Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New to the Board..Hello #10828 11/01/2005 4:35 PM
Bama Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm new to the board, and still consider myself a rookie to handgun hunting even though I have killed several whitetail deer. I have a super blackhawk with a 2.5x7 Burris scope and a super redhawk with iron sights. I load my own ammo and have a Dillion 550B. I also have several .22 handguns.I enjoy shooting all types of handguns.

Since I have put my waterfowl hunting on hold for a season (had my hip replaced recently) I decided to start chasing as I call them woods goats again. I like the challenge of hunting with a handgun.

I do have a question though. There is a gun show coming to town this weekend and I am thinking about purchasing a contender. What is a good price for a contender? Or better yet what should I look for to get started. Just a frame? Certain modle? etc. I have always wanted one but something else always came first. LOL call it a hurray on my way to recovery from hip replacement present.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: Bama] #10829 11/01/2005 4:56 PM
tx44hunter Offline
Bama,
Welcome to the board. I'm also very new to the board. But I do enjoy the board very much. I have no idea on your Contender question.

Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: Bama] #10830 11/01/2005 6:55 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
prices can vary so widely from area to area etc.....it's hard to pin down exactly. real deals are out there, but ya just gotta shop around.

visit gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com, and auctionarms.com to get a feel for prices, and view pics of differing setups maybe

as far as old model contender actions go, i'd stay in the "easy open" category. serial#'s above 195,000 are easy open.
the new model G2 contender is one very nice piece of TC work imo.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: Bama] #10831 11/01/2005 10:38 PM
bisleyfan44 Offline
veteran
veteran
welcome to the board and i hope you have a speedy recovery...and enjoy hunting with your handgun this year!!

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a handgun today.
Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: bisleyfan44] #10832 11/02/2005 1:21 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
WELCOME ABOARD!! Great place to hang out and learn. Sorry I can't help you with the contender question, but I jumped right over the contender and went to the encore.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: Bama] #10833 11/02/2005 12:03 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Welcome,

If you're new to Contenders, the easy open frame is the later model. Of course the Contender is out of production and the 2nd Generation (G2) is the one currently produced.

The pics below show an old model (non-easy-open) an easy-open model and what to look for when buying a used contender (stretch marks - yuk!).

There are differences in the hammers too older models will have this hammer configuration. The hammer spur is an add-on - they didn't come with that from T/C.

Newer models will have this hammer. There was some overlap between the hammer change and the easy-open mod.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: Bama] #10834 11/02/2005 2:36 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
Bama, greetings! Welcome to the board

Going prices around here are as follows:

Old style non easy opening frame, blued only, $125-150
Old style easy opening frame blued, $150-175
Old style easy opening frame, Armor Alloy, $150-200
Old style easy opening frame Stainless Steel, $200-225
G2 blued [haven't seen stainless yet though it is now catalogues] $200-250

Once the SS G2 frames hit, expect them to command full retail until there are enough in circulation to bring them down to about $225-265.

Remember, the prices you see on GUnbroker and Auction Arms can be deceptive. Look to see what prices are on the ones with an actual BID as opposed to those that are continually relisted. THe ones with actual bids reflect what folks are really willing to pay for them

As an FFL who deals in TC stuff more than most around here, these prices are commonly seen in my area of Virginia, and reflect good to excellent condition frames.

I would also suggest you purchase a frame or two [one day the addiction will require you to have multiple frames ] and pic up used or used custom barrels online, as this is in my opinion the best and most cost effective way to build your battery of TC hunting inventory

Hope this helps

Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: Bama] #10835 11/02/2005 2:41 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Hello...in the last three months I've snagged three complete Contenders (one blued and two SS)...all with barrels (and one was even a custom barrel) for right around $300. These deals are hard to find but they are out there.

Re: New to the Board..Hello [Re: Bama] #10836 11/02/2005 3:45 PM
Bama Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for all the info. I looked at a SS Encore at a local gunshop and the sticker price was $689 with a Ruger 204 Barrel I think. I thought that seemed high. My friend is a gunsmith,(noth the same place with the encore) said we should find several diferent contenders at the gun show this weekend.

I'm only 40 and had my hip replaced so I intend on using whatever I purchase for a long time. LOL Wish it was easier to descide between the contender and the encore.I don't plan on shooting the giant hand cannons, but you never know I don't think I could go wrong with either.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod