Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 #175412 11/17/2016 2:42 AM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
The planning for this hunt started when my friend, jamesfromjersey, give me a call after his Fall 2015 hunt. James went on and on about how fun the hunt was and the great camaraderie among the 50 handgun hunters there. At the time, I couldn't commit to the hunt because I was waiting on draw results for a moose tag in Maine. For the next few months, while waiting on the moose draw, James frequently called and discussed the upcoming hunt and reminded me the hunt was booking up fast. Well, after the results were posted and I didn't draw, I decide to try out the Reeder HHC. I called The Lodge to book a spot and to find out about what they had available. I was interested in hunting ram, with Mouflon being my priority and Black Hawaiian being my second choice. They assured me they had respectable examples of both and I would be happy with either choice.

Once booking my hunt, the decision of what weapon for the task was next. My first choice was my Freedom Arms M654 .41 magnum topped with a 4x Leupold shooting a Barnes 180xpb over a max dose of H110.

Just as I was getting ready to start my field position shooting practices, a friend contacted me about a Mag-na-port Stalker he found in his safe and being he had another one, this one would fell more love from my safe. I couldn't argue the point, especially since I'd wanted one for years but never committed to one. After receiving a picture, that sealed the deal.

Although it looked good, I had visions of it looking great. So, I had the grip frame shipped to Lone Star Custom Grips for some new shoes made from sheep horn and the rest of the gun shipped to me. While waiting on the grips to be made, I was in search of a 4x Leupold to top off the package. A fellow forum member happened to have one laying lonely in his safe, so I found it a new home. I mounted it to the frame with some Weigand mag rings and anxiously waited for the grip frame. The grip frame arrived the Friday prior to the hunt and Sunday evening I put it all together and got it ready to zero.

Being I didn't have time for load development, I grabbed some loads I use in my Freedom Arms. It's a Hornady 240xtp mag over 24.0gr of H110. After firing the first five rounds through the Stalker at 25 yards, I felt this combo would do fine for now.

After some minor windage adjustments and checking my POI at 50 yards (2.5" high) I was set for the hunt; after field position practice of course.

This hunt is held twice a year (spring and fall) at The Wilderness Hunt Lodge in Monterey, TN. Now I don't have very much experience with hunting at preserves (having only hunted at eight different preserves), but I think I've hunted enough of different types to form an opinion on the different calibers of preserves. I'll be frank, not all of them have been my cup of tea. Up until 2004, all my hunts were fair chase hunts and mostly on public land so, like a lot of other hunters, I was a bit skeptic. Some of these preserve "hunts" aren't hunts at all, but some can be quiet challenging while others have been down right hard. Some things that come into play are: size of preserve; topography; amount and type of cover; species hunted; and the method of hunting you choose. The Wilderness has four hunting areas, all with mountainous terrain. The four areas are 1100+ acres, 1000+ acres, 900+ acres and 400+ acres. All that being said, my hunting experience at The Wilderness Hunt Lodge was challenging and rewarding.

I arrived early on Wednesday afternoon so I could get a good bedding spot and learn a little about the place. After meeting with one of the guides, he took me to the lodge I'd be staying in. It was a very nice lodge! The best I've ever stayed in at a preserve.

A few more hunters arrived later that evening and the biggest majority coming in on Thursday. It ended up being over 40 handgun hunters at this event.

Thursday morning, after a big home cooked breakfast, I headed out in pursuit of Mouflon ram. One thing I really liked about this place is it is mainly spot and stalk or still hunting, without a guide; more of a do it yourself hunt. I covered lots of ground that morning without seeing anything that resembled a sheep. I seen several wild hogs, Fallow deer and even a couple Water Buffalo. I was having doubts about sheep in that area. At noon I made my way back to the lodge for another great home cook meal. While discussing the mornings events with a few fellow hunters that had hunted there several times, they recommended starting my afternoon hunt from the other side of the mountain. This is where the more rugged and steep portions of that pieces of property was located and the type areas the sheep preferred.

Well after a fantastic lunch, I headed back out to cover some new ground. As soon as I entered the gate, I started ascending up some rugged, but beautiful, Smokey Mountain slopes. Right off, I felt like I would see sheep this go around. Now I'm not doing the minimalist style of handgun hunting, with just a handgun and pair of bino's.....no...I've got that, plus a day pack with all essentials and paraphernalia for my video camera along with camera and tripod. My intent was to film myself on a spot and stalk sheep hunt, which was proving to be a tough chore in these rugged mountains. After about 2 hours of still hunting and glassing the slopes, I finally glassed the top of a sheep's back just over the crest of a steep slope. It was feeding and wasn't interested in showing it head for a while. When it finally did, I new this was the ram I wanted! He had great mass and that telltale heart shaped horn sweep of a Mouflon, just what I was looking for.

The wind was prefect and the ram had no clue I was in his zone. As I was setting up my camera and getting everything situated, a band of five rams, that I had no idea were anywhere around, came feeding over the crest of the ridge spur I was on. it wasn't any rams I was interested in, but it was an exciting close encounter. They got uncomfortably close and one finally got my wind and they spooked and ran back the direction they came. I quickly focused my attention back to the Mouflon that was 65 yards straight upwind, hoping he wouldn't spook. he watched as the other rams ran off but didn't spook. I once again started getting everything set of for the shot, the whole time the ram is moving closers towards me. Just when everything seemed to be coming together, he bedded down, with only the top of his head gear showing...The wait was on.

After about a 15 minute wait, the ram stood up an was looking up the mountain as if something startled him. As I'm getting the camera turned on, in focus and ram in the frame, I'm also situating my shooting sticks and settling in. I double checked the view finder, all was good....cocked the hammer on the Stalker and was settling for the shot. Just as I was putting my finger on the trigger, three orange vest appeared in my scope! Three hunter came over the crest of the ridge right in my line of sight! My heart flutter and I got weak in the knees! At this point the ram spooked and ran straight down hill toward me. Once he was about 15 yards past me he stopped and I could here the hunters talking about the ram; whether to shoot or not. At this point, I'm as flat as I can get to the ground and tucked in tight behind the tree! Praying they didn't shoot! Fortunately, they were in pursuit of hogs and didn't shoot. But, the ram is now down wind of me and he got a nose full. He blew and hightailed it with authority!

After my heart settled and I made my presences known to the other hunters, I headed in the direction the ram went; but not really expecting to see it again. I noticed a well worn trail running parallel with the steep ridge that I hoped maybe the ram used. I slowly made my way, stopping every few yards glassing. About 300 yards later, the trail came to a small pond on the side of a ridge, it was covered with hog tracks and wallows. I slowly made my way across the short levy and began glassing a ridge spur in front of me. After about 3 minutes of glassing, I noticed something bedded down 50 yards from me, but couldn't tell what is was due to vegetation and shadows. After a short time, it picked its head up and looked around. To my disbelief, it was the ram I was after! Now I'm scrambling to get my camera set up and get ready for a shot. About this time, I'm hearing some shuffling and grunting coming from the ridge above the pond..."Please don't come down to this pond!" Sure enough, a sounder of 15-20 hogs came running down, splashing, wallowing, grunting, squealing and fighting! More than the ram could stand. He jumped up and gone in the blink of an eye. I searched for him again till dark, with no luck.

After a great supper....

...Gary Reeder held a big gathering where he has a drawing for prizes; everything from t-shirts and caps to custom knives and encore barrels were given away. Lots of custom guns and other eye candy displayed for everyone to fondle.

Everyone went home with a prize.

Friday morning we were greeted with another fantastic breakfast and after getting a full belly, I headed back out for that Mouflon. I started my hunt in the general area the ram was headed the previously day. I put in a lot of time glassing the rough areas and making my way to the summit of the steepest mountain, hoping he may be up there.

Well I made it up just to see some beautiful scenery, but no ram. It was now time to head back for lunch and a much needed rest.

After lunch one of the guides told me he had spotted a very good Black Hawaiian on another piece of property, if I was interested. He said if we hurried, I might get a chance to see him while he was in a pasture along the road. So, James and I hopped in and went for a look. Sure enough he was there and boy was he a whooper! I was very tempted to shift my focus to him, but it had gotten personal with the Mouflon I wanted. I decided it would be him or I'd go home empty handed.

That afternoon I set out to the area I'd last hunted. I'd planned to continue making my way the direction I thought he may have went. I did see a few ram early on in that area so I was feeling a little optimistic about that spot. I climbed and glassed all evening, seeing a few rams, hogs and Fallow. It wasn't till 30 minutes of last filming/shooting light that I glass what looked like my Mouflon bedded down about 200 yards away on the side of a steep slope. I hastily, but cautiously, made my way to get within 44 mag range. I made it to within 75 yards and began setting up my camera. While getting set up, a big hog came running over the ridge to my right. It pasted within 20 yards of me with a purpose in mine. This made the ram stand, but he spook. As I was getting settled in to shoot, what spooked the hog came slipping over the same ridge! It was another hunter and more than the ram could stand and over the ridge he went. "Can't have nothing!" is what went through my mind.

Saturday morning we were welcomed with another fine breakfast. soon after I headed out for the last morning hunt. The forecast was showing 30% chance of rain, so I opted to leave my camera gear in the truck. I didn't want to chance getting moisture in an expensive camera, plus it would make it a little easier getting around in those mountains. Well, not long after leaving the truck, it started sprinkling and that made me feel better about leaving the camera. It lasted about 10 minutes and didn't rain another drop the rest of the day.

I focused my attention on the steepest slope on the mountain, the spot I had no business climbing the day before. Slowly making my way around the base of the slope, I stopped every few feet to glass....slip forward....and glass some more. At around 10 o'clock, I spotted something feeding 200 yards away at the crest of the ridge....and it was him! I couldn't believe it! I've got another chance, hopefully I can make it happen this time. After a 30 minute stalk and closing the distance to 60 yards, I got set up for the shot. I took my time so I could settle down a bit and make the shot count. While I was settling down, the ram decided to bed down, which was fine with me. The wind was right, he was calm, I was calm and had all day to wait.
I set my backpack up between some roots at the base of a tree for a rock solid field rest. I went ahead and donned my eye and ear pro so I'd be ready when he stood.

(Look closely in the scope and you can see the crosshairs are on the ram)

I never thought lying down on the ground could wear you out, but at such a step angle it was a constant battle to stay put! After a 30 minute knap (not me, the ram), a fallow deer made its way over the top of the ridge just 15 yards the other side of the Mouflon. I'm thinking, "Oh no, not again!" But the ram didn't startle, he just stood up. While he was stretching, I was cocking the hammer. All I need was for him to turn one way or the other...he chose left, so at 61 yards I sent a 240xtp through his left shoulder and exiting his right shoulder. The ram dropped at the fall of the hammer and was dead before he stopped his 30 yard slide down the slope.

Patience and persistence paid off and I scored on a beautiful Mouflon. But, not only did I come home with a beautiful trophy, I meet some great people (a few forum members here) and made some new friends. I'll definitely be back.

Last edited by KRal; 11/18/2016 11:43 PM. Reason: Fixed pic

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: KRal] #175413 11/17/2016 3:30 AM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
Great write up! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: KRal] #175414 11/17/2016 3:35 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Congrat's, Kim. You sure put your time in on that one. Thanks for sharing.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: s4s4u] #175415 11/17/2016 3:42 AM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
Excellent! Congrats. That's a good looking ran for sure.

~BT~
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: Boartuff] #175450 11/17/2016 11:28 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
great write up! That is where I go for therapy and I am way past due. I have never been there when it wasn't a real hunt fence or no fence. I love the log lodge. All the boys up there are great. My water buffalo dumped about 2 gallons of pee on Eric. He wasn't happy but it was the talk of the lodge for the rest of the weekend.

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: reflex264] #175451 11/18/2016 1:28 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Nice ram Kim,and a well written story.

junebug
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: junebug] #175462 11/18/2016 4:29 PM
Randominator Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Great write up Kim and an excellent trophy! I enjoyed meeting you and the Saturday evening BS session! I hope to hunt with you again sometime soon.
And no, Gerald didn't let me borrow his knife. I didn't ask as letting me "borrow" his land was a knidness I can never repay.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: Randominator] #175464 11/18/2016 7:24 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
you earned those horns as sure as a man who works an 8 hour three day shift..... maybe its time to give Mitch a call for some gumbo

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: jamesfromjersey] #175467 11/18/2016 7:37 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Congrats on a successful handgun hunt -- well done!

Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: Mark Hampton] #175474 11/18/2016 11:05 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
KRal,
Good for you!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: Randominator] #175475 11/18/2016 11:47 PM
KRal Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Randominator
Great write up Kim and an excellent trophy! I enjoyed meeting you and the Saturday evening BS session! I hope to hunt with you again sometime soon.
And no, Gerald didn't let me borrow his knife. I didn't ask as letting me "borrow" his land was a knidness I can never repay.

Likewise! Yeah.....I guess after borrowing his land and killing a stud deer, it might have been a little much to ask for his knife... LOL

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: KRal] #175488 11/19/2016 12:02 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Kim - strong work as always!!

Great write-up and thanks for sharing!

Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: SChunter] #175501 11/19/2016 6:30 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Looks like it was a lot of fun! Congratulations!

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: Chance Weldon] #175556 11/20/2016 10:09 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
great photo with your ram in the crosshair..... he had no idea you were there.....

Life member-NRA-SCI
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: jamesfromjersey] #175557 11/20/2016 10:14 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You will know what puts a smile on Kim`s face when you see what he`s looking at in this photo......

Life member-NRA-SCI
Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: jamesfromjersey] #175562 11/21/2016 2:24 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Great write up Kim, good looking gun too!

Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: racksmasher1] #175563 11/21/2016 2:34 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
Great story with some great pictures. Congrats on a job well done.

Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: ruger4570] #175653 11/23/2016 6:15 PM
rougerocco Offline
Awesome story! persistence pays off.

Re: Reeder Handgun Hunter Challenge Fall 2016 [Re: rougerocco] #175656 11/23/2016 6:57 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
Great job on the hunting, shooting, and write-up Kim! I enjoyed reading all about it. Thanks for sharing!

Darrell

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 48 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod