Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Never stop trying #174425 10/26/2016 6:23 PM
GG Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I wanted to write this post to share, mostly with the newer hunters, but also to reiterate what most seasoned hunters already know but sometimes let their brains get in the way of.
I spent this past week hunting my lease in the Low Country of South Carolina, only several minutes from where the forum did their Collins hunt this year.
This hunt was slow for me with only catching glimpses of deer in the woods for most of the trip.
On the first day the weather was forecasted to be perfect. There was a strong cold front coming through and the weather was expected to be in the upper 30's for a couple mornings. This time of year that could be just the ticket for bouncing these deer into the rut, or at least starting the game.
On the morning of the last full day I had still not seen much. The temp was in the lower 40's, as it had been in for the last couple mornings. I finally had a couple does walk into a trail on my right headed toward the main shooting lane. I had not seen many deer yet and even though it was that prime time of year I was full ready to shoot a doe and take home some good meat. When the deer walked across the road they didn?t take their normal route to the main shooting lane but instead walked in the opposite direction and away from me. I would have hoped they came out into the main lane but just as good there are some does around to attract the bucks. Approximately two minutes later, while still looking down the trail to the right the glimpse of a deer running across the road catches my eye. I turn to see what appeared to be an antlered deer ducking into the woods toward where the does had walked. I was definitely a little bummed to at least not be able to see what the deer looked like. I knew from the game cameras that, although there were no monsters crossing this stand, there were several 8?s frequenting the area. About 5 minutes later I see the same deer run back across the road in the opposite direction. This time I could see he was an 8 point and a lease legal deer. Wishing I would have been in a position with my gun to stop him with a whistle I put my gun up and waited for him to cross a third time. Couple minutes later two does step out then quickly run off. Good sign. Things seemed to be working out perfectly. Well, things did work out perfectly. The buck steps out into the road and instead of running stopped and started feeding, presenting a text book 115+ yard shot. I get on him and prepare for the shot. At the crack of the gun I immediately feel like I pulled the shot. I have shot a lot of rounds and know that feeling. When I look up the deer is running toward me and did not appear to be hit. Another bad sign. The deer tucks into the woods in the opposite direction he was facing with zero noise as he ran through the dried leaves and broken pine branches. Yet another poor sign. I was certain I had missed when the shot went off and all the other signs firmed that feeling.
I gave the deer a couple minutes hoping to hear something in the woods or maybe see him cross one of the trails. I got down and looked for blood for a while with negative results. I walked into the woods for a while and found no signs. I was bummed out to say the least. I had seen very little movement and was hoping for a doe but instead missed the opportunity at a less than difficult shot on a buck.

So, knowing the deer were moving late into the day and hunters were likewise sitting late, I backed out and went back to camp. I texted my buddy what had happened and of course my wife.
Where am I going with all this? Couple hours later, 4 hours after shooting, we were driving around the farm checking cameras and throwing corn. We decided when we headed back to the area I had missed earlier we would give some fresh, unemotional eyes some time to look a little, even though I was certain I had missed. We get out of the truck, walk about 50 yards into the woods and there he was, my missed buck. I had pulled the shot low and he had done a large loop and was in the opposite direction he had run off in.
The cold weather had the deer nice and cool with no worries about spoilage.
I only write this to emphasize that not only in hunting but in life sometimes all signs and experience may point to one thing but there's always a chance. I have been around a lot of hunters who may not have even gone and looked for blood the first time if they thought they had missed. Some will even hide that they ever shot and missed.
I initially looked hard, but eventually gave into my gut feeling that I had missed. I don't know about others but it would have been heart breaking to find the deer two days later after the buzzards and yotes got to him.
Always look, and look hard. Sorry you may bugger up your spot, but It's our only job out there as hunters. Find what you shoot at and account for your shot.
Thanks for reading.

Re: Never stop trying [Re: GG] #174427 10/26/2016 6:25 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Good story.
Thanks for sharing.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Never stop trying [Re: Ernie] #174430 10/26/2016 7:50 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I like you belive we owe it to any and all game we hunt our best and total effort. Glad you found your deer.

junebug
Re: Never stop trying [Re: junebug] #174432 10/26/2016 7:52 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
cool story and good advice.

Re: Never stop trying [Re: tradmark] #174435 10/26/2016 7:57 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
cool story and good advice.

I agree completely!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Never stop trying [Re: Whitworth] #174438 10/26/2016 8:30 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
it worked out for a good ending.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Never stop trying [Re: GG] #174449 10/26/2016 11:05 PM
cont35bb Offline
Right you are to "endeavor to persevere" ! Sticking to a game animal trail at times brought wet sore knees on occasion after deer or bear in inhospitable places ( are there any other places? )We do owe it to the game & ourselves to stick to it. Even textbook shots can have you headscratching & questioning your lineage at times.

Re: Never stop trying [Re: GG] #174451 10/26/2016 11:57 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Good on ya!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Never stop trying [Re: s4s4u] #174454 10/27/2016 12:44 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Great story!

Re: Never stop trying [Re: racksmasher1] #174617 10/29/2016 12:08 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
Very good advice. Sometimes animals don't show any sign of being hit, but I always check for blood or other signs in the direction the animal went. Last year I shot a black bear with my 480 Ruger. The shot rolled him so I knew he was hit. We found him piled up 40 yards from where I shot him, but there was absolutely no blood trail. Also watch and listen when an animal runs off. I immediately make a mental note of where the animal was last seen, using a tree, a rock, a path, or whatever permanent landmark there is.

Re: Never stop trying [Re: ruger4570] #174883 11/02/2016 4:03 AM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
Nice read. Thank you.

~BT~

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod