Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser #173774 10/08/2016 5:13 PM
3dcadman Offline OP
OP Offline

As my father wrote in Prelude To Joe's Story, I will be penning up my memories to share with you all soon. In fact I have a long over-due story on the 2014 Little Gun Invitational Antelope Hunt that will be ready as soon as I can get it approved by Gary with all the photos.

In any case, in this photo you can see my Bull Elk obscured by this beautiful Appaloosa. The big bull came to rest in peace in the middle of a very steep mountain, so my dad hired these two cowboys to pack him out.

Readers Digest version of the story, I killed my Bull with my T/C Encore .308 using my father's hybrid load. Spec's and better photos to come in my Elk Story soon.

Happy Hunting every one, and stay safe!

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: 3dcadman] #173775 10/08/2016 6:26 PM
nytracker Offline
addict
addict
Looking forward to the whole story congratulations.

Save liberals from them selves, stich their sphincter closed so they cant talk out their arse
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: nytracker] #173784 10/09/2016 3:28 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: nytracker
Looking forward to the whole story congratulations.

X2

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: 3dcadman] #173786 10/09/2016 5:32 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
From what I can see it looks like a nice bull and some beautiful country. Look forward to the rest of the story.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: pab1] #173808 10/10/2016 5:21 PM
PythonHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Congrats Joe!

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: PythonHunter] #173813 10/10/2016 11:18 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
must have been a relief to get some equine help! from what I can see, it looks like a dandy of a bull to boot!

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: BBwheelgunner] #173919 10/13/2016 8:45 PM
3dcadman Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm pleased to announce that my story 2014 Little Gun Invitational Antelope Hunt has been posted in the mean time; http://www.handgunhunt.com/promo/members...e%20Hunt%202014

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: 3dcadman] #173930 10/14/2016 2:23 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thanks! I enjoyed the antelope hunt article!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: pab1] #173939 10/14/2016 4:31 PM
SEAK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks for sharing the story

Enjoying to circle of life
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: SEAK] #173999 10/16/2016 1:55 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Nice to have local cowboys around when you need them. Looks like they have packed out Elk before from the equipment. Good help packing out the Elk can really help out with your memories about the adventure. "We met a couple great cowboys who helped us pack the elk out" makes a much better memory than the "I thought I was going to Die before we were done packing the Elk out version of the story".
Looking forward to the Full Story.

Bob

See You At The Range
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: Bob Roach] #174003 10/16/2016 4:21 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Bob, These cowboys pack out on average 15 to 20 elk per year; they post a sign on the main dirt road in that area.

Packing out elk on horseback is my favorite thing to do with my horses besides hunting with them. My horses were left at home for this trip.

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: Gregg Richter] #184889 10/13/2017 6:21 AM
3dcadman Offline OP
OP Offline
Fellows,

My difficult to write article has finally been published. Titled 'THE GREAT KING OF THE UNCOMPAHGRE FOREST' in the member articles Handgun Hunting section. It is as it was, very emotionally charged and sort of trapped in angst. To the novice I may come off as a difficult hunter not listening to or respecting my guide, but in truth having had such wonderful experiences with my father as my guide seeing such a different approach from one outfitter to the next took me by complete surprise, dare I say shock. Also having witnessed and assisted my dad guiding his other hunters as they successfully bag their trophies I just figured that all guides orchestrate the situation with their skills and prowess for the good of the hunter.

The 'don't fall behind, or you will miss out' situation that my guide had put me through as he virtually ran through the rocky mountainside after noises of game was downright irresponsible. Not to mention altitude sickness and other exposure factors that affect every hunter, regardless of physical condition, whom is not a local to the area they are hunting. Outfitters have to carry liability insurance in case their hunters get hurt; and that usually means your relatively safe as the hunter, or so I thought. Let this be a cautionary tale and serve as a gut check to make sure you keep your own priorities straight; bagging that trophy is not worth permanent injury or death.

Obviously everyone will have their own opinion on this matter, and my dad, Gregg, did screw up his own knee*(putting him one step closer to his eventual first knee replacement) getting his world record handgun mule deer. I for one refuse to derail my life while on vacation with foolish and unnecessary risk. In fact this is usually why most hunters end up hiring a guide, so they can experience an awesome and safe hunt without having had to put in the months of work scouting the hunting areas and preparation necessary for success.

I equate it to yuppies and a dude ranch; where people go to ride a horse for the first time safely without the logistics and expense of having to care for the horse. In fact Gregg has also owned a trail riding business and ran a dude string, bringing exhilarating memories to countless city slickers that they will never forget as they experienced Colorado's great beauty from horseback.

Sorry for the long wait, but as I said it took a lot out of me and I had to get it just right. Due to the emotional drain and circumstances the story is based on my own internal battles and thus is super focused on that. In fact there are other interesting details that I had forgotten about that never made the story like the first evening driving into camp it had been pouring rain. The downhill 2 track road leading into camp was gumbo mud. My father's big Suburban pulling a heavy dump trailer was loaded with the Grizzly and other gear, and almost jack-knifed a few times, even though the Suburban was locked in 4 wheel drive low. Or the fact that the rough trip in and out with the trailer caused a short in the trailer's wiring. To get home we had to duct tape some flashlights, covered in red lens tail light repair tape, onto the trailer for safety. Nevertheless I hope you enjoy the story.

Stay safe this hunting season and best of luck to all of you.

God bless,
Joe

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: 3dcadman] #184893 10/13/2017 1:14 PM
Spencer Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just read it, congrats on a great bull and time spent with Dad. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

NRA life member
Let's go make some memories
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: Spencer] #184915 10/14/2017 1:39 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
very nice......congratulations to you guys......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: jamesfromjersey] #185163 10/18/2017 7:49 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Joe I agree with you and am not trying to throw you a curve ball...

but let me say this:

Yes that buck "helped" me toward getting a new knee but it was getting close anyway and just a matter of time and a few more jobs done/hunting trips completed...

\:\)

Was it worth it?

;\)

Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: Gregg Richter] #185175 10/18/2017 2:51 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Joe,
I am very happy for both you and your dad.
Great article.
Good guides go at the level of physical capability of their hunter.
To do otherwise, is foolish.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Uncompahgre Bull Elk Teaser [Re: Ernie] #185176 10/18/2017 4:54 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
Joe, sounds like you had to over come a lot on that hunt & you did, great job! Being a good hunter doesn't make some one a good guide, they have to put the hunter first & go at their pace & adjust the hunt to their comfort zone. Sounds like that guy had a bit of a chip on his shoulder & maybe he was a bit intimidated by your dad's reputation, not sure but you guys over came a bad situation. Great write up.

Dick

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod