Next Thread
Print Thread
Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? #173101 09/20/2016 5:06 PM
karl Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hello All
Question for you handloaders about crimping straight walled cartridges to reach higher pressures/velocities in single shot platforms.

Background - Reloading 45-70 with RL7 and 300 gn TTSX bullets in new starline nickle plated brass. 43-44 grains gave good accuracy at ~ 1775-1825 fps. Further increases in powder charge up to 47 grains (~98% load) seemed to plateau in velocity slightly above 1900 fps with larger velocity variations. Before I spend time, energy and money trying investigating this and attempting to increase velocity, I was wondering if any experienced reloaders had any insight. Is this a powder choice issue? A lack of crimp issue?

As a side note, I'm happy hunting with the load that worked,but would like to figure out if I could get a little more out of this platform.

Re: Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? [Re: karl] #173105 09/20/2016 6:43 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Crimp should help with consistancy, and perhaps with velocity but not likely enough to make all that much of a difference. Barrel length and propellant choice will have a much greater effect on velocity, relative to bullet weight.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? [Re: s4s4u] #173114 09/21/2016 12:44 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I messed around with this using a 460 smith and wesson on a TC Encore Pro Hunter frame with an MGM barrel. I was using H110 and the Hornady XTP MAGs. I maxed out the H110 load, and that is where it was most accurate, or at least very close to max. I backed off a bit to try messing around with the crimp, but couldn't improve the accuracy on what I already had with the near max load.

Just remember, its all fun and games till ya write it down. Then it's SCIENCE!!!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? [Re: Raptortrapper] #173122 09/21/2016 1:33 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I've noticed something similar to what you described. When I was testing some 460 handloads this spring, I hit a plateau. A 200 grain FTX on top of 51.5 grains of H110 gave me a velocity of 2656 fps and a standard deviation of 27, fps while 52.0 grains gave me 2599 fps and a standard deviation of 54 fps. A charge of 52.5 grains gave me similar results. All loads had a tight crimp, so I just accepted that 51.5 grains was the best load for my gun. On the other hand, back when I was testing my very first 460 handloads, I noticed that applying a crimp to cartridges with minimum loads of H110 increased velocity and consistency. These were both revolvers, mind you, not single shots.

My answer to you is to try out a heavy crimp to see if it make a difference, but only if you feel a 300 grain bullet at 1900 fps isn't quite enough power.
;\)

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? [Re: Chance Weldon] #173134 09/21/2016 2:27 AM
karl Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Oh, I'm writing this all down, but my notebook was at home and I was typing at work. I'll load some up with crimps and do some looking for a slightly faster powder to see what works. May be a winter project though.

Re: Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? [Re: Chance Weldon] #173137 09/21/2016 2:55 AM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
I do not have any data in front of me, but have you tried H4198?
Yes, a heavy crimp can increase velocity but also increase pressure some. With a single shot pistol a crimp is not really needed. Same with a Ruger #1 But a better propellant would probably benefit you the most.

I don't think a heavy crimp will help that much with RE7. Yes with H110 and a few other powders a heavy crimp is beneficial. A bullet like the TTSX again the crimp will increase pressure and I am thinking that the bad will outweigh the good in this particular case. ( such as accuracy falling off.)
If you are near max or max then back off a grain or a few tenths, chronograph it and look at the results. If not go for it, and let us know.
I have not used this bullet in the 45-70 but I have used it in the 6.8 and found that even with max loads of AA2200 no crimp was better, for velocity and accuracy.

Re: Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? [Re: cherokeetracker] #173153 09/21/2016 12:47 PM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I conducted some trials years ago with a 10" 44 Magnum and 10" 357 Maximum Contender barrel using W296 and crimps. In both barrels my accuracy suffered when I crimped in the bullet cannelure. The biggest surprise was my ES and Standard Deviation was larger when I crimped as opposed to a bullet just seated with neck tension only. Your mileage may vary.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: Crimping to increase velocity/pressure? [Re: Randominator] #173158 09/21/2016 1:03 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Randominator
I conducted some trials years ago with a 10" 44 Magnum and 10" 357 Maximum Contender barrel using W296 and crimps. In both barrels my accuracy suffered when I crimped in the bullet cannelure. The biggest surprise was my ES and Standard Deviation was larger when I crimped as opposed to a bullet just seated with neck tension only. Your mileage may vary.

Forgot to mention in my post about the 460 above, this is exactly what I did. Just enough crimp to keep the bullet from pulling out or pushing in using my fingers. My OAL was only .002" shy of the lands and grooves. Put a bullet in an empty case, put it in the chamber of the Encore, then slowly closed the encore to allow the bullet to seat itself into the case. Pulled it out, measured, backed off .002", then set the die accordingly. It worked out pretty good. That gun shoots WELL below MOA, and would hit 300 yards easily. Here is the first of many sub MOA groups I shot with it.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod