Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: max prasac book [Re: TM] #177050 01/03/2017 8:31 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: TM
 Originally Posted By: tradmark
but..........there was new stuff in the same articles. seems to me someone didn't read real thoroughly. there's some of the same pics and hunts but last i checked when dealing with the topic you will likely have some of the same hunts to some degree since there's just not enough of us out there hunting large and/or dangerous game to get after. seems to me we have a plethora of people shooting small game and does and squirrels and whatnot arguing what is best on dangerous game. it's present on every forum. i for one, love sitting down with a book about big bore revolvers and reading and reliving people's hunts and seeing their fine pistols when i can't hunt. last i checked not alot of people were even writing books on the subject and so if ya want more, support those that do and quit bitching.

seems to me even capstick revisited stories throughout his books. they're the best books written on the subject. i wouldn't say max reused anything, he revisited the subjects i.e. the 44 vs 45 colt and had new independent penetration tests and i, for one, applaud him for publishing the results despite being different than what was argued before. that's what a true researcher does. want new pics in a book, go freakin shoot something worth being in a book and submit your photos. till then quit whining.

I simply stated my opinion, being how this is a PUBLIC FORUM I was free to do so. Sorry a few of you got your panties in a wad.
I didn't say it was not a good book, only that some of the reused material was somewhat disappointing, to me anyway.

yeah, my panties aren't in a wad. i'm just stating my opinion of your opinion on a public forum where keyboard warriors battle. i think it was childish and whiny to comment negatively on a book that took hours upon hours and it just gets me a bit riled when someone posts a creation of theirs be it a gun/holster/book and someone gets negative. you don't like it, fine, but remember what yo mama taught ya. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. i've seen books/videos etc i didn't like everything in them but i keep my comments and critiques to myself. you should do the same.

Re: max prasac book [Re: tradmark] #177053 01/03/2017 9:51 PM
TM Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
but..........there was new stuff in the same articles. seems to me someone didn't read real thoroughly. there's some of the same pics and hunts but last i checked when dealing with the topic you will likely have some of the same hunts to some degree since there's just not enough of us out there hunting large and/or dangerous game to get after. seems to me we have a plethora of people shooting small game and does and squirrels and whatnot arguing what is best on dangerous game. it's present on every forum. i for one, love sitting down with a book about big bore revolvers and reading and reliving people's hunts and seeing their fine pistols when i can't hunt. last i checked not alot of people were even writing books on the subject and so if ya want more, support those that do and quit bitching.

seems to me even capstick revisited stories throughout his books. they're the best books written on the subject. i wouldn't say max reused anything, he revisited the subjects i.e. the 44 vs 45 colt and had new independent penetration tests and i, for one, applaud him for publishing the results despite being different than what was argued before. that's what a true researcher does. want new pics in a book, go freakin shoot something worth being in a book and submit your photos. till then quit whining.

I simply stated my opinion, being how this is a PUBLIC FORUM I was free to do so. Sorry a few of you got your panties in a wad.
I didn't say it was not a good book, only that some of the reused material was somewhat disappointing, to me anyway.

yeah, my panties aren't in a wad. i'm just stating my opinion of your opinion on a public forum where keyboard warriors battle. i think it was childish and whiny to comment negatively on a book that took hours upon hours and it just gets me a bit riled when someone posts a creation of theirs be it a gun/holster/book and someone gets negative. you don't like it, fine, but remember what yo mama taught ya. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. i've seen books/videos etc i didn't like everything in them but i keep my comments and critiques to myself. you should do the same.

I am having a hard time with the new book, just too similar to the other book, Big Bore Revolvers. A LOT of the SAME articles and photos. Just my opinion but if you are going to write another book at least write ANOTHER book. I can't read thru a complete chapter without seeing an article or picture from the first book.

And where do you see anything in my post that is negative?? There's nothing negative here, only an opinion. Now admit it, your panties ARE in a wad.

Re: max prasac book [Re: TM] #177056 01/03/2017 10:25 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
no my long johns are, i don't wear panties but i guess we transfer to others that which is familiar to us at home sometimes.
yes you said something negative, it was a negative opinion! which is ok, but i guess you should contribute in some way to this sporting endeavor if you're gonna complain. from what i've seen you haven't. nuff said, just my opinion.

Re: max prasac book [Re: tradmark] #177060 01/03/2017 11:04 PM
TM Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
no my long johns are, i don't wear panties but i guess we transfer to others that which is familiar to us at home sometimes.
yes you said something negative, it was a negative opinion! which is ok, but i guess you should contribute in some way to this sporting endeavor if you're gonna complain. from what i've seen you haven't. nuff said, just my opinion.

I expressed an opinion just like you did, nothing negative. Even if it were negative if someone can't take negative opinions the internet is not the place to post anything you don't want commented on. I never said anything negative about Max' book, even he admits there is some overlapping coverage. Now it's time for you take your ball and go home.

Re: max prasac book [Re: TM] #177065 01/03/2017 11:55 PM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
nope, mine was just an opinion, why is it bothering you so bad that i didn't like your opinion. i can take a negative opinion, i also can respond to one as well. why is that such an issue for you since opinions are a free for all since it's the internet.

Re: max prasac book [Re: tradmark] #177067 01/04/2017 12:31 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
I got my copy last Friday,and i would like to make a couple of comments,the layout of this book is awesome, there is some re-hash, no big deal at all, I thought the pictures were very good,A good compilation of our sport, as far as I know there"s only 2/3 guys putting our handgun stuff out there, Whit is one of them, I have all 3 books , I thought this was the best one!

Re: max prasac book [Re: racksmasher1] #177069 01/04/2017 1:55 AM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
I finally will get home tomorrow where mine has been waiting for me for the past 2 weeks. Can't wait to dive into it.

Re: max prasac book [Re: TM] #177081 01/04/2017 3:25 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I never said anything negative about Max' book, even he admits there is some overlapping coverage. Now it's time for you take your ball and go home.

LOL, "admit" makes it sound like I have something to be guilty about! I told the readership in the introduction chapter that I was repeating some pertinent edit.

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words, they're much appreciated. As Mark Hampton earlier stated, writing a book is a daunting task, that drains a lot out of you. However hard we try to please everyone, it's not realistic. Hope you enjoy.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: max prasac book [Re: Whitworth] #177090 01/04/2017 11:01 AM
Boot Offline
addict
addict
Pertaining to "repetitive content", speaking for myself only, I have read many books that I considered to be well above average more than a single read. Some fiction, some history, some sci-fi, and some non fiction including Max's Big Bore Revolvers, and the History of Ruger Revolvers. Reading a book more than once is surely repetitive, and speaks to the quality of the book. I suspect I am not the only one that has read some books more than once, and only books that are enjoyed the first time get more time. I'm looking forward to reading the new book when it arrives, and I may even read it twice, even if it does contain some of the same pictures and a few words I've alreardy read twice. Whitworth, thanks for taking the time to collect and log your own experiences into written form. I struggle myself to write up a good short story to post here about a deer I killed. I can only imagine the time/effort that goes into a full book.

Re: max prasac book [Re: Boot] #177092 01/04/2017 3:34 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
IMO it would be next to impossible to write one book about big bore revolvers and yet another about hunting revolvers without sharing some content. The two topics are closely related. I applaud the effort, Max.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: max prasac book [Re: s4s4u] #177096 01/04/2017 4:47 PM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
IMO it would be next to impossible to write one book about big bore revolvers and yet another about hunting revolvers without sharing some content. The two topics are closely related. I applaud the effort, Max.

X2

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: max prasac book [Re: s4s4u] #177156 01/07/2017 12:06 AM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u

nicely said Rod...........

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: max prasac book [Re: jamesfromjersey] #177171 01/07/2017 6:37 PM
bowmag Offline
I don't look at books like those written by Max, John Taffin, and others as simply a book like a novel. To me they are reference libraries to be read and studied many times. If I knew everything they know I wouldn't need to read anymore. I still look back to Gary's first two printed "magazines". They are very well done as are Max's books. Thank you gentlemen.

Re: max prasac book [Re: bowmag] #177172 01/07/2017 7:51 PM
REDHAWK1954 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
[quote=bowmag]I don't look at books like those written by Max, John Taffin, and others as simply a book like a novel. To me they are reference libraries to be read and studied many times. If I knew everything they know I wouldn't need to read anymore. I still look back to Gary's first two printed "magazines". They are very well done as are Max's books. Thank you gentlemen. [ /quote]

What he said!!!!,

Michael Joe Moore
Re: max prasac book [Re: REDHAWK1954] #182653 08/19/2017 4:09 AM
cessna Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I just finished reading Max's new book on Hunting Revolvers. I've been using the same .44 SB for years and wanting to get into a hunting handgun more modern. It definitely gave me a lot to think about. It will become a reference book for me I'm sure. One thing I found interesting in the book was in the chapter with the more famous handgun hunters in the rear of the book. It seemed as though they all used the 454. Not all but most. I also had not thought about the dot-sight. That really got me thinking. My eyes are not what they used to be. Anyway thanks for writing it. It really helped me go in the right direction.

Re: max prasac book [Re: cessna] #182654 08/19/2017 12:45 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: cessna
I just finished reading Max's new book on Hunting Revolvers. I've been using the same .44 SB for years and wanting to get into a hunting handgun more modern. It definitely gave me a lot to think about. It will become a reference book for me I'm sure. One thing I found interesting in the book was in the chapter with the more famous handgun hunters in the rear of the book. It seemed as though they all used the 454. Not all but most. I also had not thought about the dot-sight. That really got me thinking. My eyes are not what they used to be. Anyway thanks for writing it. It really helped me go in the right direction.

Cessna, thank you for the kind words. Posts like yours make the overwhelming labor well with the effort. Thank you!

Red dots are a great alternative to open iron sites as they don't magnify. While relatively long shots can be taken with a red dot, I personally like the up close and personal aspect of handgun hunting and the red dot helps particularly as the eyes get older. Plus, they are great in low light!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: max prasac book [Re: Whitworth] #182655 08/19/2017 3:08 PM
cessna Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Whitworth, I totally agree with the up close and personal
aspect of hunting. I've a gun cabinet full of scoped rifles, but have found myself hunting with my lever-actions more. I've only hunted deer and javalina and a few bears with the .44. And a mountain lion or two. I would like to hunt some African game and also some eastern deer. Thus the reason for a more modern handgun. I think it also boils down to just wanting a new revolver with a few modern twists. Anyway I really enjoyed the book, thanks for taking the time to write it. I don't know which way I'm going yet. More than likely a single-action with the red dot. I'll have to think about the caliber a bit. I have a lever-action rifle in 45LC and really enjoy it. I'd never considered it as a handgun cartridge until I read your book. I think I'd like the 454 just to have a big-bore. I will probably read the book again to help me.

Re: max prasac book [Re: cessna] #182657 08/19/2017 5:25 PM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
No matter how many of these books you read I can assure you, you will always learn something, all of us do, no matter how much experience you have.
Eastern hunting is different than western hunting, African hunting is different than hunting safari style in Texas, the 44 magnum you refer to as old & not very modern compared to some of the newer hot rods, it all gets explained in these books by authors who have tried, failed & then succeeded over many years by getting out in the game fields & finding out what works. There's no easy way to get there.
Handgun hunting demands patience, practice, failure, more practice, experimenting, more practice, swapping ideas, more practice....you get the idea.
No one was born a successful handgun hunter, you earn you way into it. If optics are a necessity that red dot could be the answer, I've tried them twice & they weren't for me but I'm going to try one a third time because both previous times when they cost me a muley buck it was really the situation, not the dot sight that caused the problem. Most times I carry 2 sixguns, one sicking out of the top of my backpack, the second in a good (Barranti) shoulder or belt rig.
Read, re-reading & then practicing what you read in these books speeds up the learning curve & saves you much time & money from guys with years of experience.
Don't be offended to hunt high fence property, you have to gain experience somehow. Hunting one week a year for one deer is a hard way to learn. Get some experience under your belt & then move up the food chain. Some of us can hunt every day, others have to drive 2 hours just to find a tin can to tumble.
If you truly want to be a sixgunner study what you read, don't over gun, you can slow down a big gun!! And then get out there, don't talk about it, do it!!!!! I've always found there are 2 kinds of sixgunners, those that can & those that talk about it, which are you, challenge yourself.

Dick

Re: max prasac book [Re: sixshot] #182661 08/19/2017 6:36 PM
cessna Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks sixshot, that's good advise. I remember in about 1963 when I shot my first game animal with a 44. It was looked on as some sort of stunt. Things have changed greatly in the years following. I really do want to try the red dot sighting system. It will be totally new for me. As I am a get as close as you can type hunter it just might work out fine for me. I remember my first trip to Africa in the late 60's. It was completely different than what I was used to. But reading about it today, it's totally different now than in the 60's. I tend to keep things forever that work for me. In reading books like Max's it makes me want to try something different.

Re: max prasac book [Re: cessna] #182664 08/19/2017 7:05 PM
45MAN Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
NEVER HEARD OF THIS BOOK UNTIL NOW, JUST BOUGHT 1 ON EBAY, LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING AND READING IT.

"ADAPT OR DIE". I USE ALL CAPS, NOT BECAUSE I AM YELLING, BUT BECAUSE IT IS AN OLD HABIT FROM MY ARMY DAYS, PLUS IT IS EASIER TO TYPE AND READ.
Re: max prasac book [Re: sixshot] #182670 08/19/2017 7:56 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
Hunting one week a year for one deer is a hard way to learn.

Dick

This is the reason I went to a fenced outfit (way back when) to take my first boar.... It sucked waiting one year just to make one shot....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: max prasac book [Re: 45MAN] #182676 08/20/2017 12:17 AM
cessna Offline
journeyman
journeyman
45MAN, it really opened up some new things for me. I'd been hunting with the same old 44 for years and really found out how much it had changed. It's put a new excitement back into it for me. I tend to listen to someone whom I feel writes from experience. Max's writing seems to be from someone who has been there and done that. His conclusions make sense to me, and he makes his case for the various calibers well. I think you will enjoy the book like I did.

Re: max prasac book [Re: sixshot] #182678 08/20/2017 1:05 AM
racksmasher1 Offline
veteran
veteran
No matter how many of these books you read I can assure you, you will always learn something, all of us do, no matter how much experience you have.
Eastern hunting is different than western hunting, African hunting is different than hunting safari style in Texas, the 44 magnum you refer to as old & not very modern compared to some of the newer hot rods, it all gets explained in these books by authors who have tried, failed & then succeeded over many years by getting out in the game fields & finding out what works. There's no easy way to get there.
Handgun hunting demands patience, practice, failure, more practice, experimenting, more practice, swapping ideas, more practice....you get the idea.
No one was born a successful handgun hunter, you earn you way into it. If optics are a necessity that red dot could be the answer, I've tried them twice & they weren't for me but I'm going to try one a third time because both previous times when they cost me a muley buck it was really the situation, not the dot sight that caused the problem. Most times I carry 2 sixguns, one sicking out of the top of my backpack, the second in a good (Barranti) shoulder or belt rig.
Read, re-reading & then practicing what you read in these books speeds up the learning curve & saves you much time & money from guys with years of experience.
Don't be offended to hunt high fence property, you have to gain experience somehow. Hunting one week a year for one deer is a hard way to learn. Get some experience under your belt & then move up the food chain. Some of us can hunt every day, others have to drive 2 hours just to find a tin can to tumble.
If you truly want to be a sixgunner study what you read, don't over gun, you can slow down a big gun!! And then get out there, don't talk about it, do it!!!!! I've always found there are 2 kinds of sixgunners, those that can & those that talk about it, which are you, challenge yourself.

Dick
TRUTH!

Re: max prasac book [Re: jamesfromjersey] #182679 08/20/2017 1:10 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Hunting one week a year for one deer is a hard way to learn.

Dick

This is the reason I went to a fenced outfit (way back when) to take my first boar.... It sucked waiting one year just to make one shot....

I use them for testing purposes. Nothing more credible than putting bullet to flesh IMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: max prasac book [Re: Whitworth] #182684 08/20/2017 4:25 AM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
Yeah but its alot like africa. Very much so. Great practice and highly applicable. Ive been charged more in texas than africa!

Re: max prasac book [Re: sixshot] #182697 08/20/2017 8:12 PM
cmnash Offline
veteran
veteran
And then get out there, don't talk about it, do it!!!!! I've always found there are 2 kinds of sixgunners, those that can & those that talk about it, which are you, challenge yourself.

Dick

TRUTH! Killing stuff with a sixgun is not an everyman skill.

Re: max prasac book [Re: cmnash] #182699 08/20/2017 11:43 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Max,

Just finished RE-reading Hunting Revolvers (third time through). Believe it or not; but the text and photos were exactly the same as the first time I read it. However, every time I read and re-read a book, I find new information or a new way to consider the information presented. A most informative and enjoyable read, no matter how many times I read your book(s).
Excellent job, as usual! Keep up the work!

Doc

Re: max prasac book [Re: doc with a glock] #182701 08/21/2017 12:31 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Good books should be savored ,read and re read. As Doc said something new pops up every time you re read a good book.

junebug
Re: max prasac book [Re: doc with a glock] #182709 08/21/2017 12:49 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: doc with a glock
Max,

Just finished RE-reading Hunting Revolvers (third time through). Believe it or not; but the text and photos were exactly the same as the first time I read it. However, every time I read and re-read a book, I find new information or a new way to consider the information presented. A most informative and enjoyable read, no matter how many times I read your book(s).

Doc

Thanks a bunch, Doc! I appreciate it!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: max prasac book [Re: doc with a glock] #182710 08/21/2017 1:37 PM
ruger4570 Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: doc with a glock
Max,

Doc

This is so true. Maybe since reading a book you have acquired a new gun, tried a different load/bullet, have started hunting a different game or in a different method, etc. When reading the book again you may read something that you just scanned before since it didn't seem to affect you then. Now it clicks....

Re: max prasac book [Re: 45MAN] #182724 08/22/2017 12:13 AM
bamabow Offline
Just finished it this weekend while on vacation. Great Book.
Thanks Max

Bamabow

Re: max prasac book [Re: bamabow] #182747 08/22/2017 1:07 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: bamabow
Just finished it this weekend while on vacation. Great Book.
Thanks Max

Bamabow

Thank you, sir!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: max prasac book [Re: Whitworth] #182764 08/23/2017 1:00 AM
tradmark Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
When u consider layout, photos, information, and writing style i consider it the finest book of its type!

Re: max prasac book [Re: tradmark] #182765 08/23/2017 1:19 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
When u consider layout, photos, information, and writing style i consider it the finest book of its type!

That's an enormous compliment, thank you!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: max prasac book [Re: 45MAN] #182780 08/23/2017 1:10 PM
reflex264 Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I haven't finished it but so far so good. Very enjoyable. May finish it this weekend. Beautiful layout and photos!

"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....
Re: max prasac book [Re: 45MAN] #182784 08/23/2017 3:52 PM
Craig44 Offline
addict
addict
IMHO, it is the finest book on handgun hunting extant. I remember how instantly impressed I was the first time I cracked it open. I'm probably biased but it is exceedingly well done!

Re: max prasac book [Re: Craig44] #182821 08/24/2017 9:23 PM
bamabow Offline
Just got my American Hunter yesterday and saw where You (Max) had an article in it about handguns. Haven't read it yet, but congrats.

Bamabow

Re: max prasac book [Re: bamabow] #182823 08/24/2017 11:01 PM
bowmag Offline
The American Hunter article is a good one. Lots of good info. Well done, Max.

Re: max prasac book [Re: bowmag] #182841 08/25/2017 4:27 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: max prasac book [Re: Whitworth] #182874 08/26/2017 10:59 AM
Newt Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I very recently finished both Big Bore Revolvers and Hunting Revolvers. I think they are both magnificent and will be referring to them often. As a matter of fact, based on Max's writing, I decided to add a SRH in .480 Ruger to my collection of handguns. I bought from a member and can't wait to get it in my hands. I will now have a SBH Hunter in .44 Mag and a .480.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod