Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Are you ready for Opening Day? #174188 10/20/2016 1:26 AM
PsTaN Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Over the last month I've set up 4 new stand sites, cleaned shooting lanes on exhisting sites, sighted in my guns with new handloads, and done a great deal of scouting. I've enjoyed every moment!

Aside from those already hunting, what have y'all been doing to get ready?

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174190 10/20/2016 1:52 AM
High Tide Offline
journeyman
journeyman
It has been in the low 90s here in the deep south in the past few weeks and our gun season doesn't come in until week before Thanksgiving. Then there's the rain--we haven't had any in a month and nothing measureable predicted for another week. Doesn't look like I will not even plant food plots this fall. So to answer your question...I can't wait for for opening day to get here--and not just for the hunt but for the weather change.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: High Tide] #174191 10/20/2016 2:16 AM
PsTaN Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'm in SW Alabama ... you're preaching to the choir!!!

Dry ain't it?

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Encore Pro Hunter

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174193 10/20/2016 2:49 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
rebuilt stands, moved a couple. last weekend was early mz season hot dry deer not moving much. Acorn's falling everywhere. gun season starts mid nov.going to load some and shoot all I can

junebug
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174194 10/20/2016 4:29 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I'm ready but I'm in a muzzleloader mood.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: pab1] #174196 10/20/2016 9:25 AM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My son and I have put up ten new stands this year and removed three. We have about 21 stands in place now on ten different properties. We have six trail cameras out at several properties and have been checking them since early August.

It is only bow season here but I have killed two does and passed on one other doe with it. We had a short muzzleloader season in Caldwell county and I passed on a good doe and a two year old eight pointer with my CVC OPTIMA V2 while holding out for one of three good eight pointers at that property. That was the toughest thing I have done this season so far because they were thirty yard give me's.

I have also been shooting my revolvers, my contender and my Optima V2 muzzleloader.

We have been very busy. I hope all the work pays off this season.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174199 10/20/2016 11:01 AM
High Tide Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: PsTaN
I'm in SW Alabama ... you're preaching to the choir!!!

Dry ain't it?

Yeah 'tis...on a positive note, one of my former players dropped a monster here yesterday with his bow. Haven't talked to him yet but saw the pictures. I'm guessing a feeder and water hole were in the general vicinity.
;\)

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: High Tide] #174201 10/20/2016 11:54 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
We have 4 Double Wide Ladder Stands. We have changed the ratchet straps on 3 of them. The Fourth stand is my wifes. I have it down doing a rebuild. I had some additional 3/4 X 3/4 tubing welded to the top in a Box shape, and added a couple braces to it. Then a new plywood top. I have it all painted ready to go back up in a better location.

I brush hogged around my brothers stand location.

The corner stand location got brush hogged, and I spent a day finishing cleaning out the fence row between my property and the neighbors hay field. I have been cleaning up this location little by little for over 30 years. It is now done, and I can keep both sides of the fence brush hogged in the future.

I have been working with the wifes 357 Maximum MGM barrel for her Contender. I still need to make an order with Heather at UltraDot West for a new MatchDot II sight for it.

I have also worked with my 35 Bullberry Contender barrel some with 180 XTP's.

I still need to brush hogg my stand location in the bottom, and trim up a little more brush.

I refilled all the Stump Licks with new Mineral Mix ( Stock Salt, Red Trace Mineral, Dicalcium Phosphate and Granulated Molassus). The Stump Licks are portable, made from hollow log sections that will hold a 5 gallon bucket or more of the mineral mix. I also put out a new White Salt Block at all the Stump Licks. I still have 3 Trophy Rocks and 3 Salt Blocks in the barn I need to put out.

And last my local dealer sold a guy an Optima V2 Pistol in 50 Cal several months ago. The guy is wanting to sell it for $250 still unfired. I am planning on picking it up Monday. I think I have a fair off brand 30mm Red Dot I might put on it. I also have a new 2.5 - 7 Burris in the box I could use on it. I can surely get it up and running before the middle of November. I will probably need to check on some Triple 7 or BuckHorn 209 for it and order some Sabots. I hate giving $30 Plus a can for the BuckHorn powder.

I am making progress getting ready.

Bob

See You At The Range
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: Bob Roach] #174203 10/20/2016 1:11 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You will like the Optima V2 and I would put the Burris on it.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174210 10/20/2016 8:40 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Debating between building an ark or going for scuba certification...

After over 18 inches of rainfall in September and then an early October visit from an unwelcome visitor named Matthew, it's a bit moist in my neck of the woods.

Exhibit A - a cell cam pic from one of my hunting buddies

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: SChunter] #174213 10/20/2016 10:56 PM
Steve in PA Offline
Have not been out in the woods yet, but plan on getting out soon. Our gun season for bear and deer here in PA starts towards the end of November.

I have been out to the range with a new 14" barrel in .44 Magnum for my T/C Contender as well as shooting my 14" 7-30 Waters. Trying to decide it I want to take the mew .44 Magnum or stick with the 7-30 Waters. That 7-30 is just so darn accurate!!!!

Also hit the range with my 7.5" Super Blackhawk, also in .44 Magnum. I carry this when I'm going to be hunting the really thick stuff where a 50 yard shot would be considered a long shot.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: Steve in PA] #174214 10/20/2016 11:37 PM
Brenden Offline
addict
addict
I'm very excited this year. Haven't been in the woods due to work, but I have been honing my revolver skills at the range. Season will probably be too warm, and we don't have any acorns, but it's a week off from work!

I've got the 454 and 41 good to go, and the 45-70 is shooting good with the 400 grain Speer. I added a 3-12 Burris to the 338 Federal, but haven't shot it yet.

I'm going to try to take a deer with each of my wheel guns. A buddy of mine will probably go late season doe hunting with me and bring out the long guns for some ridge to ridge action.

Exciting times!

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: Brenden] #174215 10/21/2016 12:24 AM
PsTaN Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Very cool ... thanks to those that have replied! Keep 'em coming. I suspect I'll be clearing my last ATV trail this weekend.

Many people don't understand the time and work that go into a successful hunt.

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Encore Pro Hunter

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174216 10/21/2016 12:29 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
My deer season is dependent on ranchers wanting deer culled off of their property.
General gun season doesn't start until next month. But, MLD (Management Land Deer) Season has already opened and one rancher has asked me to take some deer. I asked if we could wait until it cools off a bit. Still in the 80s and 90s daytime temp.
When it does, it's pretty easy. Just stalk around or set in an existing blind until I find an acceptable deer meeting his requirement (age/size/points).

Not being a land owner or lease holder, I just hunt where the opportunity presents itself.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: Zee] #174218 10/21/2016 1:17 AM
Boot Offline
addict
addict
Our modern firearms season opens this Saturday. I literally just leased some land to hunt last week. I'm not really ready, but you can bet I'll be there trying! It's actually a piece of land that I hunted before in a hunting club, so I am familiar with the lay of the land, but have had zero time to trim limbs, bush hog, or get any kind of camp set up. I suppose I'll be "roughing it" in a climber or on the ground in a creek bottom this season. Good luck to all, whenever opening day is in your neck of the woods!

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: SChunter] #174229 10/21/2016 1:41 PM
High Tide Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: SChunter
Debating between building an ark or going for scuba certification...

After over 18 inches of rainfall in September and then an early October visit from an unwelcome visitor named Matthew, it's a bit moist in my neck of the woods.

Exhibit A - a cell cam pic from one of my hunting buddies

I've been wondering how y'all have been making in your area. Hope everything will be back to normal soon and that the M&M boys (moccasins and mosquitoes)aren't too bad in the aftermath.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: Boot] #174230 10/21/2016 1:46 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
My dad and I got the treestand ready and set up two blinds Sunday. We've trimmed limbs, mowed our two successful plots, and I've been monitoring my trail cameras to see if any good bucks move in as the rut approaches. The only thing I need to do is practice a bit more with my 460 and Optima, and make a few more handloads for my 300 Encore.

Our muzzleloader season starts November 5th, and gun season begins November 19th. But first, I'm going to take my cousin on the youth hunt next weekend.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: Chance Weldon] #174231 10/21/2016 1:52 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Chance, our muzzleloader season opens Nov 5th also. Good luck with your new Optima.

Michael Joe Moore
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: REDHAWK1954] #174234 10/21/2016 1:56 PM
WiseGuy Offline
addict
addict
Dur that looks like half of my pair of wood ducks there!

Bigger ain't always better....according to who???
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: WiseGuy] #174248 10/21/2016 7:09 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
Pretty much. Got lucky this year, usually have to spend at least a day or two clearing trails but looks okay this year. Did all that last year and then was sick all hunting season. I always look forward to blackpowder season the most but now that it's finally starting to cool off, I might pick a few cool days to spend in the woods with the bow. I might make a pre-emptive strike and spend a day shooting squirrels though.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: Craig44] #174256 10/22/2016 1:55 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
My season starts tomorrow morning. My wife and I will be looking for both cows and bulls. We have four tags, but only looking to fill two.

You asked about preparation. In preparation, over the last year since I came up with the idea of hunting with a flintlock (thanks to Briarhopper and his son), I have studied, acquired, and learned how to use a flintlock rifle. I went through learning how to correctly knap flint, how to clean a rifle after putting true black powder through it, and how to adjust my sights with a file, hammer, and punch. I made my own possibles bag, and three smaller bags for a tool kit, round balls, and a fire kit. Made them out of the bull elk hide that my wife got three years ago. Made patches, round balls, and lube. Got the most accurate load figured out, and then put over 400 rounds of that exact load through the rifle. I now have full confidence out to 100 yards that I can hit a piece of paper dang near every time. At 25 yards, I can now make one hole. 50 yards is about a 2" group.

For my wife, I loaded many rounds for her 270 WSM and she has been killing targets at 200 yards. Our confidence is through the roof, we just need it to all come together.

See ya all in a week!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174259 10/22/2016 2:27 AM
cont35bb Offline
Good question. I may be able to deer hunt (maybe bear too) at home in PA this year. I usually am working in the SW ,as my TX based employer warrants. BUT ,a physical & some blood tests while closing out a NY job required more tests, x-rays, MRI's & eventually the dreaded biopsy. The results came in on the first day at the next TX posting,,, You are positive in 4 of the 14, and we need to talk !!Ok , so 3 weeks of light duty then home for Labor Day & onward w/ bone scans , consults, research and decision making time ! To the chase, surgery went well last week & I'm on the mend. Since I had All this free time between all the "stuff" proceeding surgery, I was busy. The count of groudhogs taken at the local dairy farm went up to 64,all but 3 taken w/ .22RF/.22Mag. A few w/the TC Contender. Lots of reloading & range work. A visit to the folks farm proceeding surgery & a walk in the woods w/ Dad lit the fire for a new stand to post on ,and easy walk on a firewood trail close to new cover created from the loss of the beechtree stand there. JUST IN CASE, I was around & able to hunt. NOW ,,, what handgun,,,if I can see it & confirm legal buck most of my scoped revolvers (44,45) would do. I'm still behind on live game w/ TC Contender in .357Rem Max,30-30 (& Ack-Imp) 35Rem,35Bulbry &45Colt. Not going to consider the Encores. Well,, still have to heal a good bit yet but I'm driven !! And I've got ALL of them dialed in !

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: cont35bb] #174260 10/22/2016 2:42 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Good luck on your recovery.Went down that C trail 2 years ago and figured I would heal better sitting in the woods where I belonged than at home.This year it was rotator cuff surgery and I will be in the woods again where I belong. Hang in there ,it will get better.
Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!

junebug
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: junebug] #174263 10/22/2016 4:22 AM
abner Offline
I can't wait for opening day. Unfortunately opening day for me is 2017. My season is over for the year. I hunted only in California this year. My season started in Aug. with a cow elk hunt for Tule elk, then my antelope, bear, and deer in Sept. Now I get to sit back and hear of all the bulls and bucks you all are going to kill. Good luck.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: junebug] #174274 10/22/2016 10:55 PM
cont35bb Offline
JuneBug , thanks for the well wishes. I've gone through one rotator op years ago. Now due for next one ! But even worse my MRI showed the reason for my left hip pain. It's worn out!! Well I've got to heal from one thing at a time . Still contemplating on which "handtool" to take for a possible woods sit. Got till Sat. b4 Thanksgiving for PA Bear ( If pheasable ). The Antlered Dear comes in Mon. after holiday. Have had several Blackies stroll through farm over the years , twice in season no less! Of course the hunters were counties away ! I really enjoy this site ,but hunt & peck typing has kept me from posting many times. Good People here. I'm just an hour or so from lots of JFJ's PA exploits & I enjoy catching up.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: cont35bb] #174283 10/23/2016 4:32 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
This was the second rotator cuff this year. First was early this year and had to get some use back before the second could be done. Like a lot of others i have been hard on my body over the years.I always take two guns with me. One scoped for the long stuff .35 Rem Contender and my 4 5/8th Ruger.45 colt for inside 75 yds. Contender will be easier to run with one hand. My typing skills are like yours as I hunt& peck too,so don't let that stop you from posting. Hope things go well for you, and you have a safe and succesful hunting year.

junebug
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: junebug] #174291 10/24/2016 1:18 AM
cont35bb Offline
Well felt good enough to venture slowly down into the ManCave
Handled a few toys & slid a few cleaning patches through some of my Rugers. I scored on a SBH Hunter in .45 some years back in NC. It was already Magnaported & had Weaver adapter in box. Found this on my last weekend of my project there. It was waiting at my gunsmith's when I got home the next week. I must add, some time ago my Tax Accountant CEO/COO/VP(Wife)commented that she should add Ted (gunsmith)on as a dependant, as there was a substantial amount of $$$ in receipts w/ his name on them!! Worked a couple good loads up for the SBHH and w/ a 2x6 Bushnell Trophy dialed it in at 75yrds. I won't shoot beyond that w/ any of my revolvers anyway at game. May use it as primary & a TC as the field edge gun. All I have to now is pick what barrel. I finished a shotgun cleanup for an elderly lady at my woodchuck honey hole. I asked my "Queen/Chauffer" for a lift to return the gun , as I picked it up B4 surgery. The lady watched me "peepy stepping" up her sidewalk w/ a gun case & my "manbag." In my "leisure pants" I must have been a sight! I told her I was practicing winter ice walking for safety .That was my outing for the day. Hopefully next week or so w Dr's ok I can drive again and get some more trigger time in. Till next time , cont35bb.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: cont35bb] #174292 10/24/2016 1:31 AM
PsTaN Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I wasn't able to head out to the camp this weekend. However, I loaded up the box of .44 hardcast I intend to hunt this year. Since I've got a month and most of my heavy work is done, I may play with some 200 XTP for the 10mm to keep myself occupied.

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Encore Pro Hunter

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: cont35bb] #174294 10/24/2016 1:37 AM
PsTaN Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: cont35bb
Well felt good enough to venture slowly down into the ManCave

Hope you get to feeling better and Doc turns you loose!

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Encore Pro Hunter

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: PsTaN] #174302 10/24/2016 3:36 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Two years ago before the C surgery I attached a fold down shooting table to the back deck rail.I had built a bullet trap for .22 and had set it off the back deck at 23 yds by a tree. This has allowed me to shoot .22 cb's [quiet]and a few L.R.to keep me sane after surgeries.Just a 1x12 hinged to the rail about 2 ft. long with a 1x3 to prop it up.Drop on a couple of sandbags and its ready.The back end can be lowered by adjusting the angle of the back leg which has come in handy.Took the Contender .35 Rem.and the .45 out tonight to confirm zeros.Ready as I will ever be. Had a couple of failure's to fire with the .35 Contender .It had a hammer extention on it so I took it off and no more problems [it was slowing the hammer just enough to not pop a cap]. Will put in a new hammer spring soon as I can get one just to be sure but its good to go for now.

Last edited by junebug; 10/24/2016 3:46 AM.

junebug
Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: junebug] #174312 10/24/2016 12:27 PM
bullsi1911 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I guess I'm ready. CVA Scout in .243 is sighted in, blinds are cleared out, feeders full... Need to check the cameras, see whEts coming in to the corn.

Yet, I don't feel ready

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: junebug] #174314 10/24/2016 12:44 PM
cont35bb Offline
PsTaN ,thanks. junebug, I lucked into a SS S14" 35Rem barrel some yrs back in NY state, for low $$. 35Rems just don't command high resale at least in my travel areas. I myself shied away because .357Herrett were available more so. After playing w/2 Herretts for a while, I ran across a .375JDJ w/ lots of extras so that had my attention for a few years.It also cost me a few $ in clinic visits for elbow/ wrist problems! The JDJ(cartridge) is still holding a spot in the cabinent ,but it's grown to 26" & marries up w/ an Encore frame. The .35Rem mentioned earlier is one of the good ones. This barrel has never FTF w/ any load I fed it yet, be it factory or handload. Only thing I pout about is its rimless case, that's why I jumped into Herretts & the 35 BB. A potential for misshap w/ my 260 Rem on a COLD morn in deer season caused me to pause & reflect on rimmed cartridges for ease of extraction. During the past few years of the great recession/depression of ammo & components I've acquired a good bit of .35cal bullets from gunshows, closeouts, & blem sales. Along the way I discovered LVR powder. Man does that set these .35 Mid Bores & 30-30 family on fire ! I grabbed an 8lb. keg when I could. No reason to buy other for 307Win/,35Rem,35BB,375 Win or my 30-30 family. When conditions are right w/ throating that allows longer bullet seating or longer bullets and a chrono to assist, LVR powder takes you from naturally aspiered to turbo charged. The bonus is normal(relatively) pressure & muzzle blast compared to pushing the envelope w/older conventional powders. Well enough for this am, two clinic/Dr visits today & moving forward !Till next we meet ;cont35bb.

Re: Are you ready for Opening Day? [Re: cont35bb] #174323 10/24/2016 4:47 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
This 35 barrel holds a special place with me as it belonged to a brother who is gone.Hokey and sentimental as that may be it is also a shooter.I also have a 358 JDJ if I need more horsepower.I use RE7 which works well.
Luck to ya on everything this year.
It can be a lonely road ,just keep putting one foot in front of the other and believe.

junebug

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 53 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod