Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bugling Bull Elk #178057 01/22/2017 6:18 PM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I filmed this young bull after an incredibly exciting stalk.

Bugling Bull

Notice he urinates on his rear legs!

\:D

Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Gregg Richter] #178078 01/22/2017 11:36 PM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
Nice Gregg....Nothing better than being in GOD's creation and witnessing it in action.

Charlie

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD
Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: AK hgunner1] #178090 01/23/2017 2:28 AM
bowmag Offline
He'll be a nice one when he grows up. Love elk and hunting them.

Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Gregg Richter] #178396 01/29/2017 6:15 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
He is very symmetrical and IF he grows up he should score very well.

;\)

Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Gregg Richter] #178398 01/29/2017 6:29 AM
AK hgunner1 Offline
addict
addict
If ??????

Charlie

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD
Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: AK hgunner1] #178399 01/29/2017 6:33 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: AK hgunner1
If ??????

Just sayin'.

Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Gregg Richter] #178400 01/29/2017 1:31 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Today is a gift, Tomorrow is not guaranteed, even for an elk.

junebug
Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: junebug] #178405 01/29/2017 4:33 PM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
What I think Gregg is saying when he says IF that bull gets to grow up...

In this state, bull elk aren't what they used to be. Almost NOBODY passes on bulls at all. We have a 4 point restriction, and yet spike bulls get shot every year. MOST of the time, not always, but most of the time it is an out of state hunter that has paid a lot of money to get a tag, traveled a long ways, sees a bull, and shoots it because he doesn't want to go home empty handed. They don't care how big it is, as long as it's a bull. Then they go home to their buddies, and brag about how they shot a bull elk in the Rocky Mountains. Tons of spike bulls get confiscated every year. One of my buddies is a game warden, and he is constantly telling me of what they had to confiscate, and the "excuses" they are given all the time.

The bulls here have a VERY low chance of really growing into what they are capable of. Public land is hunted so hard that it looks like a pumpkin patch (orange hunting vests everywhere) when the sun comes up. Private land has trespassers all over the place, and elk just don't have a chance to grow up.

Our place sits right at 9500 feet, and we do see some good adult bulls up there from time to time, but even the game wardens will tell you that bulls have very little chance of making it past three years old in this state. We've seen herds where the herd bull looks like it should have been a satellite bull, and that's not good.

Sorry to get off topic, but it's just a pet peeve that people can't follow a 4 point restriction. Nice video Gregg. Always fun to see that stuff.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.
Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Raptortrapper] #178443 01/31/2017 12:17 AM
Ramjet-SS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I really despise generalizations about certain groups of hunters because more times than not they are not accurate. I was out in Colorado one year a resident Hunter pulled a gun on another CO Hunter saying he stole his sons elk. The fact is the kid shot the bull then could not relocate it in the mean time these guys had gotten another elk away from the kids. But first guy and son sees these guys dragging out this elk accuses them of stealing the kids and pulls the gun to make his point. We found the kids elk a few days later bloated up. So even though both these guys were resident Colorado hunters it would foolish for me to generalize and say all Resident hunters are the reason hunting sucks. In this case the individual who drew the gun is a moron period nd of story.

Colorado has allot of private land prices are exhorbanant and out of reach there allot of huge bulls in Colorado on private huge ranches. Tax free land. land that belongs to tax payers but no access because money land locks it from Hunter access. Nope all sorts of issues in Colorado the least of which is non-resident hunters. I might also mention the total dollars that non-resident hunters contribute to the conservation of elk is very high compared to the amount resident hunters pay with regards to license and contribution to the local economies. Most non residents have a small window compared to resident guys specially with archery. So yea they may not have the high standards you do. Not unusual for a non resident to pay a trespass fee of 2-5K that's a pile of cash for dang ole elk.

So please keep the generalizations to yourself because they are founded in emotion and folklore.

Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 01/31/2017 12:21 AM.

You can't fix stupid!
Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Ramjet-SS] #178444 01/31/2017 12:33 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
 Originally Posted By: Ramjet-SS
I really despise generalizations about certain groups of hunters because more times than not they are not accurate. I was out in Colorado one year a resident Hunter pulled a gun on another CO Hunter saying he stole his sons elk. The fact is the kid shot the bull then could not relocate it in the mean time these guys had gotten another elk away from the kids. But first guy and son sees these guys dragging out this elk accuses them of stealing the kids and pulls the gun to make his point. We found the kids elk a few days later bloated up. So even though both these guys were resident Colorado hunters it would foolish for me to generalize and say all Resident hunters are the reason hunting sucks. In this case the individual who drew the gun is a moron period nd of story.

Colorado has allot of private land prices are exhorbanant and out of reach there allot of huge bulls in Colorado on private huge ranches. Tax free land. land that belongs to tax payers but no access because money land locks it from Hunter access. Nope all sorts of issues in Colorado the least of which is non-resident hunters. I might also mention the total dollars that non-resident hunters contribute to the conservation of elk is very high compared to the amount resident hunters pay with regards to license and contribution to the local economies. Most non residents have a small window compared to resident guys specially with archery. So yea they may not have the high standards you do. Not unusual for a non resident to pay a trespass fee of 2-5K that's a pile of cash for dang ole elk.

So please keep the generalizations to yourself because they are founded in emotion and folklore.

Show me where I said "ALL", and I'll gladly appologize. Until then, I stand by what I said. And nobody is making anyone come here. They do it all on their own. Out of state fees here have been among the lowest in the nation for years until just a few years ago. Residents here actually fought the idea of raising out of state license fees, but it was put in place anyway. That's the gripe with the DOW here-- they do things for money a lot of times, rather than for the conservation of critters. Not saying I agree or disagree with that, but that is the gripe heard most often. Gregg is a guide, I'm sure he's heard it a million times.

Absolutely there are bad hunters here in Colorado. They drive me nuts too. Your state has them too, as does every other state in this great Nation. I'd be willing to bet most of the poaching in your state is done by out of state guys as well. I don't have proof of your state, but in Colorado, I can pretty much show ya proof. Talk to any game warden here on the western slope, or call the DPW in Denver, and they'll tell ya the exact same thing. Ask them if most of the illegal critters are taken by resident, or non resident, and see what your answer is.

I don't mind anyone taking a legal, 4 point bull. I have done it myself. I don't pass on legal animals. Ya can't eat antlers, and I'm looking to fill a freezer. But I do it LEGALLY. That's all anyone should do, in state or out of state. Those are the "high standards" I have that you speak of. I never said anything about letting bulls grow up to be huge trophies before shooting them. If that is what you assumed I meant, that's not my problem.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Raptortrapper] #178445 01/31/2017 2:39 AM
Ramjet-SS Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Stupid hunters are just that. How many illegal bulls do think are harvested every year? What are the numbers? Of those caught how many are non-residents how many are residents?

I do not want to get into a full blown pissing contest here it's not worth it
. So we will agree some hunters are slobs or not very educated as to the laws or game. Neither if like those sorts of folks no matter where they hail from.

Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 01/31/2017 2:46 AM.

You can't fix stupid!
Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Ramjet-SS] #178446 01/31/2017 3:17 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I completely agree with ya that the "unknown" numbers are way up there. Doesn't matter if they are resident or not, it's still wrong. And to me, they are not "hunters" in my definition of the word. I do think those that poach, more times than not, are very aware of what they are doing. Yeah, accidents happen, but I don't think poaching is done by accident.

And yeah, I agree. We're on the same team. No pissing match was intended.

Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: Gregg Richter] #178454 01/31/2017 5:35 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

;\)

Considering the video was taken in 2009, I'd say this bull has passed on to the quakies in the sky by now...perhaps with a little assistance from Mr Richter
;\)

Re: Bugling Bull Elk [Re: SChunter] #178473 02/01/2017 6:50 AM
Gregg Richter Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Ram and Rap, You are both mostly correct here and both of you as well as most of us can easily get emotionally involved over issues such as "slob hunters" and poachers; whether they are residents or non-residents.

This is a good place to move forward and agree to agree as well as agree to disagree...
;\)

Originally Posted By: SChunter
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

;\)

Considering the video was taken in 2009, I'd say this bull has passed on to the quakies in the sky by now...perhaps with a little assistance from Mr Richter
;\)

As far as the year goes, SCHunter, you are very observant as well as correct as to when I filmed this bull.

As for your "taken in good spirits" comment about whether or not I hunted and killed him, my honest answer is No Sir, I did not.

Let me explain my statement: I filmed this bull in the northern-most part of a GMU that I have rarely ever hunted, due to the fact of the preference points needed to draw that area. I would rather hunt than watch NFL Football; although I DO LOVE to watch it; just NOT when I could be out looking for a buck or bull.

Since I love to hunt, I prefer to draw an elk tag every year or at least every 2 years. Therefore, I always apply for the "lesser quality areas" where the tags are more readily available; even though the odds are lower in these areas of finding a quality animal. But I do my homework, and I hunt very seriously. IMO it is possible to find a GOOD animal in ANY GMU here in Colorado; ya just gotta work for it much harder in these lesser areas.

I mostly hunt about 50-70 miles south of where I filmed that young brute, so unless he migrated that far, I never saw him again.

Now, having said that, I do believe that he has probably "passed on to the quakies in the sky by now;" whether from a hunter, a non-human predator, or even winter kill/old age by now.
\:\(

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod