Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thinking About Hand Loading #177419 01/12/2017 4:27 PM
ScoutV2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,

I am new to the hand loading concept. I am also new to handgun hunting and am hooked! I currently have a CVA in 44 Mag and am looking at getting an Encore possibly in 357 maximum.

Can anyone suggest the best way for a beginner to start hand loading keeping in mind 44 Mag and 357 maximum will be the two rounds I am looking at for starting.

Will also take any suggestions on the 357 maximum or any other cartridges comparable to this one.

Thanks!

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: ScoutV2] #177421 01/12/2017 5:28 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
Welcome to Reloading!
A couple thoughts
FYI, I mostly load bottle neck cartridges and reload for accuracy, bullet selection (spire point bullets in 30-30) and cost (hunt with copper bullets) so these comments come from that experience.

1) If you can find someone local with experience to mentor you in person a few times that will help a lot. After that, Youtube and places like this are great resources.

2) I got into it with a basic "kit" for ~$300 if I can remember. Shooting for a single shot pistol means that you can easily start with a single stage press and load enough in an evening to provide several hours or more of fun at the range.

-Get at least one good reloading manual. Most of them have a front section which walks you through the reloading process with steps, instructions and pictures before giving you a bunch of reloading recipes in the back of the book that the publishers have deemed "safe" in good condition firearms. I forget which ones I find most useful, but it will also depend on the platform (rifle or pistol) and cartridge you use.
-If you weigh the powder (best way to get the most accurate loads), go with an old fashion manual scale and be weary of cheap electronics (I found they drifted). A powder throw and powder trickler are great things to help you load more rounds quickly if you weigh. If the powder works well in the throw, you can skip weighing and still get acceptable accuracy.
-a hand primer is a great investment and usually faster then priming with the press, but others like the press for repetability.
-Lots of manufactures make good equipment and many of the things you can mix and match, but make sure the dies and press are compatible (thread size/pitch or quick change twist lock)

There are tons of little tools and tricks you can stumble on/discover as you need them.

Beyond equipment and such, I would suggest a space where you can store/use all your reloading supplies relatively undisturbed for extended periods of time. This can grow and change as you do more, but don't expect the kitchen table to work very well for very long.

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: ScoutV2] #177422 01/12/2017 5:29 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
A 357max would be great imo, although id prefer it in a G2 contender. I would purchase said barrel in a custom configuration from match grade machine(MGM). Reasonably priced compared to factory barrels!

be great if you had a local to kind of coach you along on handoading. Plus read, study, and ask questions as you go. first step would be to buy a good reloading manual and study the front section extensively.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: KYODE] #177423 01/12/2017 5:33 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Lol....1 min apart on our replies.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: KYODE] #177424 01/12/2017 5:45 PM
ScoutV2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. I am looking at the Hornady lock n load classic kit. Anyone know if this is a yay or nay Its in my price range and I have had good experience out of other Hornady products.

Also I am Interested in learning more about the 357 Max if yall have any references to read or personal experiences.

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: ScoutV2] #177425 01/12/2017 7:25 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
That looks like a good start. (fyi I have all RCBS equipment)
1) I really like the idea of the twist lock die retention system after dealing with RCBS's stupid set screws in their lock nuts. They never seem to lock securely on the threads. I think the twist lock is a great idea, but have no experience to say if they work well.
2) I would start looking for a used or on-sale manual scale if you want to maintain tight consistency of your powder weights. You can certainly load thousands of rounds of ammo that will group at less then 2" at 100 yards with the kit electronic scale.
3) I would look for an additional reloading manual to get another source of data (in addition to asking others to share). In my experience (shared by a few others here) the Hornady reloading manual often lists max loads for specific bullet/powder combinations that are below the minimum load set by the powder manufacturer for the same combination.
4) FYI There have been discussions about quality problems with hornady brass and bullets on this forum. I know their 30-30 brass does not last very long in my use compared to other brands.

5) I don't reload much straight wall/pistol loads, but 357 max seems like a very nice deer load.

Last edited by karl; 01/12/2017 7:26 PM.
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: karl] #177428 01/12/2017 8:01 PM
ScoutV2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I appreciate the input! I am looking for a fun handgun for coyote/deer that is my intended use for the 357 Max. Plus it gives me another excuse for a new toy
\:\)

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: ScoutV2] #177429 01/12/2017 8:18 PM
N-Frame Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hornady uses an electronic scale. Some electronic scales are inaccurate when the batteries get weak and, of course, quit working when they die. What ever kit you get, read the manual! and yes, youtube can be a big help.

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: N-Frame] #177452 01/12/2017 11:24 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Another vote for a beam scale. I like the KISS approach especially in the beginning. Been through the electronic scale routine. Problems can creep in unnoticed at first. A simple check on the beam scale is to have a bullet weighed and mark it for checking calibration from time to time.

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: FA834ME] #177461 01/13/2017 1:51 AM
Chance Weldon Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have the Lock n Load kit and can attest to it's quality. Yes, it comes with an electronic scale, which I had to replace after a few years. It also lacks dial calipers, which you'll need if you want to precisely and accurately measure certain cartridge dimensions. Other than that it's an excellent kit.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 01/14/2017 4:41 AM. Reason: Typo

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: Chance Weldon] #177464 01/13/2017 6:12 AM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
I started out with the Lee Classic Loaders which are caliber specific and cost little to get started reloading and worked my way up to better equipment as the money for it came.
If you shoot a lot it will pay for itself and add to the fact you can tailor your loads to your guns. I use a Lee reloading manual as my primary guide for loads.

Charlie

Charlie

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: karl] #177470 01/13/2017 1:54 PM
ScoutV2 Offline OP
OP Offline
[quote=karl]
2) I would start looking for a used or on-sale manual scale if you want to maintain tight consistency of your powder weights. You can certainly load thousands of rounds of ammo that will group at less then 2" at 100 yards with the kit electronic scale.

What brand/quality scale would y'all recommend to start looking for?

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: ScoutV2] #177473 01/13/2017 3:45 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
What brand/quality scale would y'all recommend to start looking for?

I use an older RCBS 5-10 which works great. It has magnetic dampening which saves a lot of time. I can take forever for the pointer to settle down without dampening. I throw most my powders with Lyman 55's to save time and just use the scale to check weight every now and again.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: s4s4u] #177478 01/13/2017 4:24 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
[quote=s4s4u]
 Quote:
I use an older RCBS 5-10 which works great. It has magnetic dampening which saves a lot of time. I can take forever for the pointer to settle down without dampening. I throw most my powders with Lyman 55's to save time and just use the scale to check weight every now and again.

x2
I got the smaller or the RCBS scales available, since you are always measuring a few (5-50ish) grains precisely. The heaviest thing you will measure are the bullets if you want to weight sort them.

When following good reloading practice to get the most accuracy out of your gun and loads you need consistancy, thus the MOST important point of a scale is repeatability not accuracy. I didn't feel the electronic scale gave me that when it drifted during use due to warm up and changing battery power levels.

Now with all these comments about scales. The electronic scales will work for you until you get to the point where you recognize their shortcomings and want to upgrade. Just use your calibration weight often and re-tare often,

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: s4s4u] #177479 01/13/2017 4:29 PM
Handgun400 Offline
addict
addict
Dot it. Start handloading. You'll never regret it.

I started with the RCBS Rockchucker Master kit based on personal recommendations from a lot of (admittedly) old timers who hadn't used the Hornady stuff.

As a result I shoot a lot more, shoot better ammunition (based on mass quantity production and higher quality control on my end plus I shoot exactly what I want at or near the velocities I want.

The guys on here have been a treasure trove of information and support. Not a better place to be.

My filter is broken.
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: karl] #177482 01/13/2017 4:39 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
There are few cartridges that are easier to load for than the 357 and 44 but you must buy the Carbide dies. All of my gear is RCBS except for the dies. I like the Redding dies but even if you only get the competition seater from Redding, you'll still want a separate die to seat and crimp the bullets. I don't like doing it in one step but you can. In my experience the Hornady electronic powder measure and scale is lame and I can charge and weigh a case faster manually. It takes about twice the time to throw a charge as the RCBS version which I have and like a lot, especially when loading high cap rifle cartridges using 70-100 grains of powder. I use a manual beam scale and powder measure from RCBS too and and I recommend you get the micrometer adjustment accessory for the powder measure if you're going manual. Using a manual powder measure is all about technique to get an accurate charge. To get an accurate charge you have to hit the top and bottom stroke the same every time and when the powder runs low the charges seem to get heavier so keep the hopper with at least 1/3 full always.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: Gary] #177488 01/13/2017 6:04 PM
ScoutV2 Offline OP
OP Offline
As I read thru these comments All I have seen is RCBS. Im going to go out on a limb here and say it is the press to get.

Can someone take a look at this and let me know what they think?

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/937051/...CFU86gQodMDEOng

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: ScoutV2] #177491 01/13/2017 6:26 PM
karl Offline
old hand
old hand
It is an excellent kit (so was the other one you were looking at). People say the rock chucker is the bomb. Often used for larger bottle neck cases and full length resizing. I suspect you will have way more leverage and power then you will need for straight wall pistol brass.
With the exception of the locking method on the dies, I think it is a good choice.

If you are going to shoot for tight powder weights, expect to use a manual powder trickler (not included).

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: Gary] #177492 01/13/2017 6:27 PM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i second the carbide dies, a must, as well as the rcbs powder measure is an absolutely must.

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: N-Frame] #177503 01/13/2017 9:39 PM
ScoutV2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks again guys for all the help. I guess to follow up my intent is more for precession/wildcat cartridges. I looking for quality not quantity. I currently have a 44 mag and 444 marlin. I am lusting after a 357 maximum. The 44 and (when I get it) the 357 max are single shots. and the 444 I only take out a couple times a season.

I feel if I get into reloading I will most likely get into more wildcat cartridges. I love the single shot pistols.

Re: Thinking About Hand Loading [Re: ScoutV2] #177508 01/13/2017 10:50 PM
FA834ME Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
My first press was the RCBS Jr. Great for straight wall pistol cases. Next came the Rock Chucker which was "The Bomb" for rifle cartridges back then. I haven't seen any other single stage press I would want to replace it with. There are plenty of good ones for sure and it becomes the Ford Chevy argument. The Redding Turret is great and adds versitilty to single stage operation. I got the Dillon 450 when they first came out for feeding competition guns. I prefer their dies for pistol cartridges. Still using a 5 10 RCBS scale after wearing out an Ohaus 10 10.
Tried the Lyman electric and was disappointed. An RCBS powder measure is damn accurate for pistol powder like H110 or Unique. I use the double tap method at the top and bottom of the throw for consistency. Lots of good stuff out there to choose from. ENJOY!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod