Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Holsters #168863 02/06/2016 9:55 AM
big spruce Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hey guys been really struggling trying to find the correct holsters for my revolvers. I have a RSB 44 5.5 barrel and a Smith 442. I carry the Smith daily. The ruger is basically for hunting season only and woods carry. I have messed around with several nylon holsters and dislike what I have. I also carry my Smith 442 in a pocket holster which works 70% of the time. I have an IWB holster for it that I don't like much because it keeps the cylinder pressed into my hip. I thinking I need a holster that gets the cylinder above my belt line. Im also suspect that my current belt is just too worn out for proper gun support. The Smith is by far and away the most important one to solve right now. I use that for everything from work to summer hiking and fishing.

Thanks everyone
Big Spruce

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner
Re: Holsters [Re: big spruce] #168865 02/06/2016 12:42 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
get a new/GOOD belt. that will solver 50+% of your problems.

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Holsters [Re: bluecow] #168871 02/06/2016 5:16 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Big,

When you get a revolver holster with the cylinder above the belt line, the length of barrel and quality of leather becomes becomes very important. As does the style of holster, with regard to the location of the belt loops.

The longer the barrel, the less "floppy" the holster will wear, as the portion of leather below the belt will allow your hip to rock the butt, inward. You cannot adjust for this, as you barrel is fixed, and short. But quality leather can account for this.

Slots that are behind and in front of the holster body will allow the belt to pull the gun in tighter to the body. The original term for this was pancake style. The half pancake style would be one belt slot that hits the gun at frame/cylinder, with a slot behind the holster. This is usually a tad more comfortable than a full pancake, but usually a tad less pull into the body, and concealment.

While I have never owned a 442, I do have and have owned other, similar guns. I have had really good luck with De Santis leather revolver holsters, in the pancake style. These all have had a thumb break, as this is typically needed when the cylinder and gun weight get higher on the hip. They are also priced reasonably well. The leather is usually on the thinner side, but style and construction are very good.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Holsters [Re: Bearbait in NM] #168884 02/07/2016 6:39 AM
cobrad Offline
stranger
stranger
I have a Galco pancake style for my Smith 342. Very comfortable, good leather.
I carry a FA model 83 to hunt with. I use a chest holster for it. It carries the weight comfortably and is out of the way for backpacks, rifles, sitting in truck or ATV. Mine is a FA brand, but I have read really good reviews on the Diamond D Guides Choice holster.

Last edited by cobrad; 02/07/2016 6:43 AM.
Re: Holsters [Re: cobrad] #168957 02/11/2016 1:13 AM
big spruce Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks guys I'm ordering a few things to try. Its only money lol!

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner
Re: Holsters [Re: big spruce] #168980 02/11/2016 6:44 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Be sure and get a good sized box for holsters. You do this long enough, and it won't take much time to fill one up with almost work's ;^)

Good luck,

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Holsters [Re: Bearbait in NM] #169135 02/22/2016 1:01 AM
rawhidekid Offline
stranger
stranger
Any time you have on an in the pants holster, have a pair of pants large enough for you and the holster. I wear a 36 but when in the pants holster I wear a 38, both pants and belt.

Life member NRA, Retired USAF

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod