Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
6x45 aka 6-223 bullets #10788 10/29/2005 2:21 PM
jsh Offline OP
OP Offline
I am looking for some feed back on 6mm bullets for this. It is a 16" barrel so should be able to get a little more velocity than the shorter tubes. I have shot this as a pistol but I am going to switch it over to carbine mode for the son this year to deer hunt with. The loads I have worked up now are fairly hot, H335 and 80 grain Speer hotcores. I am still some what concerned of bullet performance. I do have a few of the Sierra SSP's rat holed, they blow up pretty bad in the velocities that I shot in the past on coyotes. I am thinking maybe one of the Nosler bullets might work better than a Speer?
Any and all feedback appreciated.
Jeff

Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: jsh] #10789 10/29/2005 2:51 PM
sglshotkw Offline
I am a big fan of the Barnes Triple Shock bullets might try some of those 85 grns i believe. Also a great deer bullet in 6mm is the Swift Sirocco at 90 grns both are excellent bullets

KW
Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: jsh] #10790 10/29/2005 2:59 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i used the 80gr sierra sspb outta the 6br on a lil doe a couple seasons ago. she dropped right there at 125++ yds as the shot was a lil high n fragments destroyed the spine. i was impressed at the bullets performance. i'd rather have extra expansion as compared to none.

i ferget now what velocity that 13" 6br was puttin out.......bout 2700-2800fps i'm a thinkin.

the sierra 80gr sspb.........an excellent shootin bullet. such a shame they ain't smart enuff to keep makin it.

sdhandgunner uses the 80gr speer(maybe he'll report) ...........n bob milek proved it's worth many moons ago out of small six's.

i have a 80gr nosler bt load for my 15" OTT 6tcu.......but havn't hunted with it yet.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: KYODE] #10791 10/29/2005 9:14 PM
DwarvenChef Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm doing something simular with my daughter, 6.5tcu in 18" or 20". Going to test the 85's to 100's for her to see what works best. My local store doesnt have Swifts in 6.5 yet..but I'm working on it.

How low velocity do the barns bullets open?

===========
T/C Addict
Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: jsh] #10792 10/29/2005 9:29 PM
tommyn Offline
The sierra's tore up a lot of meat on grandson's deer last year and I'm going to try the Hornady 80gr SSPB this year in the 6mm 30-30 carbine and 6mm bullberry 14 inch.

Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: sglshotkw] #10793 10/29/2005 10:56 PM
jsh Offline OP
OP Offline
I am going to look at the Barnes and see what weights are available. I would prefer to stay 85gr or under myself.
Tommy, I have used the Sierra to take one small deer a few years back with the 14"6TCU, it worked very well and didn't tear up a lot. On the other hand I used the same bullet from the same lot in the 6x45 carbine and it tears varmints up pretty bad, so I don't feel I can trust it.
I talked to a friend in Tx that has a lot of experiance with the 6mm's in the 223 parent case. He recommended the Speer, but there have been a few new bullets that have came out since then.
I want a bullet that will not explode on contact with bone, but on the same hand one that will expand well also. It is all in shot placement I know.
The son does very well with this rig shooting at 100 and 200. But, if you give the kid a bigger target he tends to spread the group out enough for me to be concerned about hitting a bone in the front end and making a mess, so to speak.
He has a 30-30 carbine barrel that he shoots some cast in. I am having thoughts about that one, but he seems to shoot the 6 better and favors it over the 30-30.
Thanks fellas.
Jeff

Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: jsh] #10794 10/30/2005 3:40 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
if i was lookin fer a bullet just a lil harder than the single shot pistol version........the sierra 85gr bthp would most likely do the deed. it has a long standing reputation on deer outta the .243's.....and would definately expand a lil slower than the sspb's at those type velocities.

different people look for different things in their bullet i suppose. the VERY expensive premium bullets will likely never interest me at all. i ain't payin that kinnda price fer the dang things for one thing. if i could see no other route......maybe ....or if there is some highly specialized use at the time....maybe

if i find plenty o bullet options that will work for ME by going other routes, thats what i'll do. deer are easy to kill imo. i've never had any problems with destroying much eatin part, or at least not enuff to concern me. if i have a lil bloodshot nasty part etc.....i just trim it off n eat right up to the hole, so to speak. i've killed a bunch o deer 50yds or less with a 130gr bullet smokin outta .270 rifles.....so maybe i ain't too picky on hole size.

tommy.....give us a report on the hornady 80gr ssp later on. i've heard very few reports on that particular bullet, but i would think it would be similar to the sierra sspb.

hornady still makin that one?....or was it discontinued? i know where a couple boxes have been on the shelf fer a while. i been waitin till the time was right to buy em n see how they shoot.

Last edited by KYODE; 10/30/2005 3:42 AM.

Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: KYODE] #10795 10/30/2005 4:10 AM
jsh Offline OP
OP Offline
Kyle, as far as paying to much for bullets, yup the Barnes were right at .50 each, got a box sitting here as I type. I am going to give them a try and see what happens. It's not like I am going to let the kid blast away with them or anything of the sort. I figure I can find a load with the first box, if they work as I am thinking they will the next box should last several seasons. But on the money side, I have seen time and time again, guy walks in to gun shop, buys super duper whopper stopper. Then wants the cheapest ammo you can get. The next thing ya hear him say is the gun is a POS and he wants to sell it cheap. I have a friend that has to have the latest greatest, have bought several from him that were fired less than 100 rounds for a lot less than he gave for it.
I do agree deer aren't hard to kill, if you place the shot properly. Where we will be hunting this year shots will be from about 75 to 350 yards. I am going to keep him at 150 or less. I am figuring this 85 grain Barnes should work like a 100 grain in a 243, I hope. LOL, who knows, better get some stuffed into some cases first, may not shoot them worth a darn.
I did grab a box of the Hornadys 80 grain SP-pistol and some of the Sierra 85 grain HP GK's.
I also got to digging around and found some bulk 6mm 80 grain Remingtons I think, no canalure, they are a Spt FB type bullet. Any of you gents tried them? May take the dremel and split a jacket and see what it looks like.
Jeff

Re: 6x45 aka 6-223 bullets [Re: jsh] #10796 10/30/2005 5:10 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
sure ain't nuthin wrong with tryin the fancy high priced bullets jsh. i'm glad they are available for people that do want to use them to get their satisfaction. lot's of options are great for everyone.
the accubonds, interbonds, partitions, tsx's etc, etc are there to pick from.......and i can't say i would NEVER use ANY one of them.......anyway, i think you know what i'm tryin to say.lol

i've shot some of the bulk 80gr rem plhp(with cannelure) and they have shot excellent in 14" 6tcu. it is also what i have been loading in my son's .243 rem 700 rifle. it worked excellent on the small doe he killed at roughly 200yds.......but that is at rifle velocity, which i havn't chronographed yet. i'd estimate 3100-3200fps by book listing with varget.
sdhandgunner seemed to think it a lil hard for pistol velocity on a doe a couple seasons ago and still get great expansion, but.........maybe that would be an option for you to look at also since you want to limit over expansion.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod