Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes #168599 01/22/2016 1:02 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
There's a massive winter storm that's going to be moving into our area over the next few hours. Meteorologists are predicting that we may see up to 2 inches of freezing rain and ice tonight, then up to 8 inches of snow early tomorrow morning. I know many of you from up north and out west may laugh at that amount, but for us that's quite unusual. I've always wanted to make a hunting video in the snow, but for various reasons, I've never made it happen. Hopefully, the coyotes will be on the move after the storm passes, so maybe I can call one up within Encore range. Of course, I won't care if I don't shoot anything as long as I can record some decent footage. Wish me luck.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have any suggestions on which type of call would be best given the circumstances? I'm thinking rabbit distress would be my best bet, but rodent squeaks might work too.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes [Re: Chance Weldon] #168616 01/22/2016 12:22 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
No recommendations on calls, but while you're calling in the snow, think of me in N.C., chewing on a ham biscuit with a hot coffee, and maybe a donut. I will look out the window at the snow, though.

Re: We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes [Re: 500WE] #168618 01/22/2016 2:34 PM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
Do you have an Ecall ? or just hand calls? The reason I ask it makes a difference. How about a locator ?

Re: We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes [Re: cherokeetracker] #168619 01/22/2016 2:41 PM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
Excuse me,,,, I sometimes call a Howler a locator.. If you have a howler you can tell where they are sometimes when you are starting out, and if you have an Ecall used in conjunction with a howler that really sounds more realistic.
Try a cottontail since they are more likely to be the rabbit in your area. later if a coyote needs a little coaxing then pull put the mouse squeaker and get their attention. If you have some kind of decoy that usually helps.

Re: We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes [Re: cherokeetracker] #168622 01/22/2016 3:29 PM
eastex Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have a fox pro and mouth calls, I have had the best luck with rabbit distress sounds. This time of year is one of the best for using coyote vocals. I will usually start a set with a couple lone howls from my cow horn howler as it sounds more realistic than an e caller. I also have a decoy but you can make your own really easy with a stick and about 10 or 12" of really light fishing line and a large feather. Good luck!!

Re: We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes [Re: cherokeetracker] #168623 01/22/2016 3:32 PM
Brenden Offline
addict
addict
At one time, I was a game calling fanatic. Fox and cats were my main target. I used one of the old Johnny Stewart calling systems with grey Fox pup distress and game chicken distress. Called in several animals with each. Coyote around these parts were illusive at one time so we never called in that many. Either of the calls I mentioned will get you a yote'.

Re: We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes [Re: Brenden] #168624 01/22/2016 4:24 PM
Handgunner400 Offline
TN, we were hit slightly before y'all and have 4+" on the ground this morning. Nicely placed over an hour or so of sleet...

I'll be out chasing this afternoon as soon as the roads clear enough.

Re: We're about to get slammed, so I'm after coyotes [Re: Handgunner400] #168647 01/24/2016 1:53 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
We ended up with 7 1/2" of snow yesterday, and I actually called up a coyote with the rabbit distress call. I didn't see it, but I saw its tracks where it circled around behind me. Probably should have had my decoy out. At least I got some good footage for a video.

My primary caller is electronic, but I do have two mouth calls and a pair of decoys.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod