Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SandW,ruger, taurus? 44mag #10911 11/03/2005 5:42 PM
snewbie Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello, first, I guess I should introduce myself. I have been lurking around this and other firearm forums for a while now.
After much consideration, I have settled on a 44magnum revolver with a 6-8inch barrel(desert eagle is also tempting) for backpacking/extended survival to use as a self defense and hunting weapon. I want to mount a scope (burris 2-7x?)on it as well.
Three manufacturers come to mind: S and W, Ruger and Taurus. The s and w seem to be the most expensive, the ruger super redhawk already has scope rings on it, and the Taurus seems to be the least expensive.
Is there any difference in quality between them? Do you "get what you pay for"? Any advice?
Thanks

Crazy wannabe survivalist.
Re: SandW,ruger, taurus? 44mag [Re: snewbie] #10912 11/03/2005 6:03 PM
tx44hunter Offline
I've had nothing but trouble withh my Ragin Bull .44. I've replaced it with a Ruger SBH. I am very pleased with it so far. I really don't have an opinion on S&W.

GOOD LUCK,

Re: SandW,ruger, taurus? 44mag [Re: snewbie] #10913 11/04/2005 12:37 PM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I had nothing but trouble wih my Taurus 454, I sold it. The S&W and Rugers are both very nice guns, with the slight edge going to the S&W in quality. I have numerous guns by both manufacturer and would not hesitate to buy either again. BTW, if you buy the Ruger and mount a scope, remember to retighten the scope rings after shooting a few runs, they have a tendency to loosen at first.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: SandW,ruger, taurus? 44mag [Re: magman] #10914 11/04/2005 2:13 PM
tx44hunter Offline
I'd have to agree with magman about the the Ruger scope rings. I used a little loc-tite on the threads and haven't had any trouble since.

Re: SandW,ruger, taurus? 44mag [Re: snewbie] #10915 11/04/2005 9:54 PM
osok Offline
The S&W is a great gun. Better fit and finish and a great trigger right out of the box. I've never owned a 29-629 that didn't shoot well. They can be shot loose with steady feeding of hot loads, but I think it will take a lot before that happens. I'd compare these to a Cadillac if it was a car.

The Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk are well built, accurate guns to. I don't think they're very pretty copared to a Smith, and don't really care for the trigger they come with, but that can be slicked up by a qualified gunsmith. They will take heavy loads better than the Smith. If it was a car I'd compare it to a Checker Cab.

I have never owned a Taurus so I have no comment on these other than a friend of mine has one. He likes it. It has a shorter cylinder than S&W and Ruger and it can't hold 300gr long nose cast bullets. They stick out past the chambers and can't close the gun.

Either the Smith or Ruger will serve you well.

Re: SandW,ruger, taurus? 44mag [Re: osok] #10916 11/04/2005 11:14 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have had a taurus and they are IMHO JUNK!!!!

The S$W are nice and of good quality. Never owned one but have shot a few. I have a Ruger Redhawk and a Super Redhawk in 44. Both are tanks and shoot great. I like the grip of the SRH and the intergal scope mounts are an added plus.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod