Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sad news #171165 06/23/2016 8:17 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Handgun Hunters International and the Sixgunner newspaper have ceased as of this last issue. JDJones made the front page announcement. I knew, as JD said, that TRUE handgun hunters are declining. So fellows keep the handloads rolling and your sights sharp because your the last of our kind..... It really sucked writing this post....
PS- As JD says in the issue there are a lot of people who talk the talk. So true....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171166 06/23/2016 8:34 PM
Buck_358 Offline
Sad to hear.. As I await this months issue to arrive.

NRA Patriot Life Endowment
HHI #6544
Re: Sad news [Re: Buck_358] #171167 06/23/2016 10:30 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
WOW. I thought our numbers were on the way up. New people keep showing up on this forum on a pretty regular basis. Guess it means I need to step up my part in getting new people started with handguns. Seems like once ya get someone started, there's no looking back. Some fizzle out after the first trip or two to the range, but the ones that really have it in them, you can tell right away.

Thanks for sharing this James. Hopefully it will be motivation to all of us.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171173 06/23/2016 11:22 PM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I couldn't believe it when I saw my issue today. I will cherish every issue I have accumulated over the years.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: Sad news [Re: Randominator] #171174 06/24/2016 1:22 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
It"s a sign of the times, we are a minority,a very small one, the hayday of the late 70" and 80"s is over, to the guy"s that promote this sport, I applaud you, a big thanks to the few guy"s putting the positive spin on handgun hunting, to this day, I can"t believe the people that say to me, YOU HUNT WITH A HANDGUN!!!

Re: Sad news [Re: racksmasher1] #171176 06/24/2016 1:43 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
....to this day, I can"t believe the people that say to me, YOU HUNT WITH A HANDGUN!!!

I hear this a lot too. I imagine all of us do. But any time I get a chance to talk about hunting with handguns, I take it. And I ALWAYS get that response, or something very similar. I try to turn the "shock value" of it into an invitation to go to the range so they can see what our guns are capable of. Most of the time, they are pretty interested. A few end up going to the range with me, and a few of those have gone on to get their concealed carry license. Only a couple have actually gone on to hunt with a handgun. But it's a start!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171178 06/24/2016 9:04 AM
sw282 Offline
addict
addict
Sad to hear about HHI..0n a more positive note l will say locally IHMSA is alive and well here on the Ga/SC
border...From Augusta l shoot 3 matches a month...
First, second, and fourth Sat..Gainesville Ga,
Patrick, SC and Lincolnton Ga...Numbers are increasing with
younger shooters joining too..Quite a few handgun Hunters in our
midst. Come join US...Short of shooting REAL animals,,Nothing like hearing and seeing those STEEL critters CLANG and fall out to 200 meters

Last edited by sw282; 06/24/2016 9:07 AM.
Re: Sad news [Re: sw282] #171179 06/24/2016 1:36 PM
PythonHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
This is sad news as it is one of the few publications that I read cover to cover the minute it gets in. Mine will be in the mail today I hope.

PH

Re: Sad news [Re: PythonHunter] #171181 06/24/2016 4:17 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Sad news indeed James...keep the torches lit, fellas.

Hopefully someone will pick up the baton and continue the tradition of the printed word, but Handgun Hunting stories will live on here as many of the stories I read in recent years in the Sixgunner were first recounted here...

Re: Sad news [Re: SChunter] #171184 06/24/2016 8:46 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I was a charter member of HHI and have written hundreds of stories since 10/79. The club helped make me the hunter I am, plus I got the bonus of developing a close and great relationship with JD. He deserves all our respect for putting handgun hunting "on the map".

Re: Sad news [Re: wvhitman] #171185 06/24/2016 10:10 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: wvhitman
I was a charter member of HHI and have written hundreds of stories since 10/79. The club helped make me the hunter I am, plus I got the bonus of developing a close and great relationship with JD. He deserves all our respect for putting handgun hunting "on the map".
. Says it all

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Sad news [Re: SChunter] #171201 06/25/2016 9:12 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
Sad news indeed James...keep the torches lit, fellas.

Hopefully someone will pick up the baton and continue the tradition of the printed word, but Handgun Hunting stories will live on here as many of the stories I read in recent years in the Sixgunner were first recounted here...
Well said Dur...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171203 06/25/2016 9:16 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
The amount of response to this topic tells me so much about MY future....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171206 06/25/2016 9:47 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That is a shame. I was never a member, but still find it sad that such a bedrock of handgun hunting go away. Hunting in general is on the downtrend, at least around here, so handgun hunting being a minority of a minority gets a double tap of smackdown.

I also was greeted with the "where is your real deer gun" mentality when I first showed up at camp with only a Contender 7-30 and Ruger 45. I still get funny looks from newbies that show up from time to time. I will never go back to the long gun.

I have passed the handgun bug down to my daughter and eldest granddaughter, but not sure if either will ever hunt with one or hunt at all. I will try.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171208 06/25/2016 9:52 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
This is why we need to try to introduce as many people as we can to specialty pistols and big bore handguns. Heck, I've even contemplated joining some other generic hunting forums just so I can discuss handgun hunting with people who might not have ever heard of it (unfortunately, I feel my low kill count wouldn't give me that much credibility).

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 06/25/2016 10:01 PM. Reason: I originally wrote "big bore rifles." I'm completely ashamed of myself

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171210 06/25/2016 9:55 PM
Mech 8 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I became a member in Oct 1986 and have every issue stashed away in my closet. I have gleaned the articles over the years for their load data and cartridge performance on game animals. I will miss Doc Rogers thorough reports on hogs and deer that he has taken with various firearms and cartridges. I would like to say thanks to JD for everything he's done for handgun hunting and for the awesome hand cannons he creates. Thanks to all of you on this forum that have contributed to the "Sixgunner" over the years. HHI may be no longer, but I will help carry on the tradition of hunting with a handgun by encouraging my three sons to accept the challenge.

Endeavor to persevere

Re: Sad news [Re: Chance Weldon] #171211 06/25/2016 10:01 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
You don't need a lot of credibility Chance. I haven't taken a lot of big game with a handgun either. Get them started on small game, and the rest will take care of itself. That's what I have found to work for me with guys that I have gotten started anyway.

I'm taking a break from the revolvers this season so I can try a flintlock. I'll still have a handgun with me, but if I get a shot with a flintlock, I'm gonna take it. If the shot is SUPER close, and I can't move the long flintlock into position without getting busted, I'm gonna use my Springfield XD-M. I've wanted to take a big game animal with a handgun other than a revolver, so the XD-M will get the first crack at it. I don't think I'll ever shoot a center fire rifle again as far as hunting purposes go. I'll always have a handgun of some sort on my side. I might be using a flintlock now and then, but the handguns are pretty special to me.

Don't give up before ya start! I'd say if you feel like you can talk with some people in a different forum, then go for it! If nothing else, if ya don't feel confident talking with them, refer them to this site, and they can browse around for themselves. I think it's a great idea you have!

Last edited by Raptortrapper; 06/25/2016 10:05 PM.

Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171268 06/29/2016 12:47 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Guys, Gregg posted a new thread about HHI and Sixgunner. I don't think he knew this one was already going. In his post, he made a statement that reminded me of something. I replied in his thread, but in case you guys don't read that thread because of seeing it here first, I wanted to say it here also.

Gregg raised the point that we are few in numbers, and need to stick together. It reminded me of this:

Falconry is in the same boat as handgun hunting. There aren't a lot of falconers out there. Most of you probably don't know anyone other than me that does it. Nation wide, I think there are less than 5000 licensed individuals, and I'd be willing to bet that there are only about half of those that are actually practicing. But my point is this: Falconry has been around between three and four thousand years, depending on who you talk to. (The earliest records show falcons being given as gifts in Ancient China.) But there are still people doing it today. There may not be a lot of us, but the drive for falconry will always be there for some of us. Same with handgun hunting. I don't believe it will ever go away. There will always be those that think like us. There will always be someone hunting with a handgun, somewhere. Falconry has never had huge numbers of participants, and perhaps handgun hunting never will either. But in my opinion, the reason for both sports not having high numbers, is because it isn't easy. If it were easy, our numbers, both falconers and handgun hunters, would be equal to those hunting with a rifle. This stuff isn't for everyone. But because of those of us that crave it, and can't live without it, it will never die.

We may have lost a publication, but we have not lost who we are.

Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171270 06/29/2016 4:57 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
You are right Raptor, didn't know this was already going.

We have lost a publication but also an identity almost like a brotherhood.

JD and SSK Industries are still going strong and will still sell you that custom barrel or build you that awesome hand cannon.

Re: Sad news [Re: Gregg Richter] #171272 06/29/2016 5:25 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
You are right Raptor, didn't know this was already going.

We have lost a publication but also an identity almost like a brotherhood.

Yeah, I figured there was more than just a publication to it. But oddly enough, I hadn't heard of it. I've been on this sight for several years, and never heard of it, or at least don't recall it. Had I known about it, I would have joined for sure. Sounds like it certainly served a purpose, and had great members.

Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171277 06/29/2016 11:58 PM
trlcavscout Offline
For guys like me who are just starting out in the handgun hunting world this is a blow, a loss of information and experince from seasoned hunters that we could have benefited from.

Re: Sad news [Re: trlcavscout] #171283 06/30/2016 1:12 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Don't take what I am about to say wrong, but I am surprised that HHI stayed afloat as long as it did. Younger people prefer to get their information from the internet, a newsletter, like a magazine is on the endangered species list, but without the benefit of protection to keep them from extinction. Harris Publications folded a couple of months ago, and the magazine industry as a whole is taking a drubbing. Why? Because of the internet. Folks somehow prefer to get their information from un-vetted sources. This doesn't mean that handgun hunting is somehow getting less popular, it just means younger folks are looking for information from other sources.

I have spent my career promoting my agenda -- handgun hunting -- and can tell you that in the magazines that I do get published, the articles are met with a lot of positive input. I remain optimistic, but we have to look at other types of media now to get information out.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171284 06/30/2016 1:53 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I have spent my career promoting my agenda -- handgun hunting -- and can tell you that in the magazines that I do get published, the articles are met with a lot of positive input. I remain optimistic, but we have to look at other types of media now to get information out.

i.e. THIS WEBSITE!!!

I've only been handgun hunting a few years, but this website is working. It is where I got all my information the first couple years I started. That, and from a few of its members through phone conversations and emails.

It's like they say in the business world-- If you don't have a website, you're already dead in the water. We have a website thanks to Dan, and I believe it is working.

Last edited by Raptortrapper; 06/30/2016 2:03 PM. Reason: Because my fingers can't keep up with my brain.

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171288 06/30/2016 3:46 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Folks somehow prefer to get their information from un-vetted sources. This doesn't mean that handgun hunting is somehow getting less popular, it just means younger folks are looking for information from other sources.

This^^^^^

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Sad news [Re: trlcavscout] #171297 06/30/2016 8:32 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: trlcavscout
For guys like me who are just starting out in the handgun hunting world this is a blow, a loss of information and experince from seasoned hunters that we could have benefited from.

Well said and to the point....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171301 06/30/2016 9:37 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That print media is drying up means that there is less work available for me. So, this saddens me on a number of fronts. That said, we really need to embrace new technologies.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171304 06/30/2016 10:39 PM
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Whit, If I have to take up a collection we will make sure your printed word stay`s available to our people.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171306 06/30/2016 11:32 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Whit, If I have to take up a collection we will make sure your printed word stay`s available to our people.....

Thanks for the compliment, James! NRA's American Hunter still indulges my handgun hunting agenda and I have a couple of bold multipart pieces coming up that will be both in the printed magazine and the website. So stay tuned. On that note, if you are a gun owner and a handgun hunter, and you are not a member of the NRA, you need to change that as soon as humanly possible for a whole slew of reasons I shouldn't have to explain to you, the least of which is that you can get American Hunter magazine.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Sad news [Re: jamesfromjersey] #171310 06/30/2016 11:49 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
All thuough I get some information on the internet I prefer the feel of a good book in my hands.The information is then available to me at any time .With the internet the information can be here today and gone forever tommorow. An E.M.P. burst could right now ruin our society as we know it.Our society would be set back 100 years in a micro second because we depend so much on modern tecnology and computers. So give me a good book,something cold to sip on and a quiet place to rest and read and I am content. J.M.H.O.

junebug
Re: Sad news [Re: junebug] #171312 07/01/2016 12:44 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: junebug
All thuough I get some information on the internet I prefer the feel of a good book in my hands.The information is then available to me at any time .With the internet the information can be here today and gone forever tommorow. An E.M.P. burst could right now ruin our society as we know it.Our society would be set back 100 years in a micro second because we depend so much on modern tecnology and computers. So give me a good book,something cold to sip on and a quiet place to rest and read and I am content. J.M.H.O.

I agree, I'm just saying that the younger folks don't rely on vetted, printed information anymore and instead prefer to wade through endless amounts of BS on the internet. That said, if we are to pull more into the fold, we need to embrace technology as well. I still prefer a printed magazine and a book to a website -- easier to take to the bathroom!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171313 07/01/2016 1:08 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Yup, I'm a book freak as well. I've got a library of books on a few different hobbies that I have. Oddly enough, nothing on handguns. I've preferred to get my information from research on this site, and using the "search" function. I guess as far as handgun hunting goes, this website is my "book".

Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171314 07/01/2016 2:36 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
Yup, I'm a book freak as well. I've got a library of books on a few different hobbies that I have. Oddly enough, nothing on handguns. I've preferred to get my information from research on this site, and using the "search" function. I guess as far as handgun hunting goes, this website is my "book".

So you just admitted that you don't have any of my books. I'm devastated!😀

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171316 07/01/2016 3:08 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper

So you just admitted that you don't have any of my books. I'm devastated!😀

You write stuff????
\:\)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Sad news [Re: Ernie] #171320 07/01/2016 12:57 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
HAHA!!! No, I meant hardbound books. I do have the Big Bore Revolver book.

Re: Sad news [Re: Raptortrapper] #171322 07/01/2016 1:36 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My Ruger book is a hardback.......

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171323 07/01/2016 2:57 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I could, resist, but I just didn't want to...

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Sad news [Re: Ernie] #171324 07/01/2016 3:05 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
I could, resist, but I just didn't want to...

Haha!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Sad news [Re: Whitworth] #171325 07/01/2016 3:08 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have both books and am looking for more on the subject.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Sad news [Re: REDHAWK1954] #171326 07/01/2016 3:14 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Hope you all have a great Independence Day weekend!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Sad news [Re: REDHAWK1954] #171329 07/01/2016 5:30 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954
I have both books and am looking for more on the subject.

New one coming out in the fall about hunting revolvers.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod