Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun Hunters International Terminated #171262 06/29/2016 3:12 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
It is with a very heavy heart that I bring this sad news to this website. We have lost a major contributor and helper "enabler" to our beloved sport of handgun hunting.

In actuality, HHI and the publication known as "THE SIXGUNNNER" have been recently terminated by JD Jones, who started it all way back in 1979.

Without any fan fare or pre-warnings, my JUNE "SIXGUNNER" which I received today bore the bad news. At first after a busy day, and staring at the printing with my blood-shot eyes (from the record heat we are experiencing) it did not seem to register. Then after I read it, again and again, the stark reality of it slowly sank in.

We have, indeed folks, lost a huge chunk of our handgun hunting posterity. Not to mention the SIXGUNNER publication where we could all write an article and share our experiences...

I can only add that we are all here in the same boat and, with HHI going south, we need to continue to, both inter-actively as well as financially when possible, contribute to keep THIS WEBSITE going, for this once again proves what a minority we as handgun hunters, really are.

Re: Handgun Hunters International Terminated [Re: Gregg Richter] #171266 06/29/2016 12:38 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Hey Gregg. Guess ya haven't been on in a while. But James beat ya to it:
http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/171165/page/1#Post171165

We've been getting the heat over here also. Been starting work at 5:30 and 6:00 in the mornings so we can get out of there by 3:00 at the latest. I hate this time of year, but I guess we have to have it in order to get to fall and winter!

Gregg, you did point out something that struck a cord with me, but I want to also try to expand on it, and encourage everyone.

Falconry is in the same boat as handgun hunting. There aren't a lot of falconers out there. Most of you probably don't know anyone other than me that does it. Nation wide, I think there are less than 5000 licensed individuals, and I'd be willing to bet that there are only about half of those that are actually practicing. But my point is this: Falconry has been around between three and four thousand years, depending on who you talk to. (The earliest records show falcons being given as gifts in Ancient China.) But there are still people doing it today. There may not be a lot of us, but the drive for falconry will always be there for some of us. Same with handgun hunting. I don't believe it will ever go away. There will always be those that think like us. There will always be someone hunting with a handgun, somewhere. Falconry has never had huge numbers of participants, and perhaps handgun hunting never will either. But in my opinion, the reason for both sports not having high numbers, is because it isn't easy. If it were easy, our numbers, both falconers and handgun hunters, would be equal to those hunting with a rifle. This stuff isn't for everyone. But because of those of us that crave it, and can't live without it, it will never die.

We may have lost a publication, but we have not lost who we are.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Handgun Hunters International Terminated [Re: Raptortrapper] #171271 06/29/2016 5:02 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I just read the other post, Rap, and no I haven't been on in awhile; sorry to bring on old news.

You are right, we haven't lost who we are, but IMO we have lost an identity, a brotherhood, that helped define who we are.

Re: Handgun Hunters International Terminated [Re: Gregg Richter] #171273 06/29/2016 6:31 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I know this grieves you Gregg because of your personal connection.
Now is an opportunity to make new connections.
I'm sorry to see it go, but as far as my feelings and beliefs go, I haven't lost anything that defines me or other folks that hunt and shoot with handguns of all kinds.
My sense of brotherhood hasn't changed. I am still connected to the handgunners I know and continue to meet more all the time.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Handgun Hunters International Terminated [Re: Ernie] #171274 06/29/2016 7:04 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Gregg, Felt the same as you my friend...........

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Handgun Hunters International Terminated [Re: Gregg Richter] #171640 07/23/2016 8:35 PM
billa Offline
old hand
old hand
Its time for me to add my 2 cents on the demise of Handgun Hunters International. As a 36 year Charter member I am quite saddened as I am a great fan of The Sixgunner and of JD Jones and everything he has done to pioneer the sport of big game handgun hunting over the past 40 plus years. The efforts of JD and his band of handgunning cronies brought hunting with a handgun out of the stunt category and into the main stream. As a ballistics developer he was instrumental in the development of many high performance cartridges and in advancing high performance ammunition for hunting and self defense. The JDJ line of cartridges were clearly top of the heap in the Contender for any animal on the planet long before the Encore platform was invented. The Sixgunner has been a mainstay of my reading library and will be greatly missed. Many of the posters on this site were also published in The Sixgunner long before this site (or the internet) existed.
I tip my hat to JD and I certainly wish him well. Thanks for pioneering our great sport!

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.
Re: Handgun Hunters International Terminated [Re: billa] #171795 08/01/2016 12:10 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I will miss more than anything reading all of Doc's stories...he was one of the only REAL bullet testers out there...it's very sad...HHI was an awesome group of handgun hunters

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Handgun Hunters International Terminated [Re: Franchise] #171819 08/02/2016 1:42 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
I too am saddened and like Gregg have been away from this portal for a while, I just happened to take a moment and it was somewhat like a reunion to read the opinions, each of the posters holds an important place in the my heart in the ranks of influential handgun hunters, of people who share their opinions and whose opinions count. Quite a bunch of old coots we are.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod