Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First handgun doe - warning, long story #175879 11/30/2016 5:18 AM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Saturday morning dawned cold and frosty. After multiple uneventful excursions to my usual spots throughout the previous week, I decided to hunt a particular field on the north edge of our property. It's a rather large, rectangular field of about 14 acres that lies between my two food plots. If you recall the 7-point I shot with my dad's 300 Weatherby at the end of 2014, this is the field where I got him. Deer often travel north and south between two woodlots near the far eastern end, and I've come to appreciate a pair of hills on the western side of the field that shield the entrance and provide an elevated vantage point. Because it took us a while to get one of our dogs put up in his pen, shooting light had arrived by the time I crested the top of the first hill. It was light enough out that I immediately caught sight of a group of does near the eastern treeline. I got on my knees and crawled the rest of the way to the top of the hill, hoping I could lay prone within some of the grass and brush. I had to leave my 460 and its case behind, since it was getting in my way and I didn't expect a deer to get within a comfortable shooting range of either revolver. Once in position, I placed my backpack in front of me and set my 300 Winchester Magnum Encore on it.

As the sun continued to rise, I could more clearly see the group of eleven does eating fescue on the far side of the field. Although I ranged them at 248 yards, I felt quite confident I could take one of them if I so chose due to how steady my setup was. Unfortunately for me, I had decided not to shoot a doe that morning. We had to go to a Thanksgiving dinner at my grandmother's later that day, and I really didn't want to have to tend to a downed deer unless it was one of the big bucks that has evaded me all season. Soon, three more deer joined the group, bringing the herd to fourteen.

As I continued to watch the deer with my binoculars, I could easily tell which ones were fawns and which ones were adult does based on their size. Then, to my excitement, I saw a deer that was as much bigger than even the adult does. To my surprise, it didn't have antlers - it was yet another doe, albeit a massive, likely old one. She was clearly the matriarch of the group. Once the sun had risen a bit more, I decided to pull out my phone and take a few pictures.

In the second picture, the deer on the right in the scope was actually a yearling buck with one of its antlers missing. Amusingly enough, it tried to pick a fight with a button buck - that one on the left in the scope - and lost.

At about 7:20, all of the does left the field, and I saw nothing else that morning.

The next morning, a friend of my sister's came up for her first ever deer hunt. Summer and I decided that she would take Alyssa to the two-man treestand overlooking the large plot to the east of the 14 acre field. I wanted to set up in that same spot on the hill to see if I could encounter those does again, or possibly even a buck trying to find one last doe. Since I had some schoolwork that I needed to work on when I got in, I decided once again to wait on a buck.

I crested the hill and lay down in position on the hilltop, nestled within some grass and weeds. Within moments of shooting light, four does emerged from the woods to my right. I ranged them at slightly beyond 200 yards, and they slowly began moving away from me. The group was soon joined by three more, and the group fed in the far corner of the field for a few minutes. All the while, I was still debating whether or not to take one. I've never shot a doe, and I really wanted the meat. Once they moved beyond 300 yards, I decided to just let them walk. Soon, they disappeared into the woods, travelling toward Summer and Alyssa.

A gunshot echoed across the farm from Summer and Alyssa's direction. Alyssa shot one of the does, I figured. I quickly texted my sister to confirm whether that was them. She replied that Alyssa had shot a buck, and it ran off. She wanted me to come help look for it. I gathered up my Encore and backpack and began to quickly hike that direction. Once I reached the base of the hill, a doe ran into view from the far corner of the field. I quickly laid down in the grass and got my backpack and Encore set up. All seven does ran back into the field, spooked by the gunshot.

Since Alyssa had shot a buck, I knew I was already going to be busy tending to one harvested deer that morning, and my schoolwork would have to wait. With that in mind, why not add to the body count while I'm at it? I've wanted a doe since gun season opened, and here came my opportunity. Four of the does trotted up the treeline to my right, and I picked out the largest of them. She wasn't the matriarch doe from yesterday, but she would still yield plenty of good venison. I slowly scooted the Encore and backpack over and pulled the hammer back. Then, I made a slight mistake.

The doe stopped and was standing roughly where the first group had emerged earlier in the morning. I was still in my 200+ yard mindset, even though I had traveled a significant distance forward in the field, so I aimed higher than I should have. I firmly gripped the Encore, took a deep breath, exhaled, and slowly squeezed the trigger.

BOOM!

The does scattered, and I lost sight of the one I had targeted. The smell of burnt IMR 4064 filled the air. Since I had fired the only 300 Win Mag round I had on hand, I left the Encore, 460, and backpack behind as I stood to follow up on the doe. I caught sight of her as I approached the edge of the woods and drew my 41 Magnum Blackhawk. The entrance wound high on her side told me I clipped the bottom of her spine with the Barnes TTSX. I only checked to ensure she was not a button buck before I continued onward to go help the others.

Once I reached Summer and Alyssa, they recounted how Alyssa had taken a shot at a small buck. It ran off at the shot and headed for a nearby patch of woods. Unfortunately, we searched for the longest time but did not find any blood or hair on the ground. I was forced to conclude she had missed on her first ever deer hunt. Although she was initially disappointed, it seems the miss didn't dampen Alyssa's excitement for deer hunting. She wants to come back next weekend to try again.

After we gave up on our search, we went to take some pictures of my doe and start field dressing. Even though she didn't get her buck, Alyssa did get a look at what happens after the shot.

I had Summer stand over the doe while I retrieved the equipment I had left behind. When I reached my backpack and Encore, I measured 143 yards with my rangefinder between me and the doe at the shot. Had I known that, I definitely wouldn't have tried to aim high.

Needless to say, the 150 grain TTSX passed completely through the doe. The exit wound hinted at a decent amount of expansion, even on a broadside hit that only grazed the spine. I calculated the impact velocity at about 2570 fps.

Thus ended a very eventful weekend of deer hunting for me. I got my first doe, a first time hunter got a lot of experience, and now I know where to set up to get a shot with my 460. Now, if only one of those bucks or that big doe will cooperate with me . . . .

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Chance Weldon] #175880 11/30/2016 10:17 AM
Boot Offline
addict
addict
Great write up, and congratulations on the deer! Nice job!

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Boot] #175881 11/30/2016 11:18 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
Good shooting Chance!

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: racksmasher1] #175883 11/30/2016 11:42 AM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Nice doe and good shooting. Did you not have any luck with your Optima V2 during your black powder season?

Michael Joe Moore
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: REDHAWK1954] #175884 11/30/2016 12:26 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Thanks guys!

Redhawk, I didn't shoot anything with it, but I did have a few young bucks within range at different points. I did see one of those big bucks I was after, but he stayed well outside my range. I'd like to get a new scope for it and practice at longer ranges for next year.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Chance Weldon] #175885 11/30/2016 2:09 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
huge congrats!

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: reflex264] #175886 11/30/2016 2:55 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Way to go Chance. How far are you from the fires? Hope you are far outside there range.

junebug
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: reflex264] #175887 11/30/2016 2:57 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
Congratulations! Great write up, thanks for posting it!

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: karl] #175888 11/30/2016 3:14 PM
Boartuff Offline
addict
addict
Congratulations!

~BT~
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Chance Weldon] #175890 11/30/2016 3:21 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Good show, Chance. And good story. Thanks for sharing.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: s4s4u] #175893 11/30/2016 4:27 PM
thadf Offline
great story. You had me chuckling at the little buck pickin a fight - and losing!! Damn bullies!!!

Congrats on a great time.

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Chance Weldon] #175896 11/30/2016 6:57 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Congrats on a great shot!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: thadf] #175897 11/30/2016 8:07 PM
Chance Weldon Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: junebug
Way to go Chance. How far are you from the fires? Hope you are far outside there range.

Don't worry, I'm on the far end of the state from them. Hopefully those guys will finally get some of the rain that passed through here recently.

Originally Posted By: thadf
great story. You had me chuckling at the little buck pickin a fight - and losing!! Damn bullies!!!

Yeah, that was one of those moments where I'll forever regret not bringing the camera to record.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Chance Weldon] #175898 11/30/2016 8:17 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Congrats -- nicely done!

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Mark Hampton] #175899 11/30/2016 8:35 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Chance, your moving right along.................

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Chance Weldon] #175909 12/01/2016 1:15 AM
Zee Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Nice looking doe!!

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: s4s4u] #175910 12/01/2016 2:58 AM
RidgeRaider Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Good job, congratulations!

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: s4s4u] #175911 12/01/2016 3:06 AM
Ramjet-SS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well written story and that is a dandy doe some excellent eating cut those back straps 1" thick hot cast iron frying pan medium rare and yum yum.

You can't fix stupid!
Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Ramjet-SS] #175914 12/01/2016 3:34 AM
Dekker Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Congrats! on your successful hunt.

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: Dekker] #175928 12/01/2016 7:31 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Congratulations Chance!

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: SChunter] #175937 12/02/2016 1:09 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
Congrats. Great story.

Re: First handgun doe - warning, long story [Re: ruger4570] #175941 12/02/2016 2:04 AM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
Congrats TLW!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 54 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod