Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A challenge from a member in my hunting club #10994 11/05/2005 3:11 AM
Bama Offline OP
OP Offline
My fist passion is turkey hunting, but really any type of hunting will do. I join several hunting clubs primarily to turkey hunt and also have acess to several tracs of private land. I was at one of the clubs last weekend and went to help a young guy (20 yo) to hang a lock on stand. I was really going for moral support since I am still recovering from my hip replacement and walking slowly with a cane. Anyway the lay of the land is creek bottoms with over grown clear cuts on the ridge tops and is full of deer and turkeys.

This young man walks 3/4 of the way down the steep hill side and begins to hand the stand. I asked the question why there? He says so he can see the creek. I then asked whats wrong wth just sitting on th ground by the tree 5 yards behind me. He said because it is the ground. I just laughed at him.I then explained I could see better from the ground than he could from his stand. I then made the statement that he didn't need that 300 mag rifle, a slug gun or pistol would work fine anywhere on the lease since the longest shot is 125 yards.You would have thought I talked about his mother. LOL Well from there it went to a friendly wager that I could kill more deer from the ground with my pistol than he could with his rifle. It was his idea, I just accepted it. I did explain that I couldn't drag any deer because of my hip so if he was willing to drag the deer I shoot I would take his wager. He was tooooo eager to agree, he said okay. Now let me explain. The creeks are so steep I would let everything exept what I would put on the wall walk. I wouldn't want to drag anything out from there even if I had not had my hip replaced. I guess when the season opens, I hope to drop a couple of deer in the creek bottoms just for him. Since Alabama's season runs from Nov 20 until Jan 31 with a 2 deer per day limit, I think I should have a few for him to drag.

Here is the best part he thinks the only pistol I own is a .45 SA he has seen. I wonder what he will think when he sees the SBH with the 2.5x7 burris scope on it.

Oh well it's just a friendly wager and it gives me an excuse to go hunting.

If I was Better I'd be twins Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005
Re: A challenge from a member in my hunting club [Re: Bama] #10995 11/05/2005 3:40 AM
tx44hunter Offline
Best of luck. I hope the deer you and your family can't use are donated to a food pantry.

Re: A challenge from a member in my hunting club [Re: Bama] #10996 11/05/2005 3:19 PM
SeanVHA60013 Offline
LOL good shooting, and keep us informed as to how it is going. Sounds like a lot of fun

Re: A challenge from a member in my hunting club [Re: SeanVHA60013] #10997 11/05/2005 6:57 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Sound like a fun challenge to me.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: A challenge from a member in my hunting club [Re: Ernie] #10998 11/05/2005 7:48 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Pile em up like cord wood and let that young fella eat crow!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: A challenge from a member in my hunting club [Re: Bama] #10999 11/06/2005 1:44 PM
JeffD Offline
Hope you get a couple and make the young fella work. Should be fun.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod