get right back in the saddle. As sw282 stated, you may not have tasted that deer, but it isn't going to be wasted. And since you didn't find it, it's possible you may see him next year. Over time I have seen deer killed that when skinned out had bullets, buckshot, and broadheads in their legs and shoulders healed over from seasons passed by. Hang in there buddy!

Re: I messed up. [Re: Boot] #168252 01/10/2016 2:03 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I lost one deer last year because at 61 I can not see open sights like I once did. That is why all my hunting handguns now have either a scope or a red dot on them.

In years past I lost a deer with the same shot placement with my bow. Low shots anywhere except the heart are bad news.

What I am saying is if you hunt enough it will happen. Learn from it and then put it behind you. Build your confidence with lots of practice and get after them next season.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: I messed up. [Re: Chance Weldon] #168253 01/10/2016 2:37 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you hunt for any appreciable amount of time it is going to happen to you. Not a matter of if, but rather when. We learn and we apply, that's all we can do. Don't let it eat you up.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: I messed up. [Re: s4s4u] #168264 01/10/2016 9:22 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
If you hunt for any appreciable amount of time it is going to happen to you. Not a matter of if, but rather when. We learn and we apply, that's all we can do. Don't let it eat you up.

I agree!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: I messed up. [Re: KRal] #168269 01/10/2016 10:46 PM
TGC Offline
If you hunt,,, this will happen.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod