Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kids pheasant hunt #176924 01/01/2017 1:55 PM
rougerocco Offline OP
OP Offline
For the past 7 years I have been taking my nephews out to a pheasant preserve here in Michigan on Christmas break. It is the Christmas gift that always fits too! Last year I took my son who was 5 out with us. He was disappointed because I didn't give him any bullets for his .22cal gun. So this year I got him a Daisy BB gun to carry and have been working on gun safety. My friend took his son who is the same age as mine, so the young boys had BB guns and would finish off any crippled birds. Everyone had a good time and the memories will last a lifetime! Feeling blessed

Re: Kids pheasant hunt [Re: rougerocco] #176927 01/01/2017 3:29 PM
S.B. Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Great idea. Glad some still want younger shooters to begin enjoying the sport. Years past, seemed every family(usually the older men) practiced this but, recently, most seem to value hunting traditions less.
I still remember my first pheasant and squirrel hunts with dad and older brothers(treasured memories). And when dad finally sprung for a single shot .22 rifle I was in Heaven(passed it on to my eldest granddaughter recently)!!
Steve

Last edited by S.B.; 01/01/2017 3:31 PM.

"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Re: Kids pheasant hunt [Re: S.B.] #177032 01/03/2017 3:06 PM
cherokeetracker Offline
old hand
old hand
Each child is sooooo different especially around guns. Some are more than ready at 5 and others have to wait till 9yrs old or longer. Single shots are great starters and gun safety should be paramount.
So much should also be taught about woodsmanship and conservation. This in turn helps to preserve the future of hunting. When teaching a child to stalk and walk and how to move through the woods, for some small game such as squirrels and rabbits, it really helps for later on, when they advance to Deer or other big game.
Being with a child and coaching them and mentoring them seems to be a lost thing nowadays.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod